mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #81 (permalink)
MCB Member

I like to skate on the other side of the ice.

It's possible that the movies forced the creation of the third film because too many hours in a row of awesome could just kill people. It was 10 minutes after the trailer ended before I could feel my legs again. The automatic assumption that it's ONLY a moneygrab might be a little hipster.
This is a case where a guy took two really good stories and gave making 6 good movies out of them his best shot. If you're a fan of fantasy or scifi, IMO, you should want this guy to make billions on these movies even if you hate them and they suck. That's the only way other guys, who may be even better, will get to make good stories into movies.
Besides i'd rather have 3 3 hour movies than 2 4 1/2 hour movies.

You Tolkien fans(that aren't both) should chat with a Heinlein fan. What was perpetrated on 'Starship Troopers' the novel was a crime against humanity. Thousands or more will miss out on an author that can stand up there with Tolkien and Wells and not many others, because a guy apparently just plain not smart enough to understand a good story turned it into a stupid cartoonish joke of a movie. Ah well, I can always watch Destination Moon again...

The stuff that's being added are offstage parts of the original story detailed pretty well as has been said, so Jackson won't be making it up out of whole cloth. Hopefully after having been around the mythos so long, he won't blow it.
I'm happy as a dog biting hosewater!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #82 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post

The Hobbit is a prequel to Lord of the Rings...

I was being serious.... I just had been drinking a bit... and only watched a few seconds of the trailer...

Now that I am sober - and rewatched it - I see where I went wrong.

I should not have had that third margarita.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #83 (permalink)
Post Whore

I could go for one of those
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #84 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Mildly related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlRbrB_Gnc#!
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #85 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
OH man, I wish we could watch that in class.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #86 (permalink)
CHEERS!

New post-production video out!

New Post-Production Video for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey | Superhero Hype
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #87 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

I am still very much on the fence with this still - TWO movies from the one book I can see pretty well - that I think should give a bit of creative license while still being able to stay within the storyline as written......

THREE movies - yea - go marketting majors...... so the problem I have with this is as follows - the wait - bet you they stretch this into at least 2 years if not 3... I dont know if it will hold my joy enough to get the full impact but meh - my other issue is creative license - the Hobbit was a novel shorter than ANY of the Lord of the Rings trilogy novels - and they want 3 full length features from it? hmmmmm hope its not FLUFF filler - that would make me a sad panda.

Starship Troopers was a travesty - big time - it was campy entertainment the first time round but yes it could have been so much more - the only hope left for the genre now is Steakley's Armor being done well /sigh

Anyone heard anything lately about the Terry Brooks Shannara novels out on film?

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #88 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
Anyone heard anything lately about the Terry Brooks Shannara novels out on film?
What? Big fan of the Shannara series. Read most of them. I will have to research this movie possibility!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #89 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
Starship Troopers was a travesty - big time - it was campy entertainment the first time round but yes it could have been so much more -
I loved the Movie, and I loved the book. I think everyone missed that the movie was designed to be satirical, and not literal like the book. So it took a completely different approach. I'm able to seperate the two. The film does not have to be accurate to the book to be a good movie.

The Bourne movies are a good example. Good movies. Not related to the books at all. Now, the 3 Starship Trooper sequels are offensive. Just terrible, but a new Starship Trooper reboot is in preproduction now, focusing more on the book.

Thats my hope for the Hobbit- A good movie experience. Jackson has said there are lots of holes in the story that he needs to fill in. Places and events that are only mentioned, or assumed (like when characters disappear for a while), can be film using likely stories. Likewise, appendixes can be incorporated, and other "semi-canon" things, except for Silmarillon, which Jackson was not able to get the rights. But those things can be implied apon as well to bulk up the 3 movies.

Sure, I'll see them regardless, but I want them to be good. Remember Star Wars EP1-3?

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #90 (permalink)
Post Whore

I liked the starship troopers movie just fine and totally get the satire of it. The sequels I never bothered with I did see the cartoon a few times though. Yes the hobbit was shorter in the amount of text that was in that book. However the material that's covered is far larger and far more in depth. The three lotr books cover the journey to mount mordor the hobbit covers the journey to the sleeping mountain I think was called. And the journey back. Hence why the book that bilbo references being written during lotr is called "there and back again". Which you the audience are supposed to catch on that that was the book you would have just read which was the hobbit. And if you really think about all the mishaps and whatnot during the hobbit. You really do have enough material for at least 2 movies possibly 3. And like hp said some of that will have been assumed from silmarillon. And whatever the dwarves background book was
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat