mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #161 (permalink)
camocow200

By woouulf at 2011-08-05

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (920) 100% positive
MCB 275 +
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #162 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
man, that revoknuckle is cool. if it fits the eurofocus, wonder if i can get it put into my MS3

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #163 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
i wouldnt go so far as to say that you are alone in the Suby love

i drive a 2009 wrx hatchback daily. my other car wont be drivable for a while, 1985 subaru brat, soon to have a built up 2002 wrx engine and drivetrain.
Win!

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #164 (permalink)
The Free Man

1999 Jeep Cherokee. 120k miles. I expect another 100k off it.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #165 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
You might be able to mask it by changing the steering axis. But it is caused by having 1 wheel spin faster or apply more torque than the other wheel. This is normally caused by having axles of different length and the same diameter, because the axle will deflect torsionally and the longer one will deflect more, meaning that right when you hit the gas the wheel on the longer axle doesn't spin as much as the shorter axle and torque steer.
You have that opposite, equal length half-shafts and LSD, mask the torque steer. If it was only caused by having one wheel spin faster than the other, then you would have the same issue with RWD cars. The fact is that when the drive wheel spins, in wants to twist the wheel around the steering axis unless the wheel is exactly centered over the steering axis. This twist force counteracted by the wheel on the other side, which wants to twist the other way. You get torque steer when one side has a great twist force than the other. Equal length shafts, limited slip diffs, and stickier tires attempt to correct this by keeping the torque the same on both sides, but when you lose traction due to road surfaces, or reach the limit of the diff or tires, it will still come about. By changing the suspension geometry so that the steering axis is directly centered over the force vector of the tires, you can eliminate torque steer even if one tire spins more than the other. You can see this by drawing a force diagram of a car.

The problem is that with current tech, you can't have the perfect alignment of steering axis to the torque force all the time, suspension compression and tire deflection change cause it to constantly move. Additionally, when the suspension geometry is designed for maximum alignment of axis to torque force. Other handling characteristics suffer. You also have costs to consider and the Macpherson strut is one of the cheapest, unfortunately it also has a sharply canted steering axis, meaning that as the tire deflects the degree of the torque force is constantly changing. The revo-knuckle and the hiper strut attempt to fix this by moving the steering axis away from the strut axis.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #166 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Hm, I just figured you didnt get it in rwd because you dont see many rwd setups with the diff not centered. You certainly can get it in rwd if one tire is bigger than the other, it works wonders for the circle track guys.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #167 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, you stated that if you did a burnout in a toronado, you would veer off into another lane, which should also apply to RWD cars. Though that's not to say that not having equal power to both sides of the car won't cause the car to pull left or right. It about using the engine to turn the steering wheel.

I think the Elise/Exige has an uncentered diff. It has a transverse mid-engine layout. I haven't heard any complaints of torque steer out of that car.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #168 (permalink)
You know the music...

Das Auto:

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #169 (permalink)
No class

I kind of have a thing for cars, kind of like paintball markers...
My Merkurs RWD turbo fun

99' V70R AWD turbo Family wagon

Suzuki Swift FWD turbo beater

My Ranger 4.0 V6

My 4.0 I6 Jeep

I just realized I don't have any pictures of my Land Rover.
I'm considering dropping this in the Volvo
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #170 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Well, you stated that if you did a burnout in a toronado, you would veer off into another lane, which should also apply to RWD cars. Though that's not to say that not having equal power to both sides of the car won't cause the car to pull left or right. It about using the engine to turn the steering wheel.

I think the Elise/Exige has an uncentered diff. It has a transverse mid-engine layout. I haven't heard any complaints of torque steer out of that car.
I have no idea why the toronado did that. It wasnt torque steer, you would literally just move perfectly sideways. You could be in 1 parking spot and move exactly 2 to the right doing a burnout, or at least my dad claims to have done that in my grandmothers toronado.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat