mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

even if i were filthy rich i would never pay 100+ for a burger, let a lone 5K!

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I would imagine that unless you were a trust fund baby, that you don't come up with a billion dollars by stupidly spending $5000 on a hamburger. Even by any other means, decision making like that won't KEEP you a billionaire for long....

I would be inclined to say it had some value if they donated $4000 to a good charity with every purchase. THAT would make at least a little sense.
I think the math comes out to one of these a day for 547 years equals one billion dollars. $5k shows up in effortless capital gains in no time for someone with that kind of money. They would need to carelessly spend millions on a regular basis to even feel it.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Wagyu makes Kobe seem like Black Angus. It is the unobtanium of beef; and a HELL of a better deal than the Palm's Carl's Jr burger.

I am by no means able to purchase such a thing; but I can see its purpose. I do not agree that such purchases are meant for those that have no respect for money. As a matter of fact, I belive the total opposite. I believe these types of thongs are what drive many to accomplish their goals in an attempt to afford such royalties.

I was recently watching an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars"; and in that episode, Christies was planning on selling an Auto Union race car. The car was expected to become the world's most expensive automobile.
In the show, they interviewed a wealthy gentleman well known for a very large collection on exotic automobiles. When speaking about the Auto Union and its expected price, he said that the person that buys the automobile will not sell the farm to buy the car. That the type of person that buys such cars will continue to live the same quality of life prior to buying the car.
To me, it speaks volumes about those that have such lavish lives. I won't begin to get into how that money was made; but as the saying goes, to the victor go the spoils, and they have earned it. Good for them.

If I had it, I would be eating me $5,000 hamburger while I type this.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

The rich who stay rich (and don't bounce in and then back out of the "lists") generally avoid disgusting displays of wealth such as this. They may have their "pets" but its generally not $5K burgers

This is just preying on stupidity. Someone wins in Vegas and is convinced to spend it before going home.

A car is fundamentally different than a burger that is consumed and digested.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seattle Sonics 4 lyfe.

let the ballers ball out !

feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
IcyKoolAid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Vacations, dinning out with the one you love, wine, expensive weddings, cars, paintball guns, hamburgers.

These things are like sins, judging them on merit is as futile as the subject itself.

And what fundamental makes them different? That you keep the car? That guy also mentioned how bad of an idea it is to purchase automobiles for the investment. Watching an episode of Barret Jackson will confirm that, no doubt. At least the burger gets to be enjoyed for what it is.

And in the end, I will agree 100% that the burger is consumed more than likely by someone that made a little cash gambling. If so, good for him! Other than those guys and gals that attempt to make a living as a professional poker player, I'd bet most that come to visit the strip are there for the experience. Anyone that takes a vacation to Vegas hoping to supplement their income playing slots isn't living right.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
Wagyu makes Kobe seem like Black Angus.
Kobe is Wagyu.

Wagyu is just a type of cattle. Kobe beef is a trademark of a Japanese company and, when enforced properly, means that the beef is from a particular breed of Wagyu (Tajima-ushi) cattle that has been raised, fed, butchered and processed in a particular way in a particular place.

Think of it as the champagne of beef. The name is frequently applied incorrectly (accidentally or on purpose) in places where the Japanese enforcement of their trademark is absent.

Real Kobe beef isn't frozen, is rarely shipped outside of Japan and can't currently be legally imported to the United States. 99.9% (that's hyperbole on my part, but you get the idea) of the "Kobe" beef in the US... isn't.

Forbes has a pretty good article about it: Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie - Forbes
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
Vacations, dinning out with the one you love, wine, expensive weddings, cars, paintball guns, hamburgers.

These things are like sins, judging them on merit is as futile as the subject itself.

And what fundamental makes them different? That you keep the car? That guy also mentioned how bad of an idea it is to purchase automobiles for the investment. Watching an episode of Barret Jackson will confirm that, no doubt. At least the burger gets to be enjoyed for what it is.

And in the end, I will agree 100% that the burger is consumed more than likely by someone that made a little cash gambling. If so, good for him! Other than those guys and gals that attempt to make a living as a professional poker player, I'd bet most that come to visit the strip are there for the experience. Anyone that takes a vacation to Vegas hoping to supplement their income playing slots isn't living right.
The fundamental difference is the car retains value. It is clearly, and fundamentally different. Buy a car at Jackson Barrett and decide you do not want it after a year and you are likely to get back 90-110% of what you paid for it (minus brokerage fees). This is not considering it as an investment.

You are right that it is impossible to judge on its merit. Personally I think conspicous consumption is a problem (and that applies to cars as well). However its hard to define exactly what is conspicous consumption. How much use do I have to justify of a purchase to avoid the tag?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

This whole conversation is starting to feel a lot like this comic:

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
How much use do I have to justify of a purchase to avoid the tag?
More use than most MCBers get out of the bulk of their paintball guns.
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
John Satclaire is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat