mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via ICQ to Sojourner

Question Pellet gun questions

I am considering the purchase of a pellet gun, I am mainly looking at the spring and pump operated variety.

Can anyone offer advise on caliber selection and max velocity for the best balance of take down power and accuracy?

The spring operated guns appear to be capable of higher velocity, I am guessing they will also be more consistent. Do they wear out faster?

Edit to correct spelling.

Last edited by Sojourner; 08-02-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to badkarma

Pellet gun maybe?

I got this vision of a pallet flying through the air at 300 fps with a forklift trying to catch up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
68 specials are big manly tank guns, not little woman guns...thats what Shockers are for...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/faq.php
http://www.tacticalreplicas.com
Factory Team
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Spring guns are set at one velocity.. the ony reason a pump is variable velocity is because you can very the pressure behind the shot.. one pump.. well that gets you hardly anything.. but they are very consistant at the same number of pumps.

Also spring guns are usually just bb guns.. and they generally have a very loose bore.. like bb's will just roll out if you are pointing down.

A good pump gun will only use pellets and the barrel will actually be tight and hold a good seal between pellet and bore.. also I think they are often rifled.

If you can afford to get a pump pellet gun, then get one.

Heck if you have a hundred bucks get a Benjiman CO2 powed bolt action pistol.. basically a PG but for pellets.

Also.. before you even think about buying a pellet gun or bb gun.. make sure they are legal where you live.. often larger cities have laws prohibiting bb and pellet guns.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Actually the sidelever cocking spring pellet rifles are more pwerful than pump guns. I have seen and shot one in .22 caliber and it shoots around 1500fps. Most pump guns don't get over 1000fps if that. Of course .177 caliber guns typically have a higher velocity than .22, but the choice of caliber is up to you.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pretty sure I'm not 'Agg'

RWS 'Diana'

RWS 'Diana' is a break barrel piston gun. Excellent velocity and accuracy, reasonable price. And you will be able to hand it down to your grandkids. It is undeniably the best bang for the buck in pellet guns. .20 Caliber is a good trade off between penetration and range if you are thinking about using it to take small game.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma
Pellet gun maybe?

I got this vision of a pallet flying through the air at 300 fps with a forklift trying to catch up.
I am so with you on that one.
BlindeSeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Buy a quality gun first...I say spring-piston for convenience.

Best bets are: Beeman R-1 hands down. Its the small-block chevy of the airgun world. No tanks to fill, just cock the barrel, insert a pellet (.177, .20, or .22, I would get a .22 for game, .177 for everything else) and close the barrel, and fire. About 900 fps will have it shooting fairly flat to 50 yards.
Wanna talk accessories? Field Target stocks, aftermarket sights, scopes, etc. Very cool and high quality.

Donts: Dont dry fire it! Dont fire it with the barrel in the cocked position! Dont shoot anything but the right pellets! Dont lube it unless you know exactly what youre doing. DO Google "Russ Best" and read his posts on Airgun Forums.

Other good choices that are decent value: RWS #36, Webley C-1, Webley Vulcan, Webley Longbow and Tomahawk, Beeman R-9, HW-80. Spend some serious time researching before you reach for that credit card.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Sniper, you seem to be a pretty big airgun buff. What kinds of pump or CO2/compressed air guns are good?

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via ICQ to Sojourner

Thanks for the advice all, I figured pellet (pallet ) and paintball guns may have some crossover.

I had looked at Sheridan (Crosman) first but I am now investigating the other suggested options.

I am learning towards a quality spring-piston gun first but may also get a pump if I buy two.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

aawww... I got sucked into seeing a pallet gun too... dang it.

I've got a Gamo Hunter 220... single cock barrel break, .177 at 1000 fps.
It'll sting the *** of a garbage diggin dog all the way down to the street (approx 300 feet or so).

I love the single cock. You can break the action and insert a pellet, then close it with no pressure on the piston/rings etc, then when you see the tire pissers or garbage diggers, pick it up and cock it once and shoot.

It's also a very accurate rifled barrel for targets or tin cans.
Flatline's Up! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat