mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I LOVE MXV4's have run them on a bunch of cars and if you rotate, and keep them balanced, they will last (I got 100,000 on multiple sets on my Acura TL).

Shop around, and lay your prices on the table when you go to the next place... Often they will check and beat those prices, then keep going. Take them to the place you want to buy them from last, and often they will match or beat the best price you got...

Footwork pays off, I bought some Toyos for my MDX recently, and ended up saving $55 per tire just by price checking and straight up telling them the price to beat was "X" at each store.

They threw in lifetime balance and rotation too.

I've had good luck with used tires too if you are willing to work for them. One of the sets of MXV4's I had I got 3 used for $65 total! (retail was $265 per tire) I purchased ONE extra and had a full set for less than $330, which lasted 85,000 miles.

Yeah, I drive a ton.

I haven't been impressed with goodyear, they wore fast, and didn't have a very good ride.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
I'm gonna make myself a little unpopular with this but...

Downsize your rim. Consider 18's. Better mileage, much cheaper. Still plenty big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Got a $ 750 out the door quote on Hankook V12 Evo but never heard of them. Or 800 out the door for some Goodyears. I want a good traction tire, don't want to break the bank but don't want to buy again in a year.

Falkens are best priced $600.00but bad reviews at discount tires website.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cheffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Got a $ 750 out the door quote on Hankook V12 Evo but never heard of them. Or 800 out the door for some Goodyears. I want a good traction tire, don't want to break the bank but don't want to buy again in a year.

Falkens are best priced $600.00but bad reviews at discount tires website.
A lot of the guys in the e46 online community (1999-2005 3-series BMW's) swear by the Hankook V12's. Take a good look at them.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
chances are if you haven't heard of the company that makes it, they aren't that good.
better chances are that you haven't heard of a lot of good tire brands

If you're on a budget, I would suggest going with either Falkens or Coopers. Both will be high quality tires, from good companies.

Reading those reviews on Discount Tire just makes me laugh. Some people complain they got low millage, others show fairly high millage. Some complain about the noise, some praise the lack of noise... Just goes to show how useless tire reviews can be. There's way too many variables involved. My recommendation is to go to a local shop and ask for their opinions, and what they offer.

As long as you stay away from Chinese brand tires, you should be ok. Tires made in China are fine but only as long as they are made by non-Chinese companies.

Falkens are generally made in Japan, and Coopers are generally made in the US (though some of their lower end, and offshoot brands are made in China).
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I bought a set of Firestone Destinations almost eight months ago and have to replace them already due to wear...mind you these are on a truck, but they were never spun. Never going to buy firestope again
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Hankooks are a decent tire DSA, but they are considered a second tier manufacturer.

Yokohammas are a good tire. Bridgestone, a good tire. Head for zee hills on those Goodyears...

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
I bought a set of Firestone Destinations almost eight months ago and have to replace them already due to wear...mind you these are on a truck, but they were never spun. Never going to buy firestope again

Where was the wear?

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

I'd add that Goodyear owns Dunlop, and I've heard bad things about them as well.

www.DeltaSquad.info & Facebook

Trying to register on automags.org? PM 'Beemer' here to get you set up.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I got some CS4 touring tires from Cooper, I like them so far and did great on a heavy rain.
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat