mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Investing Thread

Moving the conversation to this thread. Talking about investing in the stock market.

I'd first like to ask if anyone uses etrade or scottrade and how they like the mobile app and the tools offered for research. I'm opening an account with one of them next week.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
the only stock I own is Church&Dwight
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Meh the stock market is unpredictable.... look into government tax leans.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
Meh the stock market is unpredictable.... look into government tax leans.
I think the stock market can be predictable. Research is involved; taking time to analyze companies 10k's 10q's a few years back and noticing trends in society and what types of products the company you're investing in is putting out on the market. Right now tech companies are pretty predictable to me because Im tech savvy.

I was hoping this topic would pick up a little more, perhaps it's too personal or the wrong group of people... Was hoping it would be a fun learning/sharing process much like the photo threads and fitness.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Apple is looking good still, picked some up. Mostly picking up metals when I can get them for a discount.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
I have a close eye on HP. The new CEO is going to follow Steve Jobs' foot steps, shes already accepting a $1 salary like he did at apple and she has made references about him publicly. Already in the first few months that she's been leading them they've released a 'MacBook air' wanna be. Now she's combining the printer/pc divisions to consolidate for more control. HP originally began with servers for private enterprise so they are already well aware of how cloud storage works, I'm predicting that will be their next thing an unlike apple, HP will probably have a **** load of it for sale for android & windows phones/pc's, apple only sells theirs for apple devices and apple still doesn't have the majority of market share with their products. I've been paying attention to the chip makers as well and plan to jump on who ever they choose to go with - amd, intel, nvidia, will they choose windows 8 or android for tablet OS? May want to get on Microsoft as well for a year. HP is undervalued now sense the former CEO said they were getting out of the pc business. Since meg Whitman has been in charge and released the new HP folio and making sweeping decisions stockholder confidence is on the rise and HP stock shows it. If I could afford more than I could buy at the moment I'd get some shares but it wouldn't be a good return, which is why I'm checking out the little guys- chip makers. I have a feeling this time next year hp's stock will be around $37.00. This is a personal test I'm giving myself to see if I have a talent at predicting these things. So I'm just going to watch it closely this year.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Individual stocks are unpredictable.

The markets as a whole are very predictable.

Don't try to time the market. You will NOT outsmart everyone else who has tried, failed, and lost money.

You want long term returns and some sense of security?
Buy index mutual funds or index ETFs with low MERs.
+1

I've been in the market for ten years with a Roth IRA through Fidelity. Most of my money is in a mutual fund (the "Vanguard Mid-cap Growth Investor," if you must know), but I've also kept a few grand out of that to play around with stocks and try to ride the waves.

In ten years, the money I have in the mutual fun has more than doubled, even though it struggled through those recession years. The money I invested myself in stocks? Nope. I'm ahead... but only by about 20%.

Also, it's worth mentioning to not put all your eggs in one basket, of course. Don't put your ENTIRE life savings in one place. It may be easier to track that way, but if something goes terribly wrong, at least you don't lose everything.

My AO Feedback

Want to cover you stainless steel lines with something nice? I've got heat shrink tubing.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Which paintball companies are publicly traded?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
.....Don't stock pick or try to time the market.....

It's so easy to time the market.
Maybe you Canadians just don't know how to do it -

For instance - the NYSE is 9:00AM - 4:30PM
When the little hand is on the 9 and the big hand is on the 12 it opens and then when the little hand is on the 4 and the big hand is on the 6 it closes. See, it's easy to time the market.....

Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat