mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Vette Question

Hi everyone

I am considering a classic Vette as in 1985 kind of vette in good working condition.

Does anyone here drive a classic vette and if you do what is your experience with a classic vette?

I don't think they ever come in V6, so i am not expecting miracle gas milage out one.

Thanks
pk5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Legendary

The C4 (1983-199x) corvettes were redesigned to be significantly less horrible than the C3 counterparts. Specifically, you won't have any Crossfire Injection like I have with my 1982. The downside is the beautiful Bill Mitchell voluptuous body style has been replaced with a cheese wedge.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Do you have a particular car that you are currently looking at? The fit and finish on those cars, especially for its age, won't be pleasant if you are used to driving newer (post 2000) vehicles. They can be rough riding ( by most automobile's standards) and the squeeks and rattles you will hear resulting from the rough(er) ride can make the experience below what you might have expected.

If you are looking into a C4, I would strongly suggest looking into the L98 or LT1 years (87 maybe and up), as the throttle body years of the C4 are dogs. Parts are still available for the TPI cars (common 1st gen roller block), and the LT1's optispark has its known problems (which are now completely curable if you are willing to spend the money).
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I don't have a particular car that I am looking at. My younger brother is getting his license soon and within a year or two I am going to hand my Tacoma over to him. I just want a mid life crisis car before I hit mid life crisis. Mostly I am looking for older muscle car that are at least some what fun to drive and not too rough. I don't mind the squeak and rattles as long as they don't have known major issues.

What about this vette?
Corvette 1999
BLUE 1973 CORVETTE ROARING 350 TTOP 4SPEED NEW PAINT, NEW BRAKES ETC
pk5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Personal preferences for me lie with the C5's and up. They look much better, imho; the LS1 is a much more efficient engine (parts will typically be more expensive to replace, though), and all around is a much better built automobile. Plus it has balsa wood floors; who else has that?!?

Fo s&g's, go give that car a test drive. It won't take long for you to know if a Corvette is what you are looking for. Even better, test drive a high milage one if you can find one. That would give you a better idea of how they hold up over the long haul.

That particular one you posted looks awesome; though I wonder why the interior change. More than likely it is a sign of good things; as anything Corvette related isn't cheap (check out Mid America's prices on replacement leather seats, damn!), and it appears the owner was willing to throw down good money to keep the car in good shape.

Cars are absolutely cheap in California. It's rediculous.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just seen the '73. That's not a bad deal if the drivetrain is in good shape and ALL of the parts are there to bring the car into 100% condition. If you are serious about that one, ask the guy if he minds you sitting in the car to check for t-tops leaks while he douses the roof with a water hose. It might be a strange request; but it would suck royaly if you were to use this as a daily driver and had to drive it during the rainy season with a leaky top.

C3's look soooo boss with the chrome bumpers. That disco-era plastic bumper crap in the later years takes a certain kind of man to appreciate; and I am most certainly not that man. To each their own, I guess...
Old 07-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Woohoo! Another Vette enthusiast. I own a 1984 vette and it's ran great with 157k on the clock. The good thing about the 85 vette is you have tuned port injection as opposed to the earlier, vastly inferior induction systems offered on prior vette's. You can also expect 17 city mpg and 27 highway mpg which is pretty dang good for a 5.7L 350. In addition, if you are a mechanic these cars are super easy to work on. Nothing complicated at all. One thing to consider is that any C4 Vette is worth very little. My 1984 vette in great shape is probably worth $4-5k. The 85 due to the better engine, is worth slightly more than that.

Hope that helps!
Nbanwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

17/27 is better than my Old Blazer with the 4.3l.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
If you are getting a c4, paint it white with a red stripe.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

-You play on a Paintball team?
-Yes, the A-Team
-You do? What's the name of the team?
-A-team
-I get that. What's the name of the team?
-A-Team
-Whatever, douche... Nice Vette.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat