mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Joined the Navy.

Ok so i enlisted a few month ago and i have another fifty five days until RTC. (boot camp)

Heres my problem, everyone i know, and i do mean everyone, that graduated with me this year, has already enlisted and gone off to do their training already.
This means not only has my summer been amazingly boring, but i've also been unable to get anyone refered to my recruiters, so it looks like im going to boot camp as an E1, not an E2 or E3.
The mandatory waiting period between promotion from E1 to E2, and from E2 to E3, is nine months.
As far as a difference of pay, going in as a E1 instead of an E3 is pretty much the same as just giving away seven thousand dollars.

In order to go in as a higher rank, i need to refer people to the Navy recruiters. (For promotion E2, its two people who enlist, or one person who enlists and does into the nuke program, for promotion to E3 its four people who enlist, or two people who enlist into the nuke program.)

So my question is, not knowing anyone at all in my city of Killeen Texas, how do i get these referals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
Wipers
I'm ambidextrous. Fear me.
Please leave me honest Feedback after any B/S/T arrangments. Thank you.
Down Range Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I had no idea the military was so strapped for recruits that it bribes people to sucker in friends like you were selling Amway. I don't have advice I just thought the recruiting system was funny.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

When I went in the Navy(many, many years ago) no matter what pay grade you are promised, everyone is a E1 through boot camp, everyone. You don't get the paygrade until you finish boot camp. Also if you do good in boot camp, don't get any marks on your Hard card(what they called it back then) the CC can reconmend you for automatic advancement to E2.
I chose a school that got me E2 out of boot camp and E4 when I finished the school.

Where are they sending you for Boot camp?
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
NBA/NFL/NHL aficionado

Location: Either Arizona State University or Laguna Beach, CA

Brass N Wood Fan
Well I got my E3 through college credits. So if you don't know anyone you can refer, and you can't get college credits you'll probably be going in as an E1.

A little tip, LEARN YOUR RANKING STRUCTURE. Senior Chiefs really don't appreciate being called Petty Officer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
I had no idea the military was so strapped for recruits that it bribes people to sucker in friends like you were selling Amway. I don't have advice I just thought the recruiting system was funny.
It's not. At least the Navy isn't. If they have more recruits, there's more of a chance that they'll get people who are great at their job. So because there's so many people joining, they will kick you out of boot camp for the most trivial reasons. I got a perfect score on the ASVAB and was a damn Nuclear propulsion engineer and they kicked me out for having a tiny heart murmur. The problem is for every guy like me, with great qualifications, there are 100 who have equal qualifications without the heart murmur. But what happened to one of my buddies was worse, he got through 5.5 week and they gave an ADD test...he has never been diagnosed with ADD in his life. They say he has it and send him to separations.

Bottom line, they aren't hurting for recruits.

Also to Down Range Pain, boot camp really isn't hard. The first few days (P Days) SUCK, but after those it really isn't bad. If you make it through the P Days you'll make it through boot camp. I don't know if you were stressing about boot camp or anything, but I just thought I'd share my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Chug some V8, then chug a little Tabasco and take a shot of vodka and you've got a ceaser. Take anything after a PBR, and all you've got is some nasty-*** PBR and whatever else you drank.

Last edited by Cheers!; 08-07-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Cheers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

The military isn't strapped for recruits but recruiters are. Try handing out flyers in public places likes malls etc. A buddy of mind went through delayed entry with the marines and that's what he did. I know it will seem dorky but if you have nothing better to do than might as well.

@cheers. That's what happend to Me with the army only I never made it past meps. They PDQ'd cause I had been on ridelin in elementary school even though I had been taken off of it as per docs orders and was told I didn't need it anymore. The army didn't care and once they PDQ'd me at meps none of the other branches will touch me. So now I'm an effin security guard. yay.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 08-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So they won't take you if you've ever been on ritalin?
Carapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Easy killer. It's not as strapped as you think. Honestly their practices are no different than any other headhunter offering bonuses to recruits. Let's not let personal politics muddy the waters.

Guess what, if I refer folks i'd get $1k for sending them that way once they graduated basic training. I guess that would make me an Amway salesman? Come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
When I went in the Navy(many, many years ago) no matter what pay grade you are promised, everyone is a E1 through boot camp, everyone. You don't get the paygrade until you finish boot camp.
You get the pay, you just don't wear the rank until graduation. At least that's how the Army did it. Everyone is an E1 Private until grad day.

OP, congrats on the enlistment you're headed into an awesome chapter of your life. Trust me, its 100% what you make of it. You'll get out of it what you put in.

If you can't get the referrals don't sweat it. You'll make E4 in about the same time as your peers that go in as E3's if you do your job and don't become one of "those guys".

The pay difference won't be as bad as it seems if you're single and don't have many bills. Pretty much everything is taken care of for you (housing, food, clothing, etc)

Bootcamp isn't bad. If you're a bit of a couch potato the initial adjustment will have you a little sore but you'll adjust. Just stay low key for fewer probs. You don't want the drills to know you exist.

This is one time where you want to be average. Don't volunteer for anything, never come in last, and do exactly what you're told when asked. If you can do those three things you'll fly right through.

+1 on learning rank structure. Some other things that will help greatly are knowledge based things like military time, phonetic alphabet, and general orders. It won't hurt to givie yourself an edge in knowledge.

I'm an Army guy, but feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'll help where I can.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

The way they told me is any history of psychotropic drug use prescription or otherwise will get you permenantly disqualified . And any history of ADD or ADHD will as well
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
NBA/NFL/NHL aficionado

Location: Either Arizona State University or Laguna Beach, CA

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
So they won't take you if you've ever been on ritalin?
I have no idea, I've never been on the stuff or diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but what I will say is the recruiters asked about ritalin a whole lot. The strangest things will DQ you. The military is a strange, strange place these days.

^^Not surprising. Well there's your answer, Carapace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Chug some V8, then chug a little Tabasco and take a shot of vodka and you've got a ceaser. Take anything after a PBR, and all you've got is some nasty-*** PBR and whatever else you drank.
Cheers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

So ritalin is a double whammy because it counts as a psychotropic drug and it indicates add
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat