mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Hello, I am addicted to Fishing......

Well, apparently I have not noticed this before, but the ole' lady informed me that I am addicted to fishing. I seem to take every opportunity I can to get a line wet, lunch breaks at work, if i drive by what appears to be a public access or just a little money hole.

When i was a boy I fished a lot, usually 3-4 days a week, I got away from it for a few years, chasing girls and whatnot, but the last few years I have been right back at it, with a vengeance. I bought a small boat last year and this year I bought another larger boat.

I think i could fish every day and not grow tired of it. As much as I hate to admit it, I have been thinking about going back to school for Aquaculture, I doubt I will but if i was ever to return to school it would be for Aquaculture, lately I have been studying feeding habits and how to stock and grow large, trophy fish. My next big investment may very well be a piece of land with a pond on it.

Fishing has actually stolen a lot of my paintball playtime the last few years. At least its not heroine.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I once had a fishing habit. Whored poles and reels like I do guns.
Took me years to get it under control. I now have a stable habit, 6 poles and reels, and about 2k in tackle.
I feel your pain.

5:30 a.m.
6ft 6in St. Croix baitcast rod medium action fast tip
Daiwa baitcast reel
10lb Trilene xl line
3.0 extra wide gap Gamagatsu hook
green/ white laminated 4" Senko
Brass slip sinker
Texas rigged.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto

Last edited by shadawg; 06-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
That's a nice bass for sure.

This is one of the bigger Largies I have caught in a while. It is in a small family pond a friend and i have been working on to grow large bass. It is a small, probably 1.5-2 acre pond. There is some big bass in there.

We have been moving a lot of small bass to a nearby river and soon am stocking a small adjacent pond that is empty with Fathead minnows so they will breed in that pond and i will have a source for live minnows for bait and to feed the bass. I also plan to build some crayfish traps to feed them crayfish from a nearby river that has an insane ankling of crayfish. Once I start feeding them these food sources they should start growing rapidly.

This is the biggest one we have pulled from the pond. They go right back in, the big ones anyways, we want them to get big and fat and be healthy. This one is 5lbs 4oz, quite a hog for such a small pond.

The top one, mine with me pictured, was take on a Buzz Bait and the other one, my good friends hog, was taken on a purple w/ white stripe Anise worm. If you haven't used the Anise worms, I highly recommend them. We got into using them in the fall and have been catching a ton of bass on them, I recommend any of the purple colors, they seem to work best.

I hooked something huge on my lunch break yesterday, thought it was a stock, walked down the bank to get a better angle and that stick ran like a train, peeling drag and swam up a drain pipe. I managed to get it turned back out of the pipe but it then came off, I was bummed. Next time.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Here is a link to the Anise worm site, there is a good local sports shop that carries them so i haven't mail ordered any. I see they have new soft plastics out, I need to try them.

Original Anise Worm from Bass River Outdoors

Best tips I have for Anise worm fishing. Fish it slow and lazy, and don't let it stretch out, store it folded in half and when not in use but on a rod, hook the first hook to the pole and loop the last hook back up and hook it into the tip of the bait to keep it folded. They only cost about $1.60 each, are American made, and are bass catching machines. I need to order some of their new stuff.......now.

I will try to dig up my pictures from my first trip to Pulaski last fall, caught a couple 25lb Salmon, one broke my scale haha.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
my go to plastics are senkos and zoom super salt centipedes. 4" and 5". pumpkin seed junebug and motor oil on the zooms and junebug and green/white laminate on the senkos.

I also like the sliderhead worms for drop shot rigs in very deep clear water.

I tend to run my plastics Texas style, but also I do a modified rig that works pretty good for me.
I run a brass sinker and glass bead on top of the hook like a carolina rig, but I don't peg it or put it on a swivel leader, instead letting it slide freely on the line like a Texas rig.

The clacking of the bead and brass and the action of the worm drives the big boys here crazy and they smash that worm like they're hitting a crank bait.

Quote:
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ah yes... Fishing... I have spent a lot of time with nothing better to do than hang around the water with a fissin' pole.

Those two pictures... That was a great day. There's a bunch more just like that. It's funny I had my paintball jersey on... I was gonna play but then I ended up fishing instead. haaa

There was three of us and we landed 33 lake trout in about 90 minutes. Only kept one 9 pounder, tossed back all the rest... They were too big

edit* That pic with the three fish, that was a triple land'r, all three of us reeled in a fish at the same time.

Biggest one was 22 pounds, smallest was 8, most of them were around 15.

That was from a few years ago, my first red snapper... I got 6 that day. Never cought any before and I havent since. It always seems to be the halibut that takes the bait instead (aaaww shucks )
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Nice trout

Quote:
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I hate you guys...............................

I made the mistake of wanting to teach my kids to fish. They're 5, 10 and 11.
I get to use my rod solely on vacation, and only very early in the morning before they get up, or late at night after they're asleep.

The cost of rearing children precludes any ownership of anything that could be construed as a "fishing" boat, so I rent sometimes. Maybe someday, I'll have me a real Bassboat once again.

I'm happy that they have learned to fish, and share in the joy of my second favorite hobby. They also play Paintball, and share in that joy too.

I guess that this makes me a pretty good Dad.
So, I guess it is worth the sacrifice.

Nice fish you guys!
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fishing from the shore usually makes for a nice day with the family. Most days that's what I do.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I am selling my small boat. You can get a good little fishing boat for $1500 or less, won't be fancy like the pros but you can catch the same fish they would if you know what your doing. I have a 14' Flat bottom boat up for sale, CL is making me mad so it may just go out by the road and come down off CL. I bought a nice, lightly used 18' Pontoon boat this spring, I love it. It is a Fish and Cruise model, it has a fishing pedestal seats on all 4 corners, came with a live well and I converted another storage unit into a 2nd live well. Going camping and fishing next weekend with it again at one of my favorite places, Stillwater Reservoir near Old Forge NY, this time I need to find where the Large mouth are hiding and would love to land a Splake. The Small mouth fishing there is great.

All this fishing talk is making me very anxious to go fishing tomorrow.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat