mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Famous Last Words: Yeah, I can make that.

Woops, I said it again. Every once in a while that bug to make something from scratch bites a bit harder. And I am trying to make a coffee table/bench with only an old *** jigsaw, orbital sander, dremel and a hand drill.

Fiance fell in love with this .... Tandem Coffee Table in Accent Tables | Crate&Barrel

... and now I'm trying to make it.

To make maters worse, I decided on using a random pile of 1x2's.
Also, for like the 2 nerds that will care, I'm trying to stick to the Golden Ratio.

But I have a couple questions if anyone is feeling charitable:

-The "cross beams" running the width of the table front to back, that support the coffee table/bench, should they be steel or can they be aluminum? And of what size can I get away with? 1" wide of 2"?
(the shorter the width the more "extension" I can get out of the table length wise-again, I'm trying to stick to the ratio)
-Let's say I can get away with 1" wide metal cross bars, are 1"x1"x16"ish legs good enough? Or do I need to bump everything up to 2"?
-I don't have the money cause of the current disability I'm on, but I have the time; what's the best way for me to even out the surface height of the boards to be more even without buying too much more?

Last edited by dundadun; 09-10-2011 at 12:40 AM.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
You're in a pickle, my friend. You'll need a planer to get the boards to match thickness properly.

The cross supports could be steel or aluminum or even wood... But steel is actually the cheapest of the three, after you rule out the amount of work finish work wood will need.

Are you going to powdercoat the metal?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Probably just a rust proof coat and paint. Not planning on making them stand out really.

I was concerned about anything less then steel bending under someone's weight, but also having to hand drill a ton of holes in steel.

I figured I would need a planer, should I be going something like this?

Or something that attaches to the dremel?

oh and I'm not going for cutting board smooth even surface, just don't wan't to spill a drink cause of it.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
double post, but while I'm asking questions, how the heck do people make this surface in wood?

I doubt it's something I could do ever, but it's so pretty.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Original SWARM

Sand/bead blasting erodes the soft spots in the grain of the wood.

If I was going to make it I would skip the extention part
I would go with the 2" square steel tubing,weld or braze the steel tubing together to form the top frame.
you could make the legs from the steel tubing too or use round screw in hardwood legs from the hardware store.

A flooring sander on the top when the wood is secured.

Last edited by Smiley; 09-10-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
so it's like making the grain pop, but media blasting instead of stain/dyes? Nice.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
well shoot, if I can make this look anywhere near decent, I may look for a local powder coating and media blasting place.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
I figured I would need a planer, should I be going something like this?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9033568...2173_598149570

Or something that attaches to the dremel?
Yipes! That hand planer would work, but that's a lot of effort. Like washing your driveway with a toothbrush. Dremel would be the same, but like washing with an electric toothbrush. If it were me, I'd run them all through my table saw to get them the same.

With the tools you have mentioned, I would clamp all the 1x2 together, slap 60 or 80 grit paper on the orbital, wear a mask and sand for a few days. But looking at what you are making, I think it might be best to leave them and assemble the table so that the top is even and have the irregularities underneath. You can use your jigsaw to notch the thicker pieces where the cross braces attach.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I'm considering combining the dremel bit with a bunch of 60 grit on the orbital.
It wouldn't be the first time I spent days doing something really monotonous(like turning plexi into a pegboard).

But I will think about the notching, not sure I can pull it off with all the sliding bars. Maybe I could make sure the taller ones are on the edges and use washers to raise the lower middle ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
A flooring sander on the top when the wood is secured.
huh, shouldn't be too much effort to rent one...

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat