mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Property taxes are kind of weird. I had worked on plans for a plot of land that a family friend is willing to let go for below market value. (Three cheers for well off old people who hate their kids!)

I had drawn up initial plans for how to develop it. 90% of the materials were going to be locally/regionally harvested wood and stone, most of the labour would have been by myself and other family members, and at the end of the ten year plan I would have a beautiful property, possibly one of the highest value pieces of private residential land on the island.

Then a friend calculated the range of taxes I would apparently pay on it, based on her high and low estimates of what it would likely be worth in that time frame.

The lowest was just shy of my current entry level take-home.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I'm sorry. Government assistance is supposed to be a "last ditch" safety net designed to allow you to live and survive. Luxuries, like a million dollar water front house, are supposed to be given up before that safety net needs to be used.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Eh people find loopholes every day, the nice people that actually try to survive on their own with no help are the ones that suffer, the ones who dont care about morals and rather screw everyone else to get a penny are the ones that survive comfy. Why would i go out and get a minimum wage job when i can make about 13 bucks an hour worth on government aid.

Now my opinion is kinda stuck both ways, if you do nothing, they got away free, but if you make them pay the money back, then you're just making them pay money back to the greedy government that will just put it back in their pocket

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat