mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thinking about all of this earlier today. To be realistic, I wouldn't be surprised to find out not a single one of these have sold or will be sold any time soon. Anyone here old enough to remember Phoenix Gold and their $99,000 amps? Does Hooters actually keep a botle of Dom in the event someone wants to wash down 20 wings with a bottle of champagne? Although the latter I'm sure has been done; these things are more for the publicity than anything else.

Hell, look what this stupid *** burger has done to this site.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
No. The big point of kobe beef is that the fat is marbalized into the muscle, making the meat tender and sweet. When you grind up beef to make a burger, all that time and effort that went into making that meat is lost. Cheap beef will get it's gristle mixed in with the meat the same. The reason why some more expensive burgers don't taste as good, IMO, is because some of the more expensive cuts are much leaner. With less fat, you get less of that flavor.

It's like making the ultimate off road truck using a Bugatti Veyron as the base. Sure, it's going to be crazy expensive, get a lot of looks, and give you bragging rights, but it's not going to be as capable as an off road truck made from a Hummer H1.

Big difference in using the most expensive/exclusive ingredients, rather than the best ingredients. Rich people who got their wealth by working for it will generally choose the latter. People who got rich by luck(lotto winnings, inheritence, idiot famous people) will choose the former.
Burgers arent just all about the flavour. There's texture too which yes, can be preserved after the grinding process. Theres a reason why more "gourmet" burgers will have thicker patties. Its so it isnt cooked all the way through allowing the meat to keep its tenderness.
And also, less fat does not mean less flavour. In fact it is arguably the opposite. That meaty flavour you get from beef comes from where exactly its name comes from, the meat. Just like how the meaty flavour you get from beef stock isnt from all that fat they used, its from the meat.

Also, just because one works hard and gets rich does not mean they will not spend on lavish things or will choose the "best ingredients". I know many people who have worked extremely hard and have become very wealthy as a result. Trust me, they dont always spend on what is the what is "best".
And sometimes there are no one set of "best" ingredients. What is "best" is subjective to each person. Ultimately, imo, the "best ingredients" are what will make each person most happy or satisfied with what they are eating. If the most expensive ingredients help one feel the most satisfied/happy with their food, who is to say that for them, it isnt the best ingredient? People will lavishly spend $1000s on expensive ingredients just as people will lavishly spend $1000s on paintball markers.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #33 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
Burgers arent just all about the flavour. There's texture too which yes, can be preserved after the grinding process. Theres a reason why more "gourmet" burgers will have thicker patties. Its so it isnt cooked all the way through allowing the meat to keep its tenderness.
And also, less fat does not mean less flavour. In fact it is arguably the opposite. That meaty flavour you get from beef comes from where exactly its name comes from, the meat. Just like how the meaty flavour you get from beef stock isnt from all that fat they used, its from the meat.
Beef stock has very little to do with meat.
Also, science of meat
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
Does Hooters actually keep a botle of Dom in the event someone wants to wash down 20 wings with a bottle of champagne?
Sorry to go off topic but my little sister wanted a bottle of dom for her graduation or any such event. I got a label online and changed it to "Dan perignon", printed it and fixed it to a bottle of cheaper champagne with some double sided tape. She was thrilled to recieve it for her wedding. I still have some spare labels somewhere...

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
can't say about the beef stock part but I work with some cattle farmers one of which raises some of the best beef I've ever had and from listening to their grilling exploits they would disagree with that whole heartedly. The fat helps keep it tender and does lend a lot to the flavor.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
Beef stock has very little to do with meat.
Also, science of meat
Doh! You're right. That was a bad example. Beef stock really doesnt have much meat in it! hahahaha
Better example would be those delicious drippings you get when u make an awesome prime rib roast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Obeastly View Post
can't say about the beef stock part but I work with some cattle farmers one of which raises some of the best beef I've ever had and from listening to their grilling exploits they would disagree with that whole heartedly. The fat helps keep it tender and does lend a lot to the flavor.
yea. i kinda crossed the line when i said that. Fat definitely contributes greatly to the tenderness and the flavour. I just dont believe necessarily that less fat always means less flavour.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
...because it's asinine and you could build a hospital in a third world country for what you would have spent on that ridiculous burger?
What about the people spending thousands on some of the high end markers, collector pieces, limited runs, etc? What about putting money away for the future (that you might not make it to) when there are millions suffering in the present in some third world country who need that hospital?

I still think buying a burger for $5K is stupidity at its finest. However I also understand (it had to be pointed out to me) its not my place to judge those who do it.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 07-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
What about the people spending thousands on some of the high end markers, collector pieces, limited runs, etc?
What about people who spend money on paintball period?

How many PGPs do you think it would take to have enough brass and such to make a water pump that would keep a third world village alive? Not only are you Not spending your money helping others live a better life, but you're also hoarding resources that could be put to far better use!

Shame on you all for not working your butts off so you can devote 90+% of your income and efforts to helping other people!
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

All's well. Good to know what people's opinions are on such things. Everyone has a right to theirs, and I can absolutely respect that.

But we need a subject change...

If Jesus could turn water into wine; imagine what he could do with this $5000 hamburger!!!!
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
All's well. Good to know what people's opinions are on such things. Everyone has a right to theirs, and I can absolutely respect that.

But we need a subject change...

If Jesus could turn water into wine; imagine what he could do with this $5000 hamburger!!!!
It isn't his water and wine bit that would fit here. Didn't that dude have some cool party trick with loaves of bread and fish?
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat