mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

prometheus post-watching discussion?

i thought i'd start an obvious spoiler thread so we can freely discuss it.

i really appreciate ridley scott sticking to the canon life cycle and original lore of the xenomorph (parasite juvenile obtaining dna from host to become adult that has host characteristics to help it survive local terrain). anyone else notice it? there were worms in the puddles so the xenomorphs were at first worms.

and now we know why there's a giant man in the original alien movie...

but tentacles. tentacles everywhere.

seriously though, not all scientists are obsessive people like the movie describes...

but why did they start life on earth? anyone has a clue? why did that first alien guy kill himself with the poison liquid?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Space Pope Extraordinaire

Brass N Wood Fan
I have the same questions you did, and the movie even has characters that ask similar questions... sadly they make no effort to answer them.

Also, how did the guy who deployed the map beacons get "lost" on his way out? Why does the guy who funded the whole operation feel the need to stowaway on his own ship? Why does that same guy, who spent so much time patiently waiting to reveal himself once on the planet, then feel the need to hurriedly rush into the site against the warnings of the very experts he invested a trillion dollars in? Why run in same direction as the crashing ship when apparently a sidestep of three rolls to the right (so 10ft tops) can get you to safety? And why oh why do you send your crew on a suicide mission so that the aliens "wont attack Earth" only to climb aboard another spaceship with the plan of raising as much hell as possible for those same aliens (as if the aliens will have no idea what planet she came from or anything...)?

While the special effects were fantastic, I have to give the overall film a C-... I hope there is a directors cut that has some nice extended scenes, that may solve some of my larger issues.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Yeah... The girl running under the rolling spaceship was an idiot.

A simple barrel roll would have saved her life.

I enjoyed the visual effects, but there's a ton of unanswered questions.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

CCM Fan
David made the movie for me. But the lack of "rational thinking" really irked me. I mean, besides the aforementioned geologist getting lost, there was also the initial approach to the planet.

They rush down to the planet's surface and haphazardly encounter the installation. Hell, even archaeologists are trained to at least conduct a survey before going to a new site. Did no one think to scan the planet from orbit and then plan a place to go? I mean, you just spent the last 2 years in cold sleep; why are you in a hurry? All those weather problems they ran in to unexpectedly on the surface could of been planned for if they properly used some remote sensing (which they had the technology for).

But, seriously... David versus Data. Who would win?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
adult film watcher

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
yea i just seen it today... the whole starfish tentacle i didnt understand to much...

like heinous said, at least we know where those giant guys came from...

but why the hell do one of those guys drink the black stuff in the beginning of the movie... i noticed the ships leaving the planet in that scene, so was he being exiled to earth? and given that stuff as a death sentence only to create humans?
Modded-Like-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

anyone else think there could be another film after this?
king05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i rather like the irony of the geologist getting lost, especially because it was followed by the biologist getting killed by local wildlife.

yes, i find it ridiculous that the only preparation they took were map scanner drones. i'm going to guess that their lack of prepartions were only because weyland didn't care to fund it.

as for the starfish tentacle monster, i do have an idea.

it's canonical that the xenomorph acquires dna from its host during its parasitic period, to emerge as an adult that carries the characteristics of the host. the black ooze was clearly announced by one of those characters to be "organic." i deduce that the minimal version of a xenomorph may be microscopic and that the ooze IS a bunch of xenomorphs, which is what the giant men were weaponizing. this would explain why the ooze moves. this would also explain why david fed the guy 1 drop of it and a xenomorph worm came out of his eyeball: the microscopic xenomorphs may have parasitized his existing parasites (parasites parasitizing other parasites is a known phenomenon). the ooze-being-microscopic-xenomorphs idea would also explain why worm-like xenomorphs emerged from puddles and soil that was clearly shown to have worms living in it. the same idea would also explain the tentacle monster in the girl's uteral: a microscopic xenomorph inside the guy may have parasitized one of his sperms.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
ArchAngels

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i rather like the irony of the geologist getting lost, especially because it was followed by the biologist getting killed by local wildlife.

yes, i find it ridiculous that the only preparation they took were map scanner drones. i'm going to guess that their lack of prepartions were only because weyland didn't care to fund it.

as for the starfish tentacle monster, i do have an idea.

it's canonical that the xenomorph acquires dna from its host during its parasitic period, to emerge as an adult that carries the characteristics of the host. the black ooze was clearly announced by one of those characters to be "organic." i deduce that the minimal version of a xenomorph may be microscopic and that the ooze IS a bunch of xenomorphs, which is what the giant men were weaponizing. this would explain why the ooze moves. this would also explain why david fed the guy 1 drop of it and a xenomorph worm came out of his eyeball: the microscopic xenomorphs may have parasitized his existing parasites (parasites parasitizing other parasites is a known phenomenon). the ooze-being-microscopic-xenomorphs idea would also explain why worm-like xenomorphs emerged from puddles and soil that was clearly shown to have worms living in it. the same idea would also explain the tentacle monster in the girl's uteral: a microscopic xenomorph inside the guy may have parasitized one of his sperms.

WOW, now I really have to see this movie!
Fatalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
The worst display of scientific method and safety procedure ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
I am a fag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
The worst display of scientific method and safety procedure ever.
let's electrocute our sole single specimen. maybe we can trick the nervous system into thinking it's alive!

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat