mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I want a street that salts itself in the winter. That would be impressive.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_target View Post
would expand on why you think this?

I can see this actually saving money because you don't have to pay those silly street sweeper trucks which don't do a very good job anyways, and from the spray it appears to be a relatively efficient system with respect to water

Im seeing it as a monetary waste because its unsaid whether they are only going to utilize this in consolidated areas, or if they are going to try and retrofit all the roads with it. If they try and retrofit it, they would need lots of workers, and time. They would have to tear up the roads, and redo water lines to be able to make it work. I just see a huge gap before this project becomes profitable to the Koreans. It is also unsaid whether the water is constantly dispensed or whether it is on a time based system. Not to mention, that seems like a ton of run off to be put back into the environment. What if there is some sort of detergent or cleaning agent in the water from the spigots in the road? Thats more pollutants to the environment. I just dont like the idea.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
I want a street that salts itself in the winter. That would be impressive.
I've heard of this somewhere... I think it was Vancouver.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
I've heard of this somewhere... I think it was Vancouver.
That settles it, Im moving to Canada.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

You know a homeless person would be hit by a car trying bath themselves in the street rolling around in the water.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:

I can see this actually saving money because you don't have to pay those silly street sweeper trucks which don't do a very good job anyways, and from the spray it appears to be a relatively efficient system with respect to water
Outside of what Seymour said, I'd have to agree it would be a waste. They look like about 10 feet apart correct? So for 1 mile of road, you'd need 528 of these. Let's say each only sprays 1 gallon of water per wash and they only run once a week. That's still 27,456 gallons of water per year for 1 mile of road. If they ran daily it would be like 193,000 gallons of water.

I guess it depends where the water is coming from and how it's processed after the fact. If it's rain water, that would be better. Still, if it rains enough to be able to collect the water, why not just let the rain do it's job and wash the road. Seems to work pretty well here.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:

It depends on what you are trying to clean. If it's oil and dirt, then it would do a better job. But for cigarette butts and trash, not going to be better than a sweeper. At least with the sweeper, the collected waste is sent to the dump. With this, the waste water would need to be filtered, then treated to eliminate the chemicals leeched/released by the trash. I'm pretty sure they aren't doing that. Maybe the filtering, but not the treating, that cost would be huge.

Enviromentally, it would be the same as not cleaning anything and letting the rain wash it all away.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

Missed a spot.
I can see it now, a mini van full of priests going 80mph through a suburb blasting metallica....

Feedback 2012 Sale WTB Thread
HOEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

I'm definitely not seeing the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
MobScene

Salt is bad in the winter, eats away at you car. We got these in Edmonton now

http://youtu.be/ft7_jo8yYZ8

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat