mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #91 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-Swipe View Post
I love the early 90s renegades with the fiberglass fender flares. I saw a silver one and was smitten. I think they look so clean.
Yeah... Except they're polyurethane fender flares instead, which crack. I'll be on my third repair to the front fenders this year... That said, it's a valuable jeep, and if you can get one for cheap, do so. I watched a couple of them go for 9-15k on ebay, in poor to good condition.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #92 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Yeah... Except they're polyurethane fender flares instead, which crack. I'll be on my third repair to the front fenders this year... That said, it's a valuable jeep, and if you can get one for cheap, do so. I watched a couple of them go for 9-15k on ebay, in poor to good condition.
Sorry got confused. I knew they werent metal. So how does on repair them?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #93 (permalink)
Splash mag hunter

Kilt Fan
I drive Volvo V40 T4, Chevrolet transport and my "fun" car Datsun 260z.

Automags.org Feedback

EBAY Feedback

Precious
swe_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #94 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_crazy View Post
I drive ... my "fun" car Datsun 260z.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...SAM_0193-1.jpg
Interesting - you seem to be using a can of Red Bull for an ignition coil. How's that working out?
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
John Satclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #95 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
While I can't say I'm a fan of the YJ Renegade, they certainly are...unique. (Now, the Renegade package on the Liberty KJ, THAT'S not a bad trim package), I believe Quadratec carries replica fiberglass ones. I'd need to check their print catalogue (Has a whole restoration section that the website doesn't), they're a bit tougher but probably not exactly cheap.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #96 (permalink)
Splash mag hunter

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Satclaire View Post
Interesting - you seem to be using a can of Red Bull for an ignition coil. How's that working out?

Red Bull Gives You Wings

Automags.org Feedback

EBAY Feedback

Precious
swe_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #97 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-Swipe View Post
Sorry got confused. I knew they werent metal. So how does on repair them?
Lol! No confusion... They're plastic either way... Doesn't matter. I really wouldn't care at all, but I wish they were f/g instead.

The problem with the cast urethane is that it weathers kinda poorly. So everywhere there's a flange to hold the bumper cover on, it cracks. Or the high-stress spot right in front of the fender mounted turn signals repeatedly generate little cracks.

To repair it, I grind out the crack and then fill it with a 3m brand plastic urethane repair paste. Then file and sand it into shape after hardening. The repair is an almost-exact match to the characteristics of the urethane... Which means it will crack again in a few years.

Most jeep "enthusiasts" don't like the way the YJ Renegades look. They've been called the ugliest jeeps ever made. (Note Maruader Pilot's comment. )

I don't know/care. The collectable value of the Renegade is 3-6 times the other YJs. And if you look at my other vehicles, almost all of them were called "The ugliest" by some authority on the matter. I would much rather have a Jeep with a beachcomber body kit, than the same sheep-jeeps with flat fenders and lift kits that other jeople drive.

PS... My jeep has custom bench seats. Lololololol.

Last edited by alpha434; 02-13-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #98 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The objection is less about the looks and more about the damage potential-Jeep fender flares were always designed to be totally minimal and easy and cheap to replace, because they're the parts that always get rubbed on a tree or rock in a tight corner or a lateral slide and get broken off or scraped.

That, and the fact that they seem to have made it into the ultimate tailgater vehicle by adding a porch large enough for 5 friends and a BBQ where the front bumper was.

With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #99 (permalink)
BACK TO WORK !!!

Brass N Wood Fan
these are all stock photos - real ones are on the main computer which is packed for the move- same model's and colors though ..LOL

the toy:

the car:

wifes car:

her toy :

** i maintain 3rd shift hours so if i dont respond right away during the day - ya know why

my feedback :

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=488994

Last edited by randall ace; 02-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.
randall ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
The objection is less about the looks and more about the damage potential-Jeep fender flares were always designed to be totally minimal and easy and cheap to replace, because they're the parts that always get rubbed on a tree or rock in a tight corner or a lateral slide and get broken off or scraped.

That, and the fact that they seem to have made it into the ultimate tailgater vehicle by adding a porch large enough for 5 friends and a BBQ where the front bumper was.
I hope the first part of your comment is a joke... Do you know what percentage of Jeep owners rock crawl their jeep? It's rare to even see jeep owners, who are INTO offroading, rock crawling.

Now let's follow the percentages... If only 5% of jeeps get rock crawled, then why do 99% of jeep owners need to drive pseudo-military vehicles?

To be fair, the Renegade fenders were designed to be cheap and easy to replace (why cast urethane). Chrysler didn't count on Jeep owners to be so close minded, and expected these puppies to sell like hot cakes. They didn't. So now I can't buy replacement fenders for it... Same story with that VW Thing, actually. More capable off road vehicle than most Jeeps, too... Will ford a river.

The bumper seats two, comfortably. Perfect for having a beer in the parking lot at the shop.

Last edited by alpha434; 02-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat