mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
For the OP: Can you ask your recruiter to hook you up with another chap in your position?
No doubt he would but i kinda dont want to put him in a position where he has to lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
Wipers
I'm ambidextrous. Fear me.
Please leave me honest Feedback after any B/S/T arrangments. Thank you.
Down Range Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #42 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Range Pain View Post
No doubt he would but i kinda dont want to put him in a position where he has to lie.
One of my acquaintances who joined the Marine Corps tried to get me to sign up under his name so he can get points towards a promotion... he tried by giving the recruiter my cell phone number to the recruiter and having him contact me, without my consent. Pretty douchy move if you ask me.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
One of my acquaintances who joined the Marine Corps tried to get me to sign up under his name so he can get points towards a promotion... he tried by giving the recruiter my cell phone number to the recruiter and having him contact me, without my consent. Pretty douchy move if you ask me.
Lol, definitely. I actually had to threaten a recruiter's office with a restraining order. Ironically it was the Navy. I pretty much knew I was going Army but I figured i'd at least sit down with all the branches and see what they had to sell.

The Navy told me if I enlisted with them they could promise i'd never see a ship... Yep, they were trying to be used car salesmen instead of people. I told them no thanks and went next door to the other office.

They then proceeded to call my house non stop and then went so far as to find out who I was dating from another student at the school and call HER house looking for me.

How crazy is that?

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
^Dang! Very stalkerish.

I tried to join the Air Force but they wanted nothing to do with me as I had a wife and kid. Ironically as soon as I took my asvab for the Army at MEPS and got a 125 GT score I got a call from the Air Force recruiter saying he heard I was going Army and wanted to talk. I said no thanks and hung up. Got a call five minutes later from a captain telling me he was coming to my house the next day. I put him on the phone with my recruiter ( I was in the car with him on the way back from MEPS) and that settled things.

It all worked out in the end. Good luck to the OP and thanks for your service. Same to all you vets!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I'm a submariner and now work in intel. I have close to 9 years in. Feel free to email me if you have any Navy questions. My bud was an RDC so i can get answers for you and not the BS a recruiter will tell you.
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
They then proceeded to call my house non stop and then went so far as to find out who I was dating from another student at the school and call HER house looking for me.
How crazy is that?
Yeah the day my ASVAB scores arrived back to my school (about half the senior class of 500 took a written ASVAB at school) i got alooot of phone calls, so I went to a navy recruiting office the next day. I swear I was probably the easiest enlistment they've ever secured. showed up on a tuesday, talked for half an hour, scheduled meps wednesday, went thursday after school, came back enlisted friday after school. They even had me take a NAT test to see if they could take me right there for nuke. Sadly im gonna need to study for the next one. The only problem i had was Steel Worker wasnt available, so i just went with the next best thing, Aviation Structural Mechanic.
Quote:
Wipers
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
I'm a submariner and now work in intel. I have close to 9 years in. Feel free to email me if you have any Navy questions. My bud was an RDC so i can get answers for you and not the BS a recruiter will tell you.
first question, whats RDC?
Quote:
Wipers
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #48 (permalink)
Bob
Rec Poster

RDC = navy drill instructed. I was an AE for ten years. If they still do orders out of a school the same you get to pick from a pool based on the gpa of you class. They sometimes have shore duty order or two years. You normal will have time to get some classes done. My personnel opinion is after that get orders to work on jets. I loved the fight deck. All that fun stuff going on and you would get more time off then the boat guys.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
When I went in the Navy(many, many years ago) no matter what pay grade you are promised, everyone is a E1 through boot camp, everyone. You don't get the paygrade until you finish boot camp. Also if you do good in boot camp, don't get any marks on your Hard card(what they called it back then) the CC can reconmend you for automatic advancement to E2.
I chose a school that got me E2 out of boot camp and E4 when I finished the school.

Where are they sending you for Boot camp?
As a former Sailor of 12yrs (got out in 2004), I earned E-3 pay for my entire period of boot camp because I completed three years of NJROTC. However as has been said in this thread, you don't wear rank until after you graduate.

Quote:
@snaparen
I'm heading to Great Lakes, IL

@Cheers!
I think its to late to get credits before boot camp. definatly going to go in for a few business courses after a few years

@The Flounder
They're trying to get me to go nuke but I im not sure id do to well in a steel can under the whole ocean.
Great Lakes is now the only Recruit Training Command for the Navy (When I joined there were three: San Diego, and Orlando were the other locations).

Nukes aren't just assigned to ships- There are plenty of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. The common personality traits I saw in Navy Nuke's were 'nerd' interests(i.e. Magic the Gathering in 1996), and social traits typically attrbuted to engineers.

Quote:
Ok so I figure after four to six years as Aviation Structural Mechanic I should cross rates to some cush landside job and knock out a few college business classes, start preparing to open up my own field. That or cross rates to Nuclear Engineer and just bring in oodles and oodles of money.
Cross-rating can be incredibly difficult when you want to do it, and terribly painful for you when you don't want to. It depends on the needs of two rating communities: The rating you're leaving can't be less manned than the rating you're wanting to cross to.

Trying to find a shore-duty only position in the Navy is like trying to be a ship-rider in the Army (note I said 'ship' and not 'boat'). The Navy expects folks to rotate back and forth between Sea and Shore billets (there are several duty types and they either count as Sea, Shore, or Neutral against this rotation schedule), and the balance between Sea and Shore is not 50:50. It depends on your rate. Many, many, ratings in the Navy have 4-5yrs of Sea Duty (i.e. assigned to a unit that deploys for more than 90days out of the year) then, you can go to a Shore billet (i.e. instructor, recruiter, supply depot, etc) for two or three years. The end state being that there are more folks looking for Shore duty, than positions to fill.

An important factor for you to consider but, you may not be aware of is your prospective rating's Sea Shore rotation, and how that will align to your re-enlistment. Re-enlistments can be used to negotiate for duty station, schools or even cross-rating (manning requirements still apply).

I would also suggest that if you know you're not going to stay in for 20, start planning your transition now (set goals for how much money you want to have saved, what training/education you want to have completed, etc). That was the single best piece of advice I got from one of my first supervisors.

Steelworkers are closest in function to Steel Workers in Building Construction. Machinist Mates are closest to Steel Workers in the manufacturing industry, while Aviation Structural Mechanics are their aerospace counterparts, if my memory serves me well.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
As a former Sailor of 12yrs (got out in 2004), I earned E-3 pay for my entire period of boot camp because I completed three years of NJROTC. However as has been said in this thread, you don't wear rank until after you graduate.

Great Lakes is now the only Recruit Training Command for the Navy (When I joined there were three: San Diego, and Orlando were the other locations).

Nukes aren't just assigned to ships- There are plenty of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. The common personality traits I saw in Navy Nuke's were 'nerd' interests(i.e. Magic the Gathering in 1996), and social traits typically attrbuted to engineers.

Cross-rating can be incredibly difficult when you want to do it, and terribly painful for you when you don't want to. It depends on the needs of two rating communities: The rating you're leaving can't be less manned than the rating you're wanting to cross to.

Trying to find a shore-duty only position in the Navy is like trying to be a ship-rider in the Army (note I said 'ship' and not 'boat'). The Navy expects folks to rotate back and forth between Sea and Shore billets (there are several duty types and they either count as Sea, Shore, or Neutral against this rotation schedule), and the balance between Sea and Shore is not 50:50. It depends on your rate. Many, many, ratings in the Navy have 4-5yrs of Sea Duty (i.e. assigned to a unit that deploys for more than 90days out of the year) then, you can go to a Shore billet (i.e. instructor, recruiter, supply depot, etc) for two or three years. The end state being that there are more folks looking for Shore duty, than positions to fill.

An important factor for you to consider but, you may not be aware of is your prospective rating's Sea Shore rotation, and how that will align to your re-enlistment. Re-enlistments can be used to negotiate for duty station, schools or even cross-rating (manning requirements still apply).

I would also suggest that if you know you're not going to stay in for 20, start planning your transition now (set goals for how much money you want to have saved, what training/education you want to have completed, etc). That was the single best piece of advice I got from one of my first supervisors.

Steelworkers are closest in function to Steel Workers in Building Construction. Machinist Mates are closest to Steel Workers in the manufacturing industry, while Aviation Structural Mechanics are their aerospace counterparts, if my memory serves me well.
so in a nutshell what you telling me is, get ready to see a whole lot of sea?
Quote:
Wipers

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat