mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Here is a shot of the larger of the 2 salmon I got in Pulaski in the fall. This one was 25lbs. Got it on a 6 1/2' ugly stick with 20lb Fire line braid. I worked that pole harder that day than I have any other pole and it held tough. People pick on Ugly Sticks because they are a cheap pole, I would put them against anything in their price category, you won't find a tougher pole for the money, I have seen much more expensive poles not handle such abuse. The hole I pulled these 2 salmon from was about 10' deep and 12' across, a big log jam so i really had to be aggressive with them. I will hopefully be getting a smoker for my 10yr service award at work, I can see a lot of salmon meat being run through that. If you have never had smoked salmon, you're missing out.

This was my first salmon. Caught my first trout this spring, I hope to have a lot of firsts in the next year. Trying to plan a trip to Lake Okachobee in Florida, I want to catch a 10+lb Large mouth so bad, I won't tell you what I would give up to do it.

Last edited by Brewtt; 06-23-2012 at 01:12 PM.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
If you have never had smoked salmon, your missing out.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...8016911jpg.jpg

This was my first salmon. Caught my first trout this spring, I hope to have a lot of firsts in the next year. Trying to plan a trip to Lake Okachobee in Florida, I want to catch a 10+lb Large mouth so bad, I won't tell you what I would give up to do it.
Beautiful fish. And +1 on the smoked salmon. Whenever I catch wind of my dad buying some I always figure I should be a good son and go visit my parents
Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Good lookin' salmon.

I love my ugly sticks as well. I got a 5.5' and a 9'. The 5.5' is made in the USA in the '70s, has a lifetime warranty. It was my father's and I'm gonna keep using it till she breaks... If it ever does.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Go 'Hawks!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Well, apparently I have not noticed this before, but the ole' lady informed me that I am addicted to fishing. I seem to take every opportunity I can to get a line wet, lunch breaks at work, if i drive by what appears to be a public access or just a little money hole.

When i was a boy I fished a lot, usually 3-4 days a week, I got away from it for a few years, chasing girls and whatnot, but the last few years I have been right back at it, with a vengeance. I bought a small boat last year and this year I bought another larger boat.

I think i could fish every day and not grow tired of it. As much as I hate to admit it, I have been thinking about going back to school for Aquaculture, I doubt I will but if i was ever to return to school it would be for Aquaculture, lately I have been studying feeding habits and how to stock and grow large, trophy fish. My next big investment may very well be a piece of land with a pond on it.

Fishing has actually stolen a lot of my paintball playtime the last few years. At least its not heroine.
So that's why you don't play xbox anymore... lol

Victis Honor

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nemo Malus Felix
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Trying salmon and steelhead fishing for the first time this year. No luck yet. Doesn't help that the river is packed and the osprey are hitting the water 60ft from me...

Any tips on jigs/techniques for salmon/steelhead?
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Go 'Hawks!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Trying salmon and steelhead fishing for the first time this year. No luck yet. Doesn't help that the river is packed and the osprey are hitting the water 60ft from me...

Salmon and steelhead, eh? Where are you located?

Victis Honor

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nemo Malus Felix
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm starting to get the bug again. Dipped a line for the first time in 7 years a couple of months ago, really want to try for some of the local stuff, like Barramundi.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I was looking at my poles that I have on my porch earlier before work and said "dang, I sure like Ugly Sticks" I have 4 on the porch, 5 total. The old Diawa Ugly Sticks were great but Shakespeare still does them justice, I don't think they changed much. If that 6.5 footer survived hossing those salmon out of that hole, they should take more abuse that they should ever see. That thing was making noises I never heard a pole make, my buddies were across from me and got scared the pole was gonna blow out and send shrapnel at them. Its still working great. I have 2 5' Ultra light one PC, one 6.5 foot 2pc, one 7.5 foot 2 PC, and an 8' Catfish Ugly stick. My other poles are a Skeet Reese 8' bait caster and a 6.5' St Croix spinner, I forget which model bit it is a killer pole, both are 1pc. My next rod and reel investments will be US made products, I have been on an American made flashing supply kick lately, I am gonna stick with it as much as i can. Ordered more baits from the Anise worm company.

I have been using tungsten weights lately and liking them. I get them through protungsten.com, their prices are the lowest and their service is great. Gotta pick up some terminal tomorrow for certain setups, then hopefully I will be able to get the boat out and do some fishing.

I cut down on the Xbox because summer time arrived and I try to enjoy as Mich of it as i can, they are short in NY. Plus, BF3 has absorbed all my HD space and I can't get the new updates, so F that, I will go fishing.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post

I only have the one salmon fishing experience, and it wasn't so much fishing, it was salmon snagging. Once upon a time you could use weighted treble hooks to snag them and like 10x as many people would do it because it was so easy, but I see why they outlawed it, I am glad i never saw that type of fishing because I would have likely been disgusted, I had fun but snagging them with a single, small hook is difficult and I prefer a bite to a snag plus legally you need to hook them in the mouth. Its pretend fishing, you are really only taking advantage of the high death rate making that type of fishing acceptable. They all will die, so .....

I like the feel of the strike and the fight. I would compare a salmon on your line to you casting and hooking onto a passing train. They are absolute powerhouses, that was the biggest fish I ever caught at 25 lbs, and they grow much larger. I guess in Alaska they push 100lbs or more.

I really want to catch one fair and square. Even with the smaller number of people there for the run, there was still way more people than I like when i fish. I like solitude or just a few friends, or a few people is tolerable. Its hard to relax and enjoy yourself when their is 20 people just whipping lines in the air, you see a tree with what looks like 200 peoples line snagged and broken off in it, idiots running 6-8lb line and crying because people don't rush out of the water and let them reel it in and take up the whole river for half an hour, you need big boy line for salmon, something within 5 lbs of your target fish weight, or more. For snagging I would recommend 30+lb unless you get legal, really heavy wire hooks otherwise your hooks will just blow out. If you bring trout tackle to catch big salmon, prepare to go home sad unless you have an abnormal amount of space to use and a lot of time.

I was not super pleased with my Pulaski trip, it was fun, I enjoyed it, came home with over $200 worth of meat, but it isn't something I would do a lot unless they were biting. When they are spawn running, they don't eat and they are only thinking of one thing. I enjoyed seeing the power of 15-40lb fish running through water where locally, you would be lucky to find a 3lb trout. The power and determination of these fish powering over log jams, and through 1/2 an inch of water to spawn reminded me of watching someone on a dirt bike, attacking the most hardcore hill climb imaginable with no concern for their own safety, just wold, wide open and hanging on for dear life. I will never forget watching them run, that was my favorite part of it.

Last edited by Brewtt; 06-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

I too have been part of the fishing addiction club. I 'wasted' about 4 years of my early 20's attempting to catch fish, specifically Northern Pike. My best fish was a 15 pound pike, which is a really nice sized fish for back home. Never managed once to catch a legal sized trout. Just before I left Canada I fixed up an old aluminum boat. Great times.

Recently did some fishing while down here in Australia. Landed my first Tassie salmon from a dock and caught a few herring. So much easier to fish the ocean... I liked it a lot. Going to have to get some boys together here and charter a boat to try out deep sea fish here.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat