mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
It's really easy to beat an atlas. It's called "A gps is faster." And also sometimes known as "A gps has more updated maps."
Have you ever followed a gps in a city that you have never been in before? Sure 90% of the time it's fast and accurate, but if you make a mistake and miss a turn, or the gps unit flips out for a moment, you can easily get lost waiting for electronic help.

Using a map to familiarize yourself with a route is far more reliable than anything electronic. Sure you can memorize a map with bad information, but short of that you are likely only to find new roads that weren't on the map you had.

You can rely upon your gps, but every airplane in the skies above you, and most any boat bigger than 20 feet, as well as most transport trucks and cabbies, there will be maps (usually bundled into a neat package called an atlas). Just in case...
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Os View Post
Have you ever followed a gps in a city that you have never been in before? Sure 90% of the time it's fast and accurate, but if you make a mistake and miss a turn, or the gps unit flips out for a moment, you can easily get lost waiting for electronic help.

Using a map to familiarize yourself with a route is far more reliable than anything electronic. Sure you can memorize a map with bad information, but short of that you are likely only to find new roads that weren't on the map you had.

You can rely upon your gps, but every airplane in the skies above you, and most any boat bigger than 20 feet, as well as most transport trucks and cabbies, there will be maps (usually bundled into a neat package called an atlas). Just in case...
Sure. If you're bad at using a gps, you can get lost... It's exactly the same as using an atlas... Or any other tool in the history of mankind.

Yeah. That "Just in case" is just in case their superior gps unit(s) fail.

If you plan on familiarizing yourself with a route or a layout, there's another far superior digital option... It's called "Google Maps". Since this is an online conversation, I assume that everyone here has access to it.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

People disagreeing in the Internet - Run, Timmy, Run for the gold!

I've been considering once since I used it in Europe where it rocked. I could do an atlas and my Polish was bad but the GPS allowed me to get an overview.
Feedback
BoBo is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat