mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to wolf13 Send a message via Yahoo to wolf13

actually, 6th will be out this year. I am just starting to get back into it after around 8 years off myself. Actually assembling eldar dire avengers right now, a unit i never used back in 3rd but now the thing in 5th.

Heres things to consider:

6th edition will be out this summer, there may be some major changes, especially in vehicles as transports.

Chaos will probably be the next Dex out, with Chaos and Dark Angels marines the leading contender for the box set.

Tau, Dark Angels and Eldar are probably the next three dexs after chaos. Eldar and Tau are both 4th edition dexs and considered well out of date and out of the power curve. Any armies you build for these be aware that in the next 6-18 months might change significantly with a new edition and dexs.

Some armies are easier to win with then others, some are easier to play with then others and some are easier to learn than others. If you can, try a couple of armies before you buy so you can get a feel for the style of play you want. Nids can be a tough army to learn with, but still a favorite of mine.

disclaimer: I abhor marines, I loathe them with unrelenting hatred and will not use them. That said, the game and GW is intensely biased towards marines. They are also the only army you can build and paint up and be able to use as no less then 5 codexs (codex ultramarines, wolves, blood angels, dark angels, templar) plus with a few magnetic mounts and a couple of extra units you can probably pull off something from the chaos dex. With marines, you are never far from a new release of some sort, with xenos (nids, Orcs, Eldar, Tau Dark Eldar), you may be lucky to see your dex get an update once a decade or so.

GW has gotten a lot better about having the options you need in the box sets, but you may need to do some kitbashing to get exactly what you want. Check out forgeworld, its more expensive but they put out quality stuff GW doesn't put out (forgeworld is owned by GW).

Be wary of finecast, if you can, check it out in the store or buy used. they have some pretty major issues with the new process right now it seems.

Nids are one of my favorites, but I am not up on the current builds. I suggest DakkaDakka as a good forum to browse for army lists and tactics. Its a rough place, but you will learn a lot.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Im going to hash together a small IG setup again soon. I used to have the Ghosts figures but they are long lost now.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Shoots First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Agreed. Back in 2nd ed the Guard were holy terrors to play against. Then 3rd ed came along and cut the balls off the game. Seriously, only 3 shots with an assault cannon? And assault cannon SHOULD be able to wipe out a whole squad. Its a mini gun for petes sake. And since when can a a tank NOT move and fire more than one gun? Seriously?
I was talking about 5th edition.

9x Valkyrie Gunships each with 3x Lascannons and 2x Heavy Bolters
Command Squad w/ Flamers
2x Special Weapons Squad w/ Flamers
6x Vet Squads w/ Melta Guns

Gunships are in 3 squads of 3. Each squad carries 1 Command or Spec Weapons Squad and 2 Vet Squads. Everything starts out in Reserves and since every model is connected to every other through squad rules if any one model passes a Reserve check then the whole army comes in. So every game you start in Reserves, then on your second turn your whole army appears and unloads 27 Lascannons into the opponent's. Every turn after that is just mopping up.

Bleh...

redthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthirst View Post
I was talking about 5th edition.

9x Valkyrie Gunships each with 3x Lascannons and 2x Heavy Bolters
Command Squad w/ Flamers
2x Special Weapons Squad w/ Flamers
6x Vet Squads w/ Melta Guns

Gunships are in 3 squads of 3. Each squad carries 1 Command or Spec Weapons Squad and 2 Vet Squads. Everything starts out in Reserves and since every model is connected to every other through squad rules if any one model passes a Reserve check then the whole army comes in. So every game you start in Reserves, then on your second turn your whole army appears and unloads 27 Lascannons into the opponent's. Every turn after that is just mopping up.

Bleh...
Well sure, if its a mechanized IG army. I had a Chimera pair and a Hellhound primarily for vehicle defense.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Shoots First

I mean, the army also has 18 Heavy Bolters, like 12 Flamers, and countless Lasguns against Horde armies... and it still gets 1st Strike every game. It's very resilient.

redthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Tau, Dark Angels and Eldar are probably the next three dexs after chaos. Eldar and Tau are both 4th edition dexs and considered well out of date and out of the power curve.
YES!!! ELDAR NEED SOME LOVIN!!! Badly I might add...

Rangers for 19 points?!? What The MESS!?!?!
Dark reapers need to drop down...
Shining spears need to be dropped ( completley, personally... )
Warp spiders cost needs to drop ( because all they have is death spiners, no grenades, no nothing extra, just spiners... all they can do is die in the warp and get the mess assaulted out of them... Nice strength weapons, but misserably downfalled with no ap. Personally, if they were re made, id make them close combat supperior.)
Swooping hawks need half decent guns...
Hmmm... maybe some personallized stat lines...
Wraithguard need to be dropped 5 points at least...
Vypers need a little more Mess added to them to make them point worthy...
war walkers need a little love...
wraithlords need some built in wraithsight piece for like an extra 10 points...
HQ choices COST are ok... *criquet, criquet*

Yeah... im sure theres more.

I still enjoyed playing them!

Last edited by ogti9g9; 04-29-2012 at 01:02 AM.
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to wolf13 Send a message via Yahoo to wolf13

yeah, I totally skipped 4th edition and am just now getting back in so I guess I can say I skipped almost all of two editions, and it looks like it was a poor codex when it was new. I like the new units they added, but they took away all the different flavors and forced it into a narrow build range. The new assault rules, transport rules, sniper rules and prevalence of certain armies and weapons types further shoehorned it in. I love my eldar, but I can't say I've really been excited by them coming back. I was devastated when i found out the scatter laser is the only weapon of choice for most people and dragons are the only elite slot as a single shot tank bomb.

I can't disagree with most of your statements one bit. Really, the biggest problem I have though is eldar lost their defining attributes. Everyone has speed in various forms now, eldar actually look slow compared to a lot of armies getting main units into play. For various reasons, the aspects either never were good units in the new dex or have become much worse under the new rules. Also, don't get me started on harlequins, was so excited they finally had offical rules, then I read them.

I have never been a warwalker fan for the old models (new ones I actually rather like) and preferring a mobile tank army, but the wasp walkers from forgeworld will find a place in some of my builds. Actually, forgeworld almost single handedly tipped the scale to start back up (a friend has been trying to get me to restart and I was on the edge). Wasps just scream eldar. Same with the hornet and as a skimmer head who had kitbashed up a cobra and nightspinner when VDR came out I was ecstatic the cobra is now officially a model. The wraith seer has me really wanting to do an Iyandon list, but all things considered Iyandon is a beyond horrible list now.

Actually, the forgeworld corsairs list is the list I am most excited about right now. Not sure how really competitive it will be, but it just looks like a lot of fun. very mobile, a finesse army.

its funny, but the I guess its almost fair to say my excitement in returning to 40k is despite the core rules. its because of things like forgeworld and apocalypse. I don't really know all the fine details with apocalypse, but I always liked big points games. I still have my new in the box armorcast phantom titan I always wanted a reason to build and I jumped on the brand new Scorpion MKII when it came out just because it is a glorious lovely model. I love the idea of formations, I actually have enough points that I started reorganizing my collection into the formations, to see what I would need to technically fill it out and to prioritize my painting beyond the core units i need.

Last edited by wolf13; 04-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
wolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Conker

Thanks everyone for tips. Selling some stuff to fund this. Paintball gear will be selling soon. Hope it can fund it enough to get a start. Sniper, phantom, 3357, ions, hope to get picks up soon so I can start that thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat