mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Tire purchase tips? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/208432-tire-purchase-tips.html)

DSA 07-17-2012 11:06 PM

Tire purchase tips?

Its that time once again, lookin for some 245/45 R 20, for my 2009 Dodge Challenger. Any tire buying tips?

:bowdown

Pump_Action_Prophet 07-18-2012 12:04 AM

I used to keep the factory tires on the stock rims for road trips.

Around town I had a set of aftermarket rims and used to run around with a good set of tires on the front and a set of used tires on the rear as they did'nt last long. :p

crazyorigin 07-18-2012 12:14 AM

Don't buy cheap tires.

What type of driving do you do with it and how long do you want the tires to last?

My best advice is to get good tires, brands don't matter much as long as its a good brand, chances are if you haven't heard of the company that makes it, they aren't that good. Bit in a 20" tire, you don't really have too many crappy tires to choose from.

If it is a daily driver I would go with a good all season or aqua tread. If you like to drive aggressively and don't mind them wearing fast, go with more of a race tire but unless you really push it hard, most any all season tire should be plenty.

Sorry for such vague advice:p

Pump_Action_Prophet 07-18-2012 12:28 AM

I guess I was kinda vague with the brand of the tires due to the fact it's a bastard size tire...

I actually ran 245/35/z20's just because I had a good source of them, Federal 595's. Nice quality tire but they're heavy.

Check out Yokohama. Probably your best bet to find a tire you like.

shadawg 07-18-2012 01:39 AM

what kind of tips are you looking for DSA?
Look at your current tires if they are factory equipment, or look in your cars manual.
Make sure your new tires meet the cars tire speed rating.
don't buy from a chain, try a mom and pop if you can. mom and pops usually have better flexibility on pricing.
I am biased as hell, having been a tire salesman in another life. Give wide wide berth to Goodyear, equally wide berth to BF Goodrich.
Goodyear IMHO uses an inferior rubber compound more prone to dry rot and premature wear.
BF Goodrich tires are sold like Rolexs. They never go on sale and are priced at a premium. Unlike a Rolex, they are no more superior than your average tire, and are also IMHO a softer rubber compound and prone to premature wear.
I worked for Firestone for a number of years before managing a tire business for a short time. I have always liked Bridgestone/Firestone performance tires, Michelin, and Dunlop, with Kelly, Cooper, and Hoosier rounding out my choices. Bridgestone/FS and Michelin I like on equal footing. The Bridgestone Potenzas are very good tires. Dunlop are just slightly less preferred in terms of performance but are often more competitively priced than Bridgestone and Michelin.

Give me a shout if you have any other questions.

jhyan 07-18-2012 02:37 AM

You prolly don't get much snow, but for an all season I like Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I had them on my G35, and now I have them on my BMW 3-series.

p8ntninja 07-18-2012 02:58 AM

I'm in the same boat currently have some Yokohama's but am looking real hard at the Hankook Dyna Pro line right now. Anyone have insight on good tall terrain tires that wont break the bank? Thanks and not trying to hijack your thread, just looking for advice like you.

shadawg 07-18-2012 03:01 AM

Dunlop radial rovers are excellent off road tires.
I've also had good experience with pro comps from quadratech.

Zoo 07-18-2012 08:07 AM

I manage a car repair shop and have always recommended Cooper and Yokohama. Very good bang for your buck. Checking Tire Rack for your size, it is indeed very limited. Out of those listed I would check out (in this order):
Yokohama AVID ENVigor (my first recommendation)
Michelin Primacy MXV4 (pricier but is a great tire)
Cooper Zeon RS3-A (good value)
General G-MAX AS-03 (good value)

mtaylor 07-18-2012 02:16 PM

I like Hankook tires, Tirerack has the Ventus V12 Evo in your size. Good price, and I had those same tires with no complaints.