mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

Anybody worked with plexiglass before?

As the title says, I need some help to make a basic picture frame with two layers of plexiglass to frame a huge 52" by 41" map. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
What exactly do you need to know Justin? I work with Plexiglass and Lexan every so often.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

Basic use, how easy to cut is it? things like that.

I want to frame this map and it seems the cheapest way rather than ordering a custom picture frame.

Does it sound feasible to take two 52"x41" and sandwhich the map between them, how thick would it need to be and how should I attach them together?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Definitely feasible, but,Plexiglass a tendency to crack when you cut it.If you mark it with a pen or marker then put some masking tape over the marks then cut the plexi and tape together it doesn't crack so bad.Personally I'd go with Lexan as it's much easier to work with and it's very durable.Lexan will cost a bit more but,you'll be happier with the results.Use a Jigsaw to cut either of them though.1/4" thick or smaller would be fine.Attaching them together can be done with either really strong double sided tape or a strong glue that wont damage plastics.The best way would be clips or make some kind of support frame.All of these Home Depot should have ,the one near me does.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Or to be a tad cheaper, use Sintra or Komatex (PVC board) as a backer to your lexan.. should drop the price.

I have had luck putting masking tape down where I want to cut, and using a good heavy knife and straight edge to just keep cutting. use full even pressure, and it will give you a nice clean edge. Might even be able to ask the supply place to cut it for you, or a place like kinkos could use an a-frame cutter to get it done in short order.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Z50
Seasoned Member

If you are working with thick materials (1/4" or more as you should be to keep it from bowing when it is that large) I have had really good results from a fine toothed circular saw, or if you can swing it, a table saw. You need to go slow enough that each tooth does a little cutting (not ripping) but not so slow that the teeth are just rubbing and causing friction as that will melt your cut and you will end up with a rougher edge.
Z50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I've had good luck cutting Lexan with a few different methods.

1) Jig saw with fine tooth blade. It's a bit hairy but works quite well. With a new blade it left me with a pretty clean cut.

2) You can also cut it like glass. Get a glass cutter(I think they make ones just for plexi- also) Clamp a straight edge to the piece and score it a few times with the cutter. Then you can snap the piece right off. Works fine, but is a bit harder the thicker the plexi gets. (You need to score deeper for thicker pieces)

Drilling? Drill a small pilot hole with a tiny bit. Then grab the correct size bit and run it through the plexi backwards. running a split point bit through the plexi normal direction is almost guarenteed to split or crack.

-MR
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
I've porked many

Here is a readymade frame 52"x40" http://www.americanframe.com/cart/in...r&ma=&ra=34198 If you want to use thin plexiglass( less than an sixteenth thick) just cut it with a utility knife and straight edge. For plexglass thicker than 1/16" tape both sides with masking tape and cut it with a circularsaw or jigsaw. After you cut it sand off the hairy edges before removing the tape. Thin glass can be bought cut to size fairly cheaply, and it will not cloud up as time goes by like plexiglass. As far as framing you poster without a true fame, most art supply stores and maybe even hardware stores should have clips that go over the corners of the plexiglass or glass to hold it together. If you use plexglass you can always drill and screw it together for next to nothing.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Check home depot, I think they can cut it for you there too.
I you feel the need to cut it, a fine tooth circular saw should work. (I think dremel might have an attachment)

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

i bought some plexiglass from Lowe's and they cut it for me.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat