mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Before paintball...Wax Bullet duels!

I'd imagine that today's technology would allow this to be a bit safer with kevlar and other protective devices. I'd honestly say this would probably be an "extreme" sport, the next step up from paintball, borderline lethal ammo duels.

Quote:
Before there was paintball (which wasn't around until the 1980s), there was the much more painful game of wax bullet dueling! In the early 1900s, those who pined for the days of real duels decided to keep the practice alive, and this was their solution.
Wax bullet dueling started in Paris as a form of simulation training, then came to the States as a recreational sport, where the "bloodless duel" seemed to have established itself in New York City with the help of the Carnegie Sword and Pistol Club and the New York Athletic Club.
Photos: New Yorkers Shot Each Other With Wax Bullets In the Early 1900s: Gothamist

Thoughts?
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Possible Gun Whore

very Kool...have you tried it or just read about it???
need4reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

The missing link of paintball evolution is found!

Look here for some past talk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
A KL is like a samurai sword and should reflect the soul of the owner.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post160057 MY FEEDBACK
skipjack289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

The second gun I bought was a Tippy A5 from a kid in southern Indiana. He shows up with his dad; who explains to me a scenario training session at Fort Know that he helps participate in and also maintains the guns for them (mainly Tippy Carbines).

He said that they use a non-lethal ammo similar to soap. He shows me all these HUGE welts on his arms, nasty!
Anyone is able to watch the scenarios at any time; and may participate after a briefing, always as the insurgent or enemy to the Army personnel that are actually being trained. As the man explained, the most important safety issue is aiming for a soldier's face; as they do not wear goggles or masks.

When I asked him why the hell whould they not use paintballs, he said that the maintainance it would take to clean the clothes is the biggest reason.

I never did go down there. I was already a bit worried about how the paintballs would feel.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

We used to play "One Pump".
It's like paintball except we wore safety glasses liberated from 7th grade Woodshop class, a Levi's jacket, and .177 caliber air rifles, limited to one pump, hence the name.

Ahh, the innocence of 1972. Sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous...
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

You guys wore safety glasses for that?

I always wondered what the smart kids did for fun.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
You know, that is how Brandon Lee died, with a wax bullet...
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

No, Brandon Lee died when a bullet was left in the barrel from a dummy cartridge. When they later shot the gun with a blank, and failed to check for barrel obstruction, it fired the bullet.

Last edited by russc; 07-18-2012 at 03:13 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
No, Brandon Lee died when a bullet was left in the barrel from a dummy cartridge. When they later shot the gun with a blank, and failed to check for barrel obstruction, it fired the bullet.
I always thought it was a "fragment" either way imo its still shady as hell and I don't buy the story that was sold.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
The way that I head it, Brandon and some others were hanging out, after shooting or between shots, and decided to play Russian Roulette with a blank and a revolver. When it came Brandon's turn, he got it. I guess they thought that since it was a blank, nothing would happen. But, it turns out that there is wax in there, to keep the powder from spilling out. Normally, at least with the wax that is used, it dissipates around 10 feet from the muzzle. But at point blank range, it will still come out at close to the velocity of a normal bullet, and with all of the mass, albeit a bit lighter. So that is the way that I heard it.

But it seems, from looking at a couple of places, it was a fragment of an actual round, or the bullet itself, that was in the barrel, so when the blank was shot, the actual fragment, or bullet, was shot out, although not at the same velocity of a normal round would have been. Enough to actually do the damage that it did. Brandon was 12 feet away from the actor that shot him.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat