mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
Kobe is Wagyu.

Wagyu is just a type of cattle. Kobe beef is a trademark of a Japanese company and, when enforced properly, means that the beef is from a particular breed of Wagyu (Tajima-ushi) cattle that has been raised, fed, butchered and processed in a particular way in a particular place.

Think of it as the champagne of beef. The name is frequently applied incorrectly (accidentally or on purpose) in places where the Japanese enforcement of their trademark is absent.

Real Kobe beef isn't frozen, is rarely shipped outside of Japan and can't currently be legally imported to the United States. 99.9% (that's hyperbole on my part, but you get the idea) of the "Kobe" beef in the US... isn't.

Forbes has a pretty good article about it: Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie - Forbes
Wow, that article pretty much takes the wind right out of this burgers sails. I know 2 different people that claim they had Kobe beef in the last year. One in Vegas, one in New York. They might be a bit dissapointed next time I see them.
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Kobe is Wagyu.

Wagyu is just a type of cattle. Kobe beef is a trademark of a Japanese company and, when enforced properly, means that the beef is from a particular breed of Wagyu (Tajima-ushi) cattle that has been raised, fed, butchered and processed in a particular way in a particular place.

Think of it as the champagne of beef. The name is frequently applied incorrectly (accidentally or on purpose) in places where the Japanese enforcement of their trademark is absent.

Real Kobe beef isn't frozen, is rarely shipped outside of Japan and can't currently be legally imported to the United States. 99.9% (that's hyperbole on my part, but you get the idea) of the "Kobe" beef in the US... isn't.

Forbes has a pretty good article about it: Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie - Forbes

I was speaking of the Japanese/American crossbreeds which are typically known as Kobe here in the states. Kobe is a term which, as your article states, gets thrown around. You can slap that name on anything; but not the breed.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kobe or not, does it really taste so much better? I doubt it. it's not even made of gold, like that $5k chocolate dessert in NY. Even if I were super rich, an expenditure like this is irresponsible. How many people can eat for the first time in days with that $5k? With great power comes great responsibility. Maybe this comes from being a teacher where I commonly see kids whose only meal comes from school, who starve over the weekend, and hate winter break.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

I guess my argument for that is "where do you draw the line?"

Couldn't you make a pretty strong argument that spending thousands of dollars a year to shoot other people (who are also spending money) with dye filled gelatin capsules is irresponsible? That you could spend that money helping the homeless, or the elderly or another worthwhile cause?

Is it strictly a matter of scale? What about someone like Bill Gates who has given literally billions of dollars to charity? Is he allowed to buy this burger judgment free? Or should it have been billions + $5k?
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
NBA/NFL/NHL aficionado

Location: Either Arizona State University or Laguna Beach, CA

Brass N Wood Fan
Unless it's made from fresh Tasmanian Tiger meat, I will never pay $5,000 for a cheeseburger.

Unless, you know, I win the lottery or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Chug some V8, then chug a little Tabasco and take a shot of vodka and you've got a ceaser. Take anything after a PBR, and all you've got is some nasty-*** PBR and whatever else you drank.
Cheers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I guess my argument for that is "where do you draw the line?"

Couldn't you make a pretty strong argument that spending thousands of dollars a year to shoot other people (who are also spending money) with dye filled gelatin capsules is irresponsible? That you could spend that money helping the homeless, or the elderly or another worthwhile cause?

Is it strictly a matter of scale? What about someone like Bill Gates who has given literally billions of dollars to charity? Is he allowed to buy this burger judgment free? Or should it have been billions + $5k?
The line is the difference between extravagance and viable substitutes. There are plenty really good burgers to be had at $10 or less. I'd have a hard time justifying $20+ and the cost/benefit ratio goes way down personally. For paintball, most of us here play at the norm or less cost wise. Again, if we blew $500,000 on a shiny brand new pe ego (the same markup percent as a $10 burger to the 5k one), then we would have easily crossed the line.

And I would expect more from Gates if he indulged in that burger. I don't think he is the kind of person that would.

Do you spend thousands a year on Paintball? Lucky. Over the course of fourteen+ years I've spent maybe $2-2.5K total.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
The line is the difference between extravagance and viable substitutes. There are plenty really good burgers to be had at $10 or less. I'd have a hard time justifying $20+ and the cost/benefit ratio goes way down personally. For paintball, most of us here play at the norm or less cost wise. Again, if we blew $500,000 on a shiny brand new pe ego (the same markup percent as a $10 burger to the 5k one), then we would have easily crossed the line.

And I would expect more from Gates if he indulged in that burger. I don't think he is the kind of person that would.

Do you spend thousands a year on Paintball? Lucky. Over the course of fourteen+ years I've spent maybe $2-2.5K total.
There is a good argument for "where do you draw the line". We could subside on a food budget FAR cheaper than most of us have (rice and beans) and yet we spend a lot of money. Do you eat steak for the nutrients in it or because you enjoy it? The nutritional value could likely be had with cheaper ingredients. Your cost to benefit ratio is going to be different than others and trying to justify what others do runs dangerously towards utilitarian arguments (which I am apprehensive of).

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Your cost to benefit ratio is going to be different than others and trying to justify what others do runs dangerously towards utilitarian arguments (which I am apprehensive of).
I think Lohman has done a better job of explaining my issue with the stance that this burger is bad based strictly on cost.

I think it's perfectly fair to say "to me that would be a waste, and it isn't money I'd spend that way."

I don't think it's fair to say "anyone who buys this is wasting money and should feel bad that they didn't spend it on a better cause."

And yes, I'd estimate that I play about 3 times a month, and each time I spend around $50 combined on entry and paint, gas to get there and a gatorade or two. Throw in parts, gear and the occasional splurge on a marker, mask or other more expensive item and I'm easily in the 2K+ a year range.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Kobe or not, does it really taste so much better?
No. The big point of kobe beef is that the fat is marbalized into the muscle, making the meat tender and sweet. When you grind up beef to make a burger, all that time and effort that went into making that meat is lost. Cheap beef will get it's gristle mixed in with the meat the same. The reason why some more expensive burgers don't taste as good, IMO, is because some of the more expensive cuts are much leaner. With less fat, you get less of that flavor.

It's like making the ultimate off road truck using a Bugatti Veyron as the base. Sure, it's going to be crazy expensive, get a lot of looks, and give you bragging rights, but it's not going to be as capable as an off road truck made from a Hummer H1.

Big difference in using the most expensive/exclusive ingredients, rather than the best ingredients. Rich people who got their wealth by working for it will generally choose the latter. People who got rich by luck(lotto winnings, inheritence, idiot famous people) will choose the former.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

This thread does provide a valuable lesson, thanks to the earlier Forbes link: better off to spend that five grand on a flight to Tokyo, and eat some real Kobe... not to mention, Tokyo is way more interesting than Las Vegas
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat