mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

The War on Football. Warning: May contain mature content.

Ok, so about two weeks ago my dad and I are driving to Austin, and he has the radio set to one of his Republican radio channels, listening to Rush Limbaugh. This guy was fired was fired up about what he called, the war on football.
At first im thinking this is gonna be about Penn State or something the NCAA is involved in, but what it actually came down to was, he was afraid that the "enlightened leftists" are pushing for the end of the sport of football, because its so barbaric and a civilized nation just wouldnt allow such behavior to continue.
He sited an article on what he called a leftist website called The Atlantic (I dont know if it is, but I just got on there is it does look like its oriented more for urban readers, so it probably is.) from a woman named Alice Dreger, in which she directly links football induced brain damage to the molestation of boys and young men.

Here's the first paragragh of her article, with the link to the whole article just below that.

" To be perfectly honest, I follow football the way I follow television. I read about it. (Breaking Bad sounds like something I should watch someday.) And the only reason I've been reading about football is my morbid fascination with the two major scandals in which the game has lately been sandwiched: the long-term harm caused by repetitive head injuries and the Sandusky pedophilia story. I can't stop wondering: Could they be related? "

Football and the Sexual Side Effects of Head Trauma - Alice Dreger - The Atlantic

The jist of her article is that CTE, (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy)
might be causing pedofilia sometimes.

So anyways, the host goes into Alice Dreger's career a bit, heres a bit from the transcripts of the broadcast, and the link to it below that.

"Now, who is she? Alice Dreger is a "Professor of Clinical Medical Humanities and Bioethics" at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine.

Now, what are Clinical Medical Humanities and Bioethics, anyway? See, this is why The Atlantic, a journal of high intellect, has her. "Medical humanities! She's figured out there's a link between concussions and pedophilia. Medical humanities! Why should we play this game? It's so barbaric. Look what happens to some people who play it." She's not an MD. She's a PhD. Would you like to hear what she wrote for her PhD? Here's the title of her doctoral thesis: 'Doubtful Sex: Cases and Concepts of Hermaphroditism in France and Britain, 1868-1915.'
"

and a little later...

"One of Alice Dreger's articles is: 'A History of Intersexuality, from the Age of Gonads to the Age of Consent' in the Journal of Clinical Ethics. Another piece by Alice Dreger: 'Hermaphrodites in Love: The Truth of the Gonads.' I'm just telling you, this is her curriculum vitae. This is what she has written. 'Football and the Sexual Side Effects of Head Trauma' is her latest submission in The Atlantic. This woman is fascinated by hermaphrodites and gonads and France and Britain and Penn State."

The Latest Salvo in the War on Football - The Rush Limbaugh Show

So this guy is pretty eccentic and is shouting and what not, and im thinking, he's just tripping over something thats not as serious as he thinks, I mean come on, The War on Football? It sounds like a film made for a class project in college.

But then today I get on yahoo today and see this.
"George Will: Dangers of Football Can't Be Fixed."

George Will: Dangers of Football Can't Be Fixed - Yahoo! News
(This article has nothing to do with pedofilia.)

So, now I dont know what to think. I figure that Football wont be banned, like, duh. But maybe there's about to be a new set of requlations from the NCAA within the next few years or something.

Thoughts guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
Wipers
I'm ambidextrous. Fear me.
Please leave me honest Feedback after any B/S/T arrangments. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Some people can't get over being picked last in gym class.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Football is dangerous. But there are extremes to every opinion. Rush wants to stir up the right, just as others want to stir up the left.

Truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Safety-related rules will slightly increase over the years. Football will not disappear since there way too much money involved. and money greases lots of wheels in this country

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Range Pain View Post
listening to Rush Limbaugh.
Well, there's your first big mistake.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Football is dangerous. But there are extremes to every opinion. Rush wants to stir up the right, just as others want to stir up the left.

Truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Safety-related rules will slightly increase over the years. Football will not disappear since there way too much money involved. and money greases lots of wheels in this country
That prety much sums it up. That's what gives the more intelectual people their kicks, whether they're right or left, they love seeing people scramble like little ants to their side and agree with them.

But yea, they could say outright football directly causes cancer and they couldnt do anything about it because it's too much of a money maker. Kinda like cigarettes.

Edit*
XD i dont see this thread lasting very long before it's locked.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

The NFL is the Highest grossing sports industry in the world. Regardless of what studies show what, football WON'T be killed.

There's a big push in the scientific community right now about this because of a few high profile suicides and the data gleaned from the brains of the deceased. It will lead to a few lawsuits, and some new regulations that may or may not help, but that'll be it before the big money buries it all again.

Several retired NFL players have advocated going back to less padding, saying they would have never been so aggressive if they hadn't been so well protected from the "big hits", never realizing that it was the "little" ones that were really doing all the damage.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
NBA/NFL/NHL aficionado

Location: Either Arizona State University or Laguna Beach, CA

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Some people can't get over being picked last in gym class.
BINGO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Chug some V8, then chug a little Tabasco and take a shot of vodka and you've got a ceaser. Take anything after a PBR, and all you've got is some nasty-*** PBR and whatever else you drank.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Well, there's your first big mistake.

MP, have you ever listened to his show or just taken for granted what the media tells you?
sorry, but i listen to rush every chance i get.
he's been maligned by the left forever only for saying what's on his mind.

i listened to the show about this attack on football and for those of you that don't know... rush is a huge football fan.
i wouldn't agree with anyone that says there is an assault on football, but considering the woman that wrote the article, she sure is trying to do something.
how many "severe injuries" would it take for articles start appearing about the banning of paintball? same concept...

my youngest just started playing football and i played rugby in college with no pads, no helmet, no tape, no nothing...

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barack Hussein Obama = Biggest Fraud Ever Perpetrated Upon the American People

Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

New studies are showing that minor damage done to the brain over a lifetime of playing accumulates just like minor bone/muscle/cartilage/ligament/etc. does. It's called "wearing out" when it happens to the body, however this damage seems particularly bad in the area of our brain that deals with social responses/mood/emotions (mostly just because of where that area of the brain is located takes most of the shocks from helmet hits).

The long and short of it is that these players are "wearing out" parts of their brains responsible for making them act like "normal" people just like they're wearing out their knees and throwing arms. Whether this is true in a majority of cases and can be easily remedied by gear modifications or something else is unknown, because people are either ignoring it completely (the league) or actively making fun of the scientists trying to help players live longer better lives in retirement by saying they are just mad at jocks for all the swirlies they gave in high school.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, give me i second, im trying to figure out this multi quote thingy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
Wipers
I'm ambidextrous. Fear me.
Please leave me honest Feedback after any B/S/T arrangments. Thank you.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat