mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaddy View Post
As a former PAramedic I can tell you two things about this incident.

He did not have to go is he did not want to. Wild is correct, the public needs to be educated about when to use the EMS system. About %20 of the calls I had were people thinking that being taken by the ambulance would get them priority in the ER... It dosent.

And the cost, most private ambulance companies get about a %45-%50 return in billing. Try running a biz with those stats.
why are ambulances privatized anyway? you don't privatize fire trucks so why ambulances? are there state run ambulances?

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Why are the parents of the 12 year old not involved in this situation? Or did I miss something here?

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have to wonder if his parents were contacted prior to transport. I have a feeling they were, otherwise a big part of the story would be "His parents were not even contacted for consent for transport!!"

As some have said... he didn't get billed for saving a kid. He got billed for taking an unnecessary trip to an ER in an ambulance.

Heinous - why privatize EMS? Because it's generally not profitable without adding in revenue from dialysis transfers and serving other facilities (outpatient surgery, inter-facility transport, non-emergent transfers).
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
why are ambulances privatized anyway? you don't privatize fire trucks so why ambulances? are there state run ambulances?
Depends. Where I'm from the county runs fire and EMS. But I know other parts of FL are privatized. Titus even worked for one of them iirc.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
You can even find private firms contracting ambulances in Canada. From my understanding here it is usually a business comes forward and offers to eat initial upfront costs and expenses for a community in exchange for profit over time. I would assume it is similar in the states. Rather than the community forking over for new vehicles and buildings with their own cash up front, they let someone else do it, and accept the slightly higher price at a later time. Kind of a weird loan system really.

I'm also aware of a few private fire departments. Two were industrial, but had on-call agreements with nearby community departments, and another was kind of semi-private for a town that was mostly corporate owned anyway. Business ran it to cover their needs, and contracted itself out to the rest of the town at a reasonable rate.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

the title of this story makes this situation out to be way worse than it is.

You ride the bus, you pay the man. privately owned or municipally owned, it costs to take a ride in an ambulance.

Clearly, what the off-duty guard did was courageous.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkson View Post
Darwin may not always get ya, but he's got an eye out for you!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

maybe it's just me being paranoid, but i find it unsettling that life-saving services are handed over to for-profit organizations.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
NBA/NFL/NHL aficionado

Location: Either Arizona State University or Laguna Beach, CA

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
you think the news is nuts? read the comments.

There's more stupidity on that page than there is on all of pbn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Chug some V8, then chug a little Tabasco and take a shot of vodka and you've got a ceaser. Take anything after a PBR, and all you've got is some nasty-*** PBR and whatever else you drank.
Cheers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #29 (permalink)
Eating Iranian Happy Cake

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
maybe it's just me being paranoid, but i find it unsettling that life-saving services are handed over to for-profit organizations.
Umm... You know most hospitals are private for profit, right? Not to try to start anything, but generally speaking, private services are cheaper and more efficient than municipal services.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
Umm... You know most hospitals are private for profit, right? Not to try to start anything, but generally speaking, private services are cheaper and more efficient than municipal services.
that last part is a whole other argument and it's probably best to just avoid that. yes i do know hospitals are mostly private. i didn't know ambulances are part of them though.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat