mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Cancer is so cruel

My next door neighbor, a guy I played my first paintball tournament with, lost his wife to cancer on Sunday. It spread throughout her abdomen, in at least three organs. It looked like she was going to recover, I've seen her jogging with her toddler in a stroller around the neighborhood recently. Then, unexpectedly, the cancer ended her life. It's so surreal, as I am sure some of you can empathize. The worst of it, she was only 34! She had two small boys, 9 and 2. The youngest will grow up never remembering her warm embrace.

At times like these, I am reminded of a cartoon episode of Batman I saw as a child. I can't remember the villain, though I think batman was involved with his daughter? The setting was a cave with lava (it has been a while, but maybe one of you can help me remember). Anyway, he asked Batman a question, what is the most fair and yet unfair thing in the world? The answer is death. It is unfair, because young mothers, good people die young, while many evil and cruel people live a long time. Yet it is fair because it happens to everyone.

If you would like to help the family, I'm not asking for money, but go ahead and buy some of my neighbor's gear. I thank those of you that have already helped, like Blackrain (even though it was all in dollar coins ). Name a reasonable price and it is yours.

How have you guys dealt with loss? I can't image living without my wife.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Made To

CCM Fan
Wow man that's horrible and I just saw your post the other. Day where you mentioned she may pull through.

My mom had breast cancer and thankfully beat it. Now my mother in law is going through treatment for lung cancer. Her prognosis is not as great as my moms was but hopefully will be able to be around for a little while.

My heart goes out to those boys and your friend. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Boston Creepers
MCB Feedback
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

When it rains it pours, right? My mother is battling skin cancer, of which her father died from it. I have lots to look forward to in the future.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

I am very sorry for your friend, and for you. My heart and prayers go out to you guys and everyone impacted. Back in 2009, my aunt and mother of 1 mildly autistic boy (my cousin) passed away from breast cancer. She had been battling it for years and finally passed. It was tough, for a year I cried when I thought of her, she was very close to me. For that whole year I listened to the song "sissy's song" by Alan Jackson as a way of coping I guess. Cried every time I listened to it, too.

I remember I drove myself to the funeral service. I was so torn I couldn't stay and I had to leave, my uncle understood. I drove home, didn't stop crying the whole day. Sat in my office, closed the door and I sat there for hours looking at old pictures, trying to find the ones I had of my aunt. I must have spent 4 hours doing it. Then I scanned them all and made a big album with them all.

I also had my grandmother (mom's mom) pass of esophagus cancer when I was very little. And my dad's mom pass of the same cancer as well when I was even younger. (Both had been heavy smokers).

Here is the song:

Sissy's Song by Alan Jackson

Why did she have to go
So young I just don't know why
Things happen half the time
Without reason without rhyme
Lovely, sweet young woman
Daughter, wife and mother
Makes no sense to me
I just have to believe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

Loved ones she left behind
Just trying to survive
And understand the why
Feeling so lost inside
Anger shot straight at God
Then asking for His love
Empty with disbelief
Just hoping that maybe

And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
Don't worry 'bout me

It's hard to say goodbye
Her picture in my mind
Will always be of times I'll cherish
And I won't cry 'cause

And she walks with jesus and her loved ones waiting
Don't worry 'bout me
Don't worry 'bout me
Don`t worry 'bout me

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I'm sorry for your loss. Cancer has not, as of yet, played a heavy role in my life, but just recently I lost a good friend to heart disease. She was thirty something, and left behind a husband and two young children. It was sudden.

As an aside, this ie probably the batman villain you remember: Ra's al Ghul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Cancer has not, as of yet, played a heavy role in my life, but just recently I lost a good friend to heart disease. She was thirty something, and left behind a husband and two young children. It was sudden.

As an aside, this ie probably the batman villain you remember: Ra's al Ghul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you are right, and I never realized it was Liam Neeson's character.

My grandmother passed away last year, and although it was expected that she would pass soon, I remember walking out the door, just three days before, and saying bye, but not giving her a hug. Eats me alive. Always give hugs, guys.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat