mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
let's electrocute our sole single specimen. maybe we can trick the nervous system into thinking it's alive!
LOL, exactly and;

The air seems breathable down here. Quick, take off your breathing helmets and expose yourself to foreign elements that couldn't possibly be dangerous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
I am a fag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
I thought it was cool. I laughed pretty hard when the one guys got the glass melted on his face.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I liked the movie. Lots of questions though. I really thought they were going to tie in the "space jockey" at the end of the movie to the same one in the beginning of Alien. The one found with his chest burst open. I was expecting him to get off the planet and then (being infected with a chest burster) crash land on LB426, but instead they just rammed the ship with Promethius. That could have been a cool tie in!

MCB FeedBack +55/-0

PBN Feedback +28/-0

Ebay Feedback +72/-0
PARADIGM 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARADIGM 117 View Post
I liked the movie. Lots of questions though. I really thought they were going to tie in the "space jockey" at the end of the movie to the same one in the beginning of Alien. The one found with his chest burst open. I was expecting him to get off the planet and then (being infected with a chest burster) crash land on LB426, but instead they just rammed the ship with Promethius. That could have been a cool tie in!
But then there would be human and android remains on the ship when the crew from Alien rolls around.

Did anyone notice the Alien head molded into the chamber door with the xenomorph goo?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I may have miscounted but when they orignally went to the alien shipbut, 6 people went in three vehicles. Shaw, David, holloway, fifield, millburn, and ford. Fifield And millburn are the two that get lost. When the storm hits the others can be seen running back to the vehicles, the four of them jump onto the two smaller carts. Who is driving the big truck back beside them?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

we only saw shaw and charlie leave together, the other 2 could have each driven 1 vehicle?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Eating Iranian Happy Cake

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I thought the pacing kind of sucked. They started building up, the it was like everything was happening at once with no explanation.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
I thought the pacing kind of sucked. They started building up, the it was like everything was happening at once with no explanation.
how so?

i walked into the theater expecting a scifi movie, so i may be more satisfied than someone expecting a horror flick. the important parts made sense to me though.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

This is an interesting read:

Read this for some Prometheus insight
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber_Ghost View Post
This is an interesting read:

Read this for some Prometheus insight
Good read.

My personal interpretation is that the goo in Prometheus is the weaponized version of the eggs in Alien.

The eggs hatch into the facehuggers which not only limits the kind and number of possible hosts (a facehugger isn't going to hug an earth worm), but it also forces the death of the host via the hatching of the xeno. This is great for the xenos, but isn't a useful weapon unless all you want is a planet transformed into xenoland.

The black goo on the other hand only requires one drop to infect any living creature. A goo canister - which is slightly smaller than an egg - can infect multiple people. Heck, it might be possible to turn it into an aerosol and really go to town on some place. Another advantage of the goo is that it doesn't create a xeno from the original host. It seems to turn them into zombie-like (28 Days kind) creature. This is what happened to the geologist who was exposed to a very large sample of the goo, and it is probably safe to assume that it is what would happen to the main science guy if he wasn't toasted (his transform took longer since he was only exposed to one drop). This is a much better weapon because it only seems to lead to death and destruction among the exposed population.

It is possible that the unexpected side-effect of the goo is that if it is given to a woman it basically turns their womb into an egg-like pod which allows the growth of a facehugger inside the woman. Since the goo is a weaponized version of the xeno, it can be concluded that any facehugger created with it would most likely be bigger and meaner just like the squid baby seen in the movie. This facehugger can then go on and do it's hugging business and infect a host (Engineer) with the usual xeno creature as seen in the end.

It's now possible to conclude that what wiped out the Engineer base on 223 was an accidental exposure of a female Engineer to the black goo leading to the creation of one angry xeno.

I've also heard something along the lines that Scott was originally trying to make a movie based on HP Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness story taking place in space, but couldn't get funding. By modifying the story into a more Alien one gave him the money to make it, but created a movie that doesn't quite fit into the Alien history. Would explain the tentacle horror better though.

As far as the dumb mistakes made by everyone in the movie, I think that can be linked to typical horror movie tropes where the characters do dumb things just to keep the plot moving at a reasonable pace. They did go a little overboard with it though.
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat