mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->
 
ta2maki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny Southern California

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
My daughter goes to a private school, which we pay for... It's a great school. But I'm also still paying for public school. So basically I'm paying twice for a better education.
Do you mean taxes? Then since I have no kids, I am paying for no education.
ta2maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SCMO
Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Speaking for the Orlando public school system (and FL in general) yes, yes it is. Our children are being shortchanged at the expense of the FCATS and school funding.
I feel the need to elaborate on this. Here in FL (well, now I'm in MO) public school funding is dictated by the schools scores on the FCAT. As such, our kids have gone from learning curriculum they need for education and to be competitive to being "farmed" into standardized test taking robots.

They aren't getting the education they deserve because they spend the majority of the year having FCATs and practice FCATs shoved down their throats. The thing is, you can't entirely blame the schools. They're just doing what they have to do to keep the lights on since they can barely afford to provide supplies because they're so overcrowded.

The whole system needs a reboot.
__________________

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Inch of Gold
 
Mayvik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Denver

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Learning how to be social > learning social studies the bestest evar.

Also home schooling assumes one or more parent figures is capable and available to provide quality education. Go to Walmart at 2PM on a standard work day and tell me what percentage of people there you think can provide a better education for their spawn than the public school system, no matter how decrepit...
__________________
My Feedback
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Memento mori.
 
Finnigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ. Exit 77

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I feel the need to elaborate on this. Here in FL (well, now I'm in MO) public school funding is dictated by the schools scores on the FCAT. As such, our kids have gone from learning curriculum they need for education and to be competitive to being "farmed" into standardized test taking robots.

They aren't getting the education they deserve because they spend the majority of the year having FCATs and practice FCATs shoved down their throats. The thing is, you can't entirely blame the schools. They're just doing what they have to do to keep the lights on since they can barely afford to provide supplies because they're so overcrowded.

The whole system needs a reboot.
I'm afraid I am seeing the same thing here in NJ with my kids and the ASK tests. It seems their entire curriculum is being bent to pass this test. We are also seeing their "special" classes like Art and music disappear. Spanish is now taught with Rosetta Stone software.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->
 
ta2maki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny Southern California

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Maybe the solution would be to change the standardized tests so that passing them required the education the kids deserve.
ta2maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Michigan

The problem is not the standardized testing.

The students that the author is so in love with also score well on standardized testing. Its not like their education leaves them incapable of passing a standardized test.
__________________
"In the essentials: unity; in the non-essentials: liberty; in all things: love" - often incorrectly attributed to Augustine or John Wesley - original source in question

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member
 
MaD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A2, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Learning how to be social > learning social studies the bestest evar.

Also home schooling assumes one or more parent figures is capable and available to provide quality education. Go to Walmart at 2PM on a standard work day and tell me what percentage of people there you think can provide a better education for their spawn than the public school system, no matter how decrepit...
I agree on the social aspect. I'd like to see the study that compares the social skills of home schooled vs. public schooled.

For your reasons I also don't believe home schooling is a solution to anything. For the people who have the time and ability to do it, sure. What about the single moms who work 2 jobs to make ends meet?

I won't argue that many school systems are horrible. I don't know the overall solution but it seems like a pretty sad "solution" from someone who provides higher education.
__________________
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Game
 
pirhana92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Findlay, Ohio

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I was homeschooled from grade 2-12 and I have to say. It has its advantages and disadvantages. First off, homeschooled kids do socialize. I was and still am a very social person. In bigger cities and even in some smaller cities, there are "home school get togethers"...you just have to do some research.

If you homeschool your kid, please teach them everything they would be taught in school. My parents left out alot and I feel as if I'm not ready for college. There are some online schools that are very good. I took an online school for highschool and I loved it. I learned alot and I got good grades.

However, even though I think homeschooling is a good idea, its not for everyone. Try it out for a year and see how you like it. The biggest problem for homeschooled students is the fact that they don't want to listen to their parents or the parents don't teach their kids at all which has happened numerous times.

I would talk it over with your wife and kids and get their opinions before you make any rash decisions.

Side note: Homeschooled kids have friends and lives, anyone that says otherwise is wrong. I've always had friends and almost every weekend since I can remember I've had friends over. I've always LOTS of friends!
pirhana92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SCMO
Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
The problem is not the standardized testing.

The students that the author is so in love with also score well on standardized testing. Its not like their education leaves them incapable of passing a standardized test.
I have to disagree in this case. When you have a whole state (K-12) geared up to teach kids to pass a test in which scores are directly tied to the schools funding you end up with kids who are receiving inadequate curriculum and with such, their education suffers. They are being taught to pass the test and missing out on critical pieces of education.

I'm not saying this is the situation in all states but it is definitely the case in FL. Thankfully, I got out of the public school system during the infancy of FCAT before the big switch.
__________________

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I have to disagree in this case. When you have a whole state (K-12) geared up to teach kids to pass a test in which scores are directly tied to the schools funding you end up with kids who are receiving inadequate curriculum and with such, their education suffers. They are being taught to pass the test and missing out on critical pieces of education.

I'm not saying this is the situation in all states but it is definitely the case in FL. Thankfully, I got out of the public school system during the infancy of FCAT before the big switch.
But that is not the fault of the testing.

Put that same standardized test in front of a selected sample of students such as the author talks about. They have this supposedly much better education that is not geared to the test. Care to wonder who will do better?

You are comparing kids out of the general education system to samples that are selectively picked. A child that is hard to home school gets kicked into the public education system. Most children who are selected to home school are naturally gifted in the first place and parents feel the system will hold them back.

India, to the best of my recollection, does not have compulsary or state paid schooling. Those coming out of the system are already the select of the select.

Those travelling to a foreign country for a higher education are generally the elite.

So he is comparing a sample out of a non-selective group (those in public school) to samples of selective groups. Of course those are the ones going to do best.

It would be like going to a pick up basketball game and letting me have the first ten picks (and then trading any players I did not want for those I selected from your team) and then leaving you with the twenty leftovers. Of course my team is going to do better.

Do we wonder why samples of selected individuals do better against samples out of the general population? Do we really wonder that? I am willing to bet my daughter's test scores compete with any homeschooled or foreign students. Let me take a selective sample from the public education pool and you will find those students are competetive. Make me use a sample including those who are the worst performing and of course it won't compete.
__________________
"In the essentials: unity; in the non-essentials: liberty; in all things: love" - often incorrectly attributed to Augustine or John Wesley - original source in question

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC