mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

There are times that I get "burned out". I like my job. I like taking classes at college. I like working on the tractor. I like my church. I try to find enough time for the community and rotary. From time to time they get overwhelming and I have to call a "time-out" day.

Basically I tell my wife that on that day noone is to expect anything from me. I will sometimes take my bike for a ride or sometimes just wander around the house doing little things that I have not got around to. Noone expects anything and most of the time I convince everyone to simply avoid me. It is tremendously relaxing really.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
chuff chuff

I've had great luck working for small business companies. It's extremely flexible and functions more like a family from my experience, obviously YMMV. In my current job it's nice that I can get my feet wet in other areas of the company too, e.g. even though I'm in a video production area, I've been able to do work in marketing and app development.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

What is the degree in? It's always best to keep your current job while exploring your options. Look into moving within the company as that might be easier than going elsewhere. It might be that you just don't like the exact thing you are doing but a small (or not so small even) shift might be all you need to go into something that is a much better fit for you.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
Needing some advice, or maybe some words of wisdom from your older guys who have "been there, done that." I'll give a little bit of back story, and hopefully you guys can give me some advice.

I'm 24, married, and recently a home owner. I work full time as a "Retail Banker" at one of the largest banks in the US. I make "ok" money. Right around 40k when it's all said and done. The problem is, I hate it.

It's the most stressful thing I've ever done. The sales quotas are astronomically and I'm expected to blatantly lie to and deceive customers daily in the name of "helping them achieve financial success". I've been with the company for a year, and had hopes of being able to apply into a job out of the retail part of the company, but I've had zero success. Before this, I sold used cars, and it wasn't nearly as stressful or sleazy.

How can I make a change? I've applied and had an interview or two, but nothing has came of them. I have a bachelor's degree so I'm not lacking education.

How can I find a real career? Do all of you go to a job you hate everyday? Or are there jobs out there were the first thing you say when you get up to go to work is not "F***"? Is it bad that I'd fill more fulfilled if I went and waited tables?
Wow, just wow. If we're gonna go by stereotypes, that should tell you something about your banking job.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat