mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurtle View Post
Fly fishing and having a sieszar (that probably isn't spelled right) look about the same for me. I do enjoy the fishing though.
Tenkara is NOT dapping - YouTube
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

I've been trying to learn how to fly fish. My dad has been teaching me when he gets the chance. I do plenty of fishing with a spinning reel, great fun. I've caught some pretty nice fish on tiny little rods backpacking.
pb=life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Living near the ocean I used to go party boat fishing a couple times a summer. I haven't really gone fishing in a long time though. I used to love sitting on a dock or by a lakeside with a pole and a six pack. I think a time or two I didn't even bring bait.

ANyway, i had never heard of this tankara before this thread. It looks pretty interesting. It reminds me of what we used to do as kids; just tie a string to the end of a stick. Looks like fun!
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Looking at this Tenkara fishing, when I grew up we called that cane pole fishing. It was cheap and if you broke your rod you cut another piece of bamboo and made another one.

I used to do that in the mountain streams of Colorado just to tick off my ex father-in-law (does that make him a father-out-law now?) He would show up with his $500 reels and $600 rods with a $100 line on it and get out fished by guy with a piece of bamboo and a really long leader.
Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Looking at this Tenkara fishing, when I grew up we called that cane pole fishing. It was cheap and if you broke your rod you cut another piece of bamboo and made another one.

I used to do that in the mountain streams of Colorado just to tick off my ex father-in-law (does that make him a father-out-law now?) He would show up with his $500 reels and $600 rods with a $100 line on it and get out fished by guy with a piece of bamboo and a really long leader.
The thing I like about tenkara:

Light
Collapsible (but very strong)
Is made to load the light line. (usually a furled leader or a piece of fluorocarbon) Very easy to make precise fly casts.
Cool history
Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
So this thread got me thinking,about getting back into fly fishing. Then the other night I was at the local Gander Mountain when I wonder over to the fly fishing area. I notice a Pflueger 8ft 5'6 weight complete outfit, only $50 bucks. So I figure why not, it's a name I trust and the whole kit if there plus it's regularly $80 for this kit but it's reduced since we're already three weeks into trout season. I am now officially back into fly fishing.
Best time to take a dump is when on the phone with tech/ customer service.Also when they say something like "This call may be recorded. . . " I always tell them I hope so and proceed to enjoy my bowel movement.

My feedback

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
PATCHEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan

Anyone ever try these?

Supposed to be good for 30lbs.
Best time to take a dump is when on the phone with tech/ customer service.Also when they say something like "This call may be recorded. . . " I always tell them I hope so and proceed to enjoy my bowel movement.

My feedback

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
PATCHEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Hey MCB flyfishermen. As I posted before, my father has got back into making custom bamboo flyrods. He has been fishing for 30 years and now that work has slowed down he has picked up making flyrods again.

If anyone would be interested in a custom bamboo rod, he has been looking for some people to test out his rods and get their opinion on them. He said if anyone wants a custom rod for cheap, he is looking for testers. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can pass on the info.

He can also make bamboo spinning rods if that is of any more interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
Hey MCB flyfishermen. As I posted before, my father has got back into making custom bamboo flyrods. He has been fishing for 30 years and now that work has slowed down he has picked up making flyrods again.

If anyone would be interested in a custom bamboo rod, he has been looking for some people to test out his rods and get their opinion on them. He said if anyone wants a custom rod for cheap, he is looking for testers. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can pass on the info.

He can also make bamboo spinning rods if that is of any more interest.
I'd be interested depending on price, Fly rod weight, length etc.

Let me know what kind of rod he has in mind.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHEZ View Post
snip
They are okay. I find that a loop to loop connection is a source of lost power transfer. Especially with long leaders. A good nail knot is a much better connection. IMO

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat