mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Not one of the cool kids

I have been lucky enough to go to Jamaica 3 times. Last year, I did my honeymoon at Couples Swept Away in Negril. Best 10 days of my life.

In my time in Jamaica, I did a lil bit of everything: got to snorkel in the caves from the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies, rode a bike through a coffee plantation, got to see Tosh and Marley's final resting places, ziplining, cimbed waterfalls, even went to a local mall to score a pair of jamaican pumas.

I have never felt unsafe over there. People were very warm and welcoming. I made friends that I still talk to today. The wife and I love Jamaica enough that we hope to own a vacation house there someday.

All inclusive is a great idea as long as it's done right. Used in the right way, you get great service at the resorts, top shelf food and liqour and everyone is happy about it. That's how Couples was ( NO KIDS!). The staff would get terminated on sight if they were caught taking a tip. At first, I had my doubts about this system, but it worked flawlessly.
At other resorts, you can still tip for great service. Been to the Riu hotels twice in Jamaica. Great food, great drinks, great service.Just be ready to tip a buck or two for it.
The bottom of the barrel would be the spanish owned hotels, like Gran Bahia Principe.
It, too was all inclusive, but was a joke. lousy drinks, crap food, and rude staff, all with their hand out wanting a tip. Hotel was dirty, broken and nasty., Room service even swiped my smokes! Now I know why they want $12 a day for a door to the room safe.
I would rather spend August in a motel 6 in lubbock than to go back to the Gran Bahia Principe. I honestly wouldn't go back if they gave me 2 free weeks there.

Both weeks at the Riu were right around 2k per person, couples was about 2300 each and the Gran Bahia was like 1700. Couples gave the most bang for the buck, premium drinks and top notch food and service. ( I would totally punch a nun, right now, for one of Durman's top shelf martini's and one of the poached pears on goat cheese from the steakhouse from couples.Couples also threw in lots of activities for free that other resorts charged for. Free snorkleing, free scuba lessons and cert., free golf, tennis and booze cruises, plus lots more.
Feel free to p.m. me if you want any more info.
Give me a month and I'll be able to tell you what Punta Cana is like for a week.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
I second Australia and New Zealand but I would not do it in Aug. They are having their winter there.

Spain is nice too but really hot.

New Zealand is my favorite country
But Barcelona is my favorite city

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Iran?
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
Iran?
lol.... this guy....

Edit: I went to Brazil for mine ~2 years ago, specifically, Bahia. We had a blast. If ure interested, pm me and I can give you more details in location and my experiences.

Last edited by D3adpool; 06-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.
D3adpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post
lol.... this guy....

Edit: I went to Brazil for mine ~2 years ago, specifically, Bahia. We had a blast. If ure interested, pm me and I can give you more details in location and my experiences.
Those kids that went hiking that way, they had an all expenses paid trip....food, lodging....where is the downside?
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
you life! lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
Those kids that went hiking that way, they had an all expenses paid trip....food, lodging....where is the downside?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Sedona if you want to keep it semi-local. We went on our 5th as a delayed honeymoon.

Beautiful landscape.
Jeep tours, rent one, or drive your own. (Do 'Broken Arrow' for sure)
Helicopter rides. (We did the short one unsure how it would be and now we will be going back for as many as we can fit in)
Peacefully calm drives to some of the outlooks.
Grand Canyon is pretty close.
Oak Creek Brewery

CON: It's at ~4400 feet, so expect to get winded

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Future Robocop

Hmm, out of everything, Costa Rico is sounding like the nicest in our price range.

anyone go to thailand? (specificall phuket of phiphi?) I've head thailand was awesome for honeymooners
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I havent been to Thailand... on my to-do list but I have been to Costa Rica as well with my wife (at time she was my fiancee)..... really really nice place too. Are you looking at the beach resorts or the in-land tropical jungle ones? We spent maybe a week there. 2 days in San Juan and the rest at the resorts in the tropical jungle. Did the volcano tour, zipline (a must!!) and horse-back riding to name a few. You cant go wrong with this option either.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Future Robocop

I guess we were thinking more about a beach resort, but I wouldn't mind doing a couple days in the jungle if there were some really cool sites to see.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat