mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #51 (permalink)
Rec Poster

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
I feel different. I went to public school, had amazing teachers, reasonable class sizes, and a good learning experience.
Care to elaborate on the Canadian School system in general?
Or to be more specific, what were your class sizes like, how old were the books/teaching materials, do you have standardized testing like we do here in the states? I would be interested to know how our neighbors educate.
Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #52 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
My classes averaged about 35 people, some books were as old as 20 years (Physics), while some were brand new. We (At least in Alberta) have standardized tests at the grade 9 and 12 levels. I was in a high school with about 1500 people, in a 50 year old building, that while I was there was being renovated. (Coincidentally, I worked for the construction company in my old high school the summer after I graduated.) My brother went to a different school, he had similar experience. The most standard tests I did, and in my mind the most pointless, was in grade 10 when I was in the AP program. I'm pretty sure it was the same test the kids down south were writing at the same time.

I have to add, some of the most awkward kids I have met, went to private schools. They are good at school, but that doesn't help them in the real world.
How to get around UPS fees

Last edited by mtaylor; 06-20-2012 at 04:52 PM.
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #53 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBoy78 View Post
Portables aren't such a big deal. My high school had 35 portables.
This is true when they aren't stuffed to twice their legal capacity. I had an advanced class once where twelve of us were in a portable, it was quite nice. Then I had classes with more than four times that many students and it was awful.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat