mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Ok. Long time Sci-Fi guy here. I mainlined Star Wars when I was 6 and then I moved on to more thinky and less blowy-up movies over the years.

I think that the alien at the beginning takes the ooze to begin life on earth. He is getting broken down on the genetic level, and the raw gene-stuff begins to reform in the water (where scientists believe that life started after some sort of catalyst event like an alien drinking living black goo and disolving in Niagra falls).

I also like the larger themes about belief and science/religion...

All the major characters are driven by their belief in something. For Shaw, (the female lead), she believes in some kind of higher power, and chasing down the aliens is a step in the process to find out the big "why" of life. I love the scene where she's asked what to do now that we've discovered who made us, and she just replys, "But who made them?"

Her boyfriend Charlie believes in himself and his skills. Hence his breakdown and boozefest when it turns out that he has been wrong, that this planet isn't full of live aliens that he can talk to. He has a crisis of faith in himself, leading him to (albeit with help from David) self destruction.

Wyland believes that he can escape death. He is driven by that need to expend insane amounts of money, and rush into a horrific situation at the expense of several other's lives. He believes that he has only days left, so he pushes the boundries and is destroyed.

It's interesting to me that all of those who put their faith in science are led to dissapointment and destruction. Only the mystic (Shaw) survives to continue her quest. The rest are consumed by their journey, or sacrificed to it. That's an interesting, yet often used theme in Sci-Fi, that of the out of control scientist unleashing horrors. In this case, the survivor-girl largely has the will to go on based on her faith.

David is an interesting addition to the story. I agree that he makes the film more than any other character. He has no moral compass, and is just as happy being told what to do by Shaw as by Wyland. He is a child, learning what his world is about and doing things simply because he has been ordered to do so. His search for identity is facinating. His interactions with the crew and his creator make the story. He is both savior and destructor, servant and master, teacher and student. He can be unexpectedly gentle, as well as undeservedly cruel. In many ways, his journey is one of self descovery. I think in his own way, David has faith in Shaw. He has latched onto her in a way that is creepy and tender at the same time. She is his first love, and at the end, may be the mother figure for him as Wyland was the remote father.

Vickers, Wyland's daughter is trapped. I think that is why she can't escape the crushing ship at the end. It's symbolic of her being trapped in her life. She is the daughter of a man who loves an artificial son more than he does her. She is trapped in a narrow, rigid life, with few pleasures even though she has everything she could possibly need (symbolized by the lavish "escape pod"). There is no escape for her, and ultimately, she is destroyed even though the goals of the mission are not her own.

Lots going on here... I don't think the movie will do very well. I enjoyed the heck out of it, and it is beautifully shot. It's also one of the few movies I've seen lately where the 3-d added goodness.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I found the movie enjoyable because it's so open to interpretation. There are many flaws, but there are also many open ends.

Could Vickers be a robot just like David? Her personality isn't that much different. She's Wayland's daughter but doesn't look all that much older than David, and Wayland is crazy old. She has her own personal super surgery machine, but that machine isn't designed to work on females.

I agree that David is probably the most enjoyable character in the movie. He is like a child, only just learning stuff, but also behaves like he has secret orders that he follows. Reminds me of HAL somewhat. he seems to identify a lot with Lawrence from Lawrence of Arabia (the movie that he watches at the beginning). Makes me think of the phrase "he walks among them, but he is not one of them" (from Lost).
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan aresta View Post
Could Vickers be a robot just like David? Her personality isn't that much different. She's Wayland's daughter but doesn't look all that much older than David, and Wayland is crazy old. She has her own personal super surgery machine, but that machine isn't designed to work on females.
I think the machine is for Wayland. It adds a certain irony to her lines about having everything she needs to survive... she has all these comforts, but not the love of a distand father.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
An artist. Not an expert.

Nothing in this movie surprised me. And I don't mean it lacked horror shocks. Story, characters, ideas, visuals - all of the elements were unoriginal. Recycled. I really expected better from Ridley Scott.

Last edited by Tom Hering; 06-11-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removal of Dumb Statement
Tom Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
Anyone else think those flamethrowers were super lame? My zippo could have done a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
I am a fag.
Quote:
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Anyone else think those flamethrowers were super lame? My zippo could have done a better job.
My first impression was that they were NOT weapons, but some utilitarian tool. They were clearly not flamethrowers (which shoot pressurized liquid gas), but burners of some sort. The director does not explain and I prefer it that way.

Quote:
Scott was originally trying to make a movie based on Mountains of Madness
The story that I heard was that Universal currently has the rights to TMOM, greenlighted to Guillermo Del Toro, who was about to begin pre-production of the TMOM flim. So Ridley Scott tweaked the story a bit to avoid any legal tangles..... but Prometheus was still similar enough that Universal JUST RECENTLY killed the TMOM of project, fearing it was too similar.

Obviously... lots more to that story...

Anyway, I loved the movie. It was a great science fiction story. I knew it wasnt horror, but I'd imagine people would be disappointed if they went hoping for that.

I loved David, especially. Why did he purposely infect Charlie? And he seemed to know that it would lead to Elizabeth getting infected? I assumed he was operating under secret orders, but then he was really nasty towards elizabeth? as if he had some sort of malfunction? Broken robots acting badly is a sci-fi staple, and it may be the case, but it was never resolved.

The only bits I didn't like was the last 30 minutes. It all seemed rushed, like Scott had lots of ideas, and decided to just throw them into the movie, killing the pacing, and adding some plot holes.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
My first impression was that they were NOT weapons, but some utilitarian tool. They were clearly not flamethrowers (which shoot pressurized liquid gas), but burners of some sort. The director does not explain and I prefer it that way.

Actually it was pretty clear that they were weapons. Shaw asked the mercenary why he was carrying a weapon and that science does not require weapons. The merc responded that it was his job to keep everyone safe.

Quote:
I am a fag.
Quote:
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Modder at heart

I enjoyed the movie, but was dissappointed that the ending did not tie in with alien, which it had the potental to if the script was reworked.

After reading this thread though, my opinon has changed. Things make more sense now. I especially enjoyed robertsr's interpretation of the symbolism and archetypes. Now i must see it again to find more!

As for the black goo. I believe it is the "essence" of the xenomorph. Just like in the begginning when the engineer sacrificed himself, his essence in the form of a dissolved black cloud in water created humans which were similar, but not exact to the creators. The alien essence was self forming (that cobra creature) as well as infected people, but the end result is a xenomorph type creature.

They also had a separate larger room with more of those containers. My guess is those are to repopulate (earth) with creatures that they desire. Game creatures, or a long lost alien colony.
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

My thought is that the prometheus planet (LV223?) was a military instillation as stated in the movie. It is possible that earth was created as a biological laboratory of sorts. Since humans have the same DNA as the engineers, it is plausible that the engineers were going to test their new black goo bioweapon on humans to determine what it would do to their own species.

This could either be because the engineers were only one faction of the engineer type race, which was at war with some other faction, or the engineers were planning a war against humans themselves. Having seen their experiment through, they were ready to move on to bigger and better things, which would mean they need to start from scratch. Otherwise, the engineers may have started to see humanity as a superior and/or violent race, which needed to be put down. This is supported by David's saying, "A king has his reign, and then he dies". Maybe the engineers, like Weyland, were trying to prolong their reign, and humanity was going to be getting in the way of their future plans.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Check out Weyland Industries. Bunch of stuff about the timeline they are trying to create.
Angelballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat