mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bob
Rec Poster

Military people

So I just got out of the Navy thru their downsizing tool (PTS). I was in for ten years as an Aviation electricians mate. For the people that have been out what is the hardest thing about being out? What do you miss about being in? And what was not that big to get use to?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I just got cross-rated to a CT from CS because of PTS.

Sorry to hear you were one of the ones who got shafted!
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
After serving on a sub the hardest thing for me was working with people who just had no pride in their work. We had a great crew on the boat, first job was an eye opener. Had several coworkers who just did not care as long as they got paid. Now there are good places to work and bad boat crews I am sure but my first change was a big one.

We are lucky to still be talking about paintball.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
i did 6 in the marine corps. 5 times in the middle east (1 to afghan 4 to iraq). i miss every single second of it and being out has put me in a very dark time in my life. i struggle every day.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Palmers Fan
Semper Fi brother, I know your darkness. I spent 6 in and did time in the gulf and the Mog. I had severe issues at first. A failed marriage and some mental help later I leveled out. If there is anything I can do for you pm me and maybe we can get in contact. Stay strong brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
i did 6 in the marine corps. 5 times in the middle east (1 to afghan 4 to iraq). i miss every single second of it and being out has put me in a very dark time in my life. i struggle every day.
diesel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
thanks for all the pms and support guys didnt expect that. was just trying to support op so he can see its normal to hurt when you get out.

to the above post, my court date for the final divorce is next thursday =)...... =(

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
thanks for all the pms ...
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
she is on my list. sick i know....

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Adjustment took a while. Did 10 years total. You never fully put it away, you just put parts of it aside to draw from later on. On one hand, I still had the residual burnt out/sick of Army sh*t/glad to be out mentality....and on the other, I yearned for it like some lovesick teenage girl. I'd send emails back and forth to all my old buddies, want to be in the know about the latest training exercises, and relive old tales with them. I couldn't get rid of any of my gear for at least the first 3 years or so. I did the typical jump into the private sector job/grow a beard routine like so many guys do, and had similar experiences to what Flounder described. I felt no camaraderie, no sense of purpose, pride or satisfaction in what I was doing. Like many prior service folk do, I ended up going into civil service, in a law enforcement career. While not a complete replacement or duplicate, I viewed it as sharing many similar characteristics. Since then, I've met many guys (and gals) that served, that now serve as cops, firefighters, EMT's, dispatchers, nurses, teachers, or in numerous other support capacities at the local/state/federal level...including many right back on military posts in a civilian capacity.

Some advice I can offer is look into everything the VA might have to offer. Get to know your area rep. Sometimes they may have some good info on things you might be eligible for (schooling, training, etc.) or scuttlebutt on who may be hiring local. I'll always be grateful to the gal at my local office for helping me sort through the GI Bill process.

Realize that we as humans are naturally resistant to change, so there is a sort of "grieving" process that goes on. You're pulled away from guys you were tight with, often that were damn-near family, and it may be years before you see them again, if ever. That was the part I hated most.

And Dom, we've still got your 6...whether we fit in our uniforms any more or not. Hang in there, brother.

My MCB feedback

Last edited by LUKE; 04-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Luke,

I got out 5 years ago and got a civ job. I was laid off last year and am contemplating where to go with my life. I am putting together resumes and the like for fire fighting and police, although I also have a re enlistment package in with my old branch.

How was the adjustment to law enforcement? Can you get into a little more detail on the similarities and differences to military life?

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat