mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Where are you?

Send a message via AIM to grantis2911

Thread revived: Buying new irons...and other things golf

I am just starting to really get into golf and my parents offered to get me some new irons. Any suggestions out there? I'm looking to stay in about the $400-$600 dollar range. Right now at the local golf store they have a lefty set of TaylorMade Burner 1.0 3-PW set for $400 that I'm leaning towards but just wondering if you know of any other nice set in that range (also looked at Callaway Diablo's). Also, just wanting to pick you brains on anything golf. Are shoes neccesary? What ball do you hit? Do you use a glove? Also, are there any Mcb-like forums focusing on golf?

Last edited by grantis2911; 03-31-2012 at 06:01 PM.
grantis2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Try and get the Burner 1.0s cheaper , they're not a "current" set of clubs, haggle 'em down a bit .

Great clubs though, a buddy of mine has a set.

I dont know squat about the Diablo's, I use an older set of x18's and they're figgen sexy.

As for shoes...meh, I've never seen the need to wear golf cleats, I just rock my Circa's on the course's but someone may chime on in and say golf cleats are the greatest thing since CCM...

Balls...I am particular to Callaway Warbirds. The feel of those balls matches up well to my clubs.
Different clubs like different balls, hell...even different swings like different balls, try a few different types out and see what works and feels good to you with the clubs you decide to use...balls. hehe

I use a glove! In fact...I've been dabbling with the idea of using....2 gloves!!! hahaha. I havent seen it but I dont think theres a "rule" against it.

I dont know if theres any golf forums like mcb or not...probably is if you search on google but I aint on any of 'em.
-happy swingin'.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stange, but not a stanger

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
I'm a fan of TaylorMade clubs, though you can probably get those a little cheaper. You can find good prices on previous model equipment at RockBottomGolf.com. Most of the name brand game improvement irons are similar, key is getting ones that fit you and look good to your eye at address. Make sure you hit them first. Are you substantially taller/shorter than average? If so, you will want to have the irons and all your clubs fitted for you. It may cost you a few dollars, but it will save you a lot of headaches in the future. Badly misfit clubs can cause major compensating swing flaws.

Balls are a personal choice, try a few different ones. I tend to use Titleist and TaylorMade. I have also used Callaway. Only balls I really can't stand are Nike, or any of their other golf equipment for that matter.

I always use a glove, but I have diminished feeling in part of my left hand and I feel the glove helps to even out the feeling. People do wear two, there is a player on tour (Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey) who does. If it feels good for you, then go ahead.

Golf shoes are not absolutely necessary, but I prefer them. They do help stabilize you if you swing hard or play a hilly course. The good ones are also water resistant, which is nice for those early morning rounds when the grass is still wet. You can certainly start without them and get them later if you feel the need. If you do, do not buy the cheap ones. Stay at least in the mid range, they will be more comfortable and last longer. I recommend FootJoy or Adidas.

Feedback
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Where are you?

Send a message via AIM to grantis2911

Are these the 1.0 Burners or the model even before them?
Taylor Made Burner Irons by Taylor Made Golf - Golf Iron Sets
EDIT: Doesn't look like it'll matter, I clicked into their lefty section and the selection dropped to about 4 sets is all.

And yes I am taller, 6' 3", and have been fitted. They say I need an inch and 3* deloft I believe.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Last Place

I carry a full bag of taylormade clubs and love them. Pings are nice too, also check out Adams.

Gloves are cheap but disposable. Balls are disposable as well but try the Noodle ubtil you only loose 1=2 a round then you can step up to a better ball. I have been playing the Taylormade Burner Pro and really like them but I am hitting thrm further so all m distances are off....

Good luck golf is one of those games that you can have it all or parts or nothing eachtime you go out.
Bradys71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
We are... Penn State!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantis2911 View Post
I am just starting to really get into golf and my parents offered to get me some new irons. Any suggestions out there? I'm looking to stay in about the $400-$600 dollar range. Right now at the local golf store they have a lefty set of TaylorMade Burner 1.0 3-PW set for $400 that I'm leaning towards but just wondering if you know of any other nice set in that range (also looked at Callaway Diablo's). Also, just wanting to pick you brains on anything golf. Are shoes neccesary? What ball do you hit? Do you use a glove? Also, are there any Mcb-like forums focusing on golf?
Starting out, look at any decent cavity back. Titleist AP1 seemed to feel the best for me, but that is just me. Go to your local golf club or sporting goods store and try out a few different clubs. Don't jump to what looks nicest or has the best "name".

In my mind, shoes are very important. Spikes will keep you from sliding during your shot and will keep your feet dry when it is wet. How much do you plan on playing? Casual player or do you want to get into tournaments?

Balls - Personally, I play V1x's. As a general rule of thumb, if you see anything that says max distance, extra long, or anything along those lines, stay away from it. Max distance usually means extra hard. "soft" feeling balls will help you much more than an extra yard or two. If you find balls while you are playing, use them. You don't have to have the nicest or most expensive balls.

For a glove, I use a footjoy weathersof(sp?) glove. It is like 10.00 from my proshop and gets me through a month or two. Don't worry about these fancy gloves that you see that cost 30.00 or more, you just need something to keep your club from slipping.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Hey guys.... Since we're sorta on the subject....

If I were to buy just one wood for driving range fun, where do I find the best value, product-wise?

Last edited by alpha434; 06-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
We are... Penn State!

CCM Fan
5 wood. Titleist 904F is a great club and can be found for ~30.00-40.00 if you look around. I love mine.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

TheSandTrap.com

As close as I've found, but stopped searching a long time ago since golf is like paintball, minus the tinkering, in that you just have to get out and do it.

Anywho, go in and get measured and see if you are ok looking for an off the shelf set. Odds are you'll be fine, but I bet you could get some custom fit clubs made at Golfsmith as long as you don't need to be flashing Callaway or Ping around.

If you are going off the shelf, you can't really go wrong these days with iron sets. One thing to look at is if you need 'normal' clubs, or 'draw' clubs. Get a set with hybrids for the 3/4/5 irons, it's just easier that way.

I've hit Nikent 3Dx irons for the last few years because carbon is just dead sexy.

I shoot around 100, but don't really care. 4 hours of calmness outside is well worth the triple digit scorecards. It's about having fun and playing with fun people, just like PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Hey guys.... Since we're sorta on the subject....

If I were to buy just one wood for driving range fun, where do I find the best value, product-wise?
Ebay. Filter down to drivers and then sort by location. That's where I found mine. Anything 425-460cc's will be just fine.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
We are... Penn State!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
TheSandTrap.com

If you are going off the shelf, you can't really go wrong these days with iron sets.
Make sure they are cavity backs rather than forged clubs or "blades". Cavity backs are much easier to hit and for a beginner, it is by far the best.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat