mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
All the numbers disagree. In every state that has capital punishment - Murder has not gone down.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Think back bro - would you like a tit - for - tat for your crimes and sins?

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
30 years ago I killed a hooker because she faked her orgasm. I managed to flee into the wilderness where I lived a comfortable life except I had to wipe my *** with pinecones every day. Now, today, I want to return to rejoin the real world.

Am I still a hooker-killer?

Crime is crime. Being good at avoiding the consequences (for a while) does not make crime less of a crime.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Autotriggerhappy. :)

CCM Fan
If you had to wipe your *** with pinecones every day for 30 years, that is punishment enough.

Hooker-killer? Yes. But this guy did not kill, only deserted. Crime? Yes, but desertion is something else than murder.
Yes! I love being in battle! I love the moment when my marker stops being a machine and becomes part of me! My blood boils and my mind goes all white! It's an incredible high! There's no time to think, only action!

FiXeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
30 years ago I killed a hooker because she faked her orgasm. I managed to flee into the wilderness where I lived a comfortable life except I had to wipe my *** with pinecones every day. Now, today, I want to return to rejoin the real world.

Am I still a hooker-killer?

Crime is crime. Being good at avoiding the consequences (for a while) does not make crime less of a crime.
Great analogy.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
desertion is a crime, you don't have to be a criminal to decide what you think is a deserving punishment for a crime.
Well, being an illegal alien is supposed to be a crime as well....
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
All the numbers disagree. In every state that has capital punishment - Murder has not gone down.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Think back bro - would you like a tit - for - tat for your crimes and sins?

TF
there are more practical reasons, besides an attempt to lower murder rate, to stop capital punishments more than other punishments. without going off on a tangent, for example you cannot un-kill someone who got framed, but someone jailed for life who got framed can at least be released and paid back money for lost time for what it's worth.

just because the criminal doesn't die doesn't mean life sentence isn't equally harsh enough to maintain the tit-for-tat effect. however, using missed family time as replacement for official punishment seems too lopsidedly lenient to me. where do you stop? it sounds like orphans and adopted people all deserve a get-out-of-draft-free card. hell, some of them may never see their family, that's at least 2x30 years, but you wouldn't free them from jail twice just because of that, would you?

i like tit-for-that for my crimes and sins, to the same extent that i enjoy the cringe i get every time i see someone get a slap on the wrist. it's natural to want to minimize your own punishment, that doesn't mean people should stop striving to be fair. he was caught (or he revealed himself) committing the crime, he should do the time. heck, it bothers me that i wasn't caught for some of the stuff that i did, although none of them were anywhere near as bad as desertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Well, being an illegal alien is supposed to be a crime as well....
yes. i have no idea why people debate it, but i don't think talking about it here is a good idea. it still makes sense: you don't have to become an illegal alien just to know what you think should be done about it.

Last edited by heinous; 06-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
Henious,

Just do like this guy did - turn yourself in. But I would wager none of us are really willing to do that.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
yes. i have no idea why people debate it, but i don't think talking about it here is a good idea.
Agreed, just food for thought.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Henious,

Just do like this guy did - turn yourself in. But I would wager none of us are really willing to do that.

TF
it would be a more interesting wager on whether he would have come clean, if instead of no predicted harm would be done, the lawyer he consulted said it would ruin his life! who knows, maybe he'll become another "none of us." it sure wouldn't be a surprise. besides, he has been a "none of us" for longer than i have lived

edit: this deserter isn't the only guy who comes clean after receiving a fairly solid confirmation that no harm could come from his confession. remember oj simpson? remember his book? he even titled it "if it did it." i still think that was hilarious, but i would wager if everyone receives an okay like that deserter did, a lot more confessions would be made.

Last edited by heinous; 06-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

This is really a minor detail. He will more than likely be given a dishonorable discharge. His life will be ruined in Sweden. He'll move back to Thiland with his Wife. The shame of all this for the rest of his life is the worst. This just isn't worth the money the Air Force/US Gov. would have to spend.

When I was 19yrs old, I made the same mistake of enlisting. I wanted to leave so many times. Just ask to get out or walk away. However the shame of the decisions made me stick it out. 21 yrs later I knew I had made the correct decision to stay.

So it isn't hard to get out. Walking away is an insult to the people who gave you the opportunity to improve your life. We are talking the Air Force here. It's not that hard.
He should have to pay back every Dime the Military invested in him, that would be a great fine.

Then let him go with a dishoroable discharge, and go about his business and life.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 06-17-2012 at 01:07 PM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat