mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Any Doctors here? Mind helping?

My gandmother, who is strong as an ox has recently come down with lime disease. Shes getting over it now, but she is still very weak and has now started to have about 5-10 minutes of paralysis on occasion. She just...turns off, shes still there, the lights are on but the door is locked and no one is home in her head for about five minutes. Today she left the house with us because she was getting stir crazy and going into a resteraunt she tried to grab a rail through the glass about five times, and I could tell her depth perception just failed, we got her inside and she grabbed that rail and blanked out for the second time. It took us 5 minutes to pry her loose from the rail and get her sat down.

Anyways, help if you can, She's been to the hospital multiple times and they havent done anything since she was released for the lime disease.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
Lime disease is not something that just goes away, despite what the doctors say. It can come back in waves months after it has been treated. I know two people that got it and one was almost completley imobile for 4-6 months afterwards and felt like he was dying. The other is a guy I work with and he is still continuously exhausted and has no energy. He was treated springtime last year and is still dealing with it. I don't recall hearing about the symptoms you mentioned, but it could affect people differently based on any number of factors. Best of wishes to your Grandma!
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Its a sport of honor.

I am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

All kidding aside, I have some medical background, but I am not a doctor.

The CDC has some good information on this.

However mainstream medicine has a dim view on "long term Lyme Syndrome," the CDC thinks there is something there. The more educated you are on this the more information you can give to her doctors and nurses so they can provide a good treatment program for her.

CDC - Lyme Disease Home Page

Deputy Sheriff/Death Investigator.
My day begins when yours ends.
Fridaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pump player

CCM Fan
has she been given medication at all? I contracted lyme disease when i was a kid from when a tick got my foot down at my cottage. I just remember feeling like **** and I was given medication by the doctor and after taking it every day for a few weeks I was better. I do know the doctor out in the small town knew exactly what to do but when we got back into the city and I went to my family doctor she had no idea how to treat it. Good thing I already had medication for it. I hope your gma is alright though my friend

Featuring Death!!
MY FEEDBACK
MY YOUTUBE

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Could it be something unrelated to the Lyme Disease?

I definitely hope this isn't the case, but the symptoms you describe sound very similar to what my Grandfather experienced in the months leading up to his diagnoses of Alzheimers.

Best wishes to her and you.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
Could it be something unrelated to the Lyme Disease?

I definitely hope this isn't the case, but the symptoms you describe sound very similar to what my Grandfather experienced in the months leading up to his diagnoses of Alzheimers.

Best wishes to her and you.
I didnt want to bring up Alzheimers as my dad lost his father to that, and I dont think he'd do well even thinking it might take his mother too but that did cross my mind just from the fact she stopped responding, but was clearly there, its like she forgot how to speak for a moment.

I should also note that this woman is 85 and has suffered a minor stroke before which left her with an inability to speak for about a week, but she didnt show any of the signs prior or afterwords.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

The "turn off" thing for about 5-10 minutes sounds like a seizure. I am not a doctor, just a paramedic. However I have seen what you are describing before.

Does she do weird things during that time? Like stare off into the distance? Do random activities with her mouth or hands for no reason? Does she remember anything before?

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat