mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #141 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
The Russian word for Hobbit is: Хоббит

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0l3Yr1B50
And now we know the real reason for the downfall of Soviet Russia - they wanted more epic fantasies from the West.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #142 (permalink)

I dunno. Nobody did epic movies quite like the Soviets.
After all, Bakshi would recycle footage from Aleksandr Nevsky when he made his own version of The Fellowship of the Ring.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #143 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
And now we know the real reason for the downfall of Soviet Russia - they wanted more epic fantasies from the West.
For the record, that is a teleplay, not a movie. And from what i hear, it seen a very regionally limited release.

But the fact is, in USSR, the fantasy genre, was very obscure, if simply didnt exist, instead it was folk tales and their reinterpretations. Unlike Sci-Fi.

The results were pretty epic tho'.

For example:
classic folk tale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooaKxdXbfM

An original folk tale interpretation, by Pushkin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoO2t536Ko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTDDGWDYGLc

Last edited by Flint; 12-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #144 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Quote:
Anyone else notice that the scenes where Bilbo finds the ring is different in LOTR and the Hobbit?
The scene in LOTR was Gollum finding the ring, not Bilbo.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ollection.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #145 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar156 View Post
The scene in LOTR was Gollum finding the ring, not Bilbo.
Bilbo is shown finding the ring during the intro to Fellowship. Gollum finds it in Return.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #146 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I saw The Hobbit, in HFR 3D and I liked it.

I did a lot of 24 vs 30FPS research as I went through the effort of making my first and second home theaters (Projector, HTPC, 7.1 sound system) 24 and 30FPS friendly. In my reseach, I came across a lot of discussions regarding 24 vs 30 FPS content. The only impression I had was that 30FPS content was nearly always made for TV and, that sci-fi content often looked cheaper but, I always attributed that to the quality of the sets, costuming, lighting, etc, given that they often have lower budgets. This may be why a lot of folks associate high frame rates with 'cheap'.

After a recent discussion with a coworker, I started to think about the 24FPS vs HFR 3D choice this way:

When you see a movie, do you feel it should be presented as a story or, do you wish to feel you are in it?

The way I see it, HFR 3D is simply too realistic to give one the feeling of a presentation. There were only two occasions where I saw something I probably would not have seen in a 24FPS format:
During the trek through the mountain pass (before, and during the stone giant fight), I could clearly see the rain drops hitting the rock wall, and in the foreground but, I never saw a raindrop hit a face.
During some of the outdoor, full daylight scenes, the texture of the screen could be seen in the sky (might've just been this theater but, I suspect that it's the result of our eyes receive more light at 48FPS than 24).
I've always been one for feeling immersed in the film. I hate noisy crowds (which is why I DIY'd my own theater), and other distractions. The 3D use in this film added to the immersion- there were no over the top tricks with it. so, in the end, this format did it for me.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonelse View Post
Always falling and never getting hurt...
My biggest gripe for some reason.
Dwarfs get +2 to their Con scores.

I saw it last weekend in 24 3d. I liked it. All the reviews said it was slow and almost cumbersome, yet I didn't think that was the case. It is building up for the next ones.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #148 (permalink)

AKA Fan
I stand corrected.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ollection.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #149 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post

I saw it last weekend in 24 3d. I liked it. All the reviews said it was slow and almost cumbersome, yet I didn't think that was the case. It is building up for the next ones.
I saw it in 2D last night. I thought the build up was slow but then the action really kicked in. Time went by reallyyyy quickly after they established all the characters.

Martin Freeman is perfect as Bilbo.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #150 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post

I think that is my biggest gripe about it. I liked it but it really did feel like it was missing "it". I think that the it may have to do with it as a stand alone movie. As part of a whole it was very good. On its own.... ehh just not "it"

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat