mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtt
Reading is your friend.
Curses, I lose.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know if you'll be able to find a copy of the book Warpath and Bivoauc, but I'd be willing to share mine with you. It was written during the yellowstone expedition by Joseph Finerty, a reporter for the Chicago times, who later ended up being Mayor of Chicago. One thing I found interesting was that all soldiers out there(Custer and Crooks included) knew that if the 2 partys of indians that were in the area combined they could overwhelm all three columns of cavalry and not just one. a great quote from General Crooks(referring to the chief of staff of the army) was " I wish he'd come out here and show us poor soldiers how to surround seven indians with one trooper!"

For old timey war stories you can't beat Rudyard Kipling, you can find alot of his India stories on http://www.gutenberg.org along with most all out of copyright works.

Quote:
"What are the bugles blowin' for?" said Files-on-Parade.
"To turn you out, to turn you out", the Colour-Sergeant said.
"What makes you look so white, so white?" said Files-on-Parade.
"I'm dreadin' what I've got to watch", the Colour-Sergeant said.
For they're hangin' Danny Deever, you can hear the Dead March play,
The regiment's in 'ollow square -- they're hangin' him to-day;
They've taken of his buttons off an' cut his stripes away,
An' they're hangin' Danny Deever in the mornin'.
Rob
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Sophies world...very good

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

1776 by David McCullough. It's a great and quick read.

For a more detailed Revolutionary War book I recommend highly Angel in the Whirlwind by Benson Bobrick. Outstanding book.

For espionage, Spycatcher by Peter Wright. It's about the KGB infiltration of MI5 during the cold war.

A book that will last all summer, The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy. He's a Yale history professor. Brilliant guy. Great book!!

When you head back to WW2 read Operation Jedburgh by Colin Beavan. More evidence that the French are a continual enigma!

Beside the library, you can get any of these in hardcover from Amazon's used book sellers for a few bucks a pop (except for the last one which is a new release).

Matt
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I recently finished reading Confessions of A Yakuza by Junichi Saga. It's an intersting insight into the world of the Yakuza post-WWII. It's told by a former yakuza member who is dieing of cancer through a series of recollections told to his doctor. The doctor decided to record these stories and later had them published in book form.

I'm currently reading Ballad of the Whiskey Robber. The front cover describes it as "A true story of bank heists, ice hockey, Transylvanian pelt smuggling, moonlighting detectives, and broken hearts." I'm about halfway through it and it is a very good read so far. It takes place in Hungary after the fall of communism. The main character is an unpaid "pro" hockey goalie that takes up bank robbing and has a penchant for getting sloshed on Johnnie Walker before the heists. It also features a detective so incompetent that he is only known by his nickname: Mound of Asshead.

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

thanks for the suggestions everyone. All that's left to do is go to the bookstore, quit my job, smash my tv and kick up my feet and read for a year straight!
Jdonlin is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat