mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

How Internet BST has changed

Like many of you, I have been buying, selling, and trading stuff online since the internet became widely available... the days of AOL. Man how it has changed!

All payments were made as cash, check, or money order. There was no paypal, or really any reporcussions (other than feedback) for not sending someone's goods after payment. This was how all internet transactions worked, even Ebay and earlier, Yahoo auctions. Most forum transactions worked by sending the goods at the same time as payment was mailed.

It's amazing how things have changed. Nowadays we would not even consider sending someone's goods before receiving payment. Back then, there was usually no other option.

So, do you think that people are less trustworthy now? I personally could not even imagine doing deals like we used to on "the other forums".

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
I think there's less respect for the individual now with internet anonymity. Some people are reckless in the sense that they don't care about anyone else's financial situation before they think of scamming them or screwing them out of money because to them they're just a username on a computer screen.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
whargarbl

Hah I was on Ebay back in 1999 and helped beta test Paypal. Before that the only thing that you could do is look at their feedback & pray. I was only beat on 2 deals in 3 years so I was lucky I guess.
I still try to be lenient with people nowadays. If you communicate with me I have no problems but if you choose to ignore me you get crap feedback. I had 2 of those happen on Ebay in the last 3 months. The person who was stranded, told me the issue & apologized received positive feedback. The person who refused to ignore my 14 emails got a negative.
BlitzkriegUDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fish Taco

remember COD's?
ih8cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Yeah cod was huge. Also, feedback was everything. Also seniority meant a lot (as in how long you were a member)

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8cornnuts View Post
remember COD's?
Forgot about those. Only used that on high dollar deals b/c you had to pay for COD.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fish Taco

I still laugh about all the paintball and car parts I would buy with COD's whenever I see the checkmarks on shipping documents. They're only used with businesses now and with the proliferation of credit cards, they're barely used then.
ih8cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I can't believe how ebay has changed... It used to be the place to go for stuff, now it seems like it is hard to find a good deal anymore.

I seem to buy more off craigslist now. It has to meet a certain criteria to "fit" on ebay and be worth the hassle. (shipping stuff is a PAIN) I sell tons of stuff on craigslist now. Course the good "deals" are often spam on craigslist... which is a pain.

Paypal is very convenient and makes selling low dollar stuff worth it, as the money just goes right into your account, and you can get a paypal debit card that works like a credit card... I use that for all my shipping costs, and fun money.

For a while it seemed like ebay was just dying off. I sell stickers on there, and I quit for an entire year because they weren't selling. Now they are selling again, but nothing like it used to be. I used to sell a set every day... Now it is usually one or two a week.

Ebay sent me crazy offers trying to get me back, so I get my listings free and my buy it now AND auction price free. So I only pay if it sells... Which makes it worth the listings that don't get bid on. But, it explains why there is so much junk to wade through as they are doing that for other members too, and people just spam the site with tons of their stuff.

I've been using ebay since 2001, holy cow, I'm old.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

I remember using COD's with I think it was action village back in the day. That was awesome lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
I can't believe how ebay has changed... It used to be the place to go for stuff, now it seems like it is hard to find a good deal anymore.
Agreed! Ebay makes it hard to be a seller on their site and they are constantly changing or modifying things. The one thing they did that pissed me off the most was hold my money (even the shipping costs i charged) until I shipped the item out and provided a tracking number. Even then they told me it would be TWO WEEKS after before I would receive the money in my paypal. If i didn't post a tracking number I wouldn't see my money for a MONTH.

Another thing that pisses me off is there are some good markers that go up for sale yet the seller wants full retail price of the marker that they paid 6 or so years ago.

Last edited by Steve_81; 05-28-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

While you can still find the occasional good deal on eBay, I want to point out that Craigslist in my area is actually worse in regards to paintball equipment. Every single paintball listing I see is just full of things that people are trying to sell for 2x or 3x (or even more, in some cases... no joke) what I could get it on eBay or around here for. I'm yet to find the infamous Craigslist steal that I've seen some of you grab up
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat