mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

"Get them out now before you ruin their life"

Hmm... interesting article.

My Word: Jack Chambless Is it time to think about home schooling your child? - Orlando Sentinel

What do you think? Is public education too far gone, and the only way to save your kids is to home school them?
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bob
Rec Poster

My wife and I talked a long time about this. We are defiantly doing something like this. There are coop schools in the community so the home schooled kids can socialize twice a week.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

When people start throwing around terms like sample size without sharing data they tend to lose a bit of credibility with me. Do I think our K-12 system is great? No. Do I think it reasonable to compare it to selected samples from other nations? Nope.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
DO NOT HOMESCHOOL YOUR KIDS!!!!!

I was homeschooled with an online program and it was the worst school I'd ever "attended". Terrible teacher-student communication. If I had a question I had to email my teacher and I was lucky to get a response 2 days later. That and the assignment submission was glitchy--I got so many zeros as scores because the damn submission program was always broken.

My grades were terrible year-round and I always ended up having to cram and study my *** off for every course exam because, due to my terrible averages, if I got anything low on any exams I'd fail the class.

That and I had pretty much no life for the 2 years I was homeschooled... I hardly got out of the house at all and saw my friends once a week, sometimes less.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

^ isn't home school... You are describing online school, there is a big difference.

Home schooling is where the parents are teaching their kids at home. Sometimes online curriculum is used, but it is parent driven, not by a teacher off site.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Hmm... interesting article.

My Word: Jack Chambless Is it time to think about home schooling your child? - Orlando Sentinel

What do you think? Is public education too far gone, and the only way to save your kids is to home school them?
Speaking for the Orlando public school system (and FL in general) yes, yes it is. Our children are being shortchanged at the expense of the FCATS and school funding.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
depot damager

I think a good bit of Parent/Child time after public school would help out better. Go over what your child learned that day, help them understand. If both parents are working or there is a single parent situation, this would be Ideal. You can't expect to hand your kids off to the State to teach them about lifes basics and prepare them for life ahead.
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
My daughter goes to a private school, which we pay for... It's a great school. But I'm also still paying for public school. So basically I'm paying twice for a better education.

Vouchers would be best. People can then choose which school they can take their money. Schools would then compete for that money by offering more/better, etc.

She just got her first standardized testing back. 97th percentile. I'll be keeping her there.

But it's SO MUCH MORE than just the school. Too much blame goes on the school when folks should be looking at home first. School is only part of the equation. Home is the other part. You can't blame the school without also having to blame home too. You can go to the worst school, but with the right about of education at home supplementing it, you can still come out on top.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
^ isn't home school... You are describing online school, there is a big difference.

Home schooling is where the parents are teaching their kids at home. Sometimes online curriculum is used, but it is parent driven, not by a teacher off site.
It was homeschooled--both my parents and a teacher taught me. About 50% of the work was online, but unfortunately because of the online factor, all my work had to be submitted and that's where I had problems.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Doesn't private school get part of their funding from the state?
pk5 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat