mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Dirt Track Racing - who here is a fan of it?

I am just wondering if anyone else here likes it.

My story:
I grew up around it.
My dad and his 2 brothers all raced at the local dirt track. The oldest brother was the one that went the furthest and is a member of the Dirt Track Hall of Fame in Kentucky for his acomplishments (raced for 50+ years, countless Wissota track championships, built his own frames for a long time, very well respected in the racing circles).
I spent countless hours as a kid at my uncle's shop in town helping with whatever I could on the car like drilling out rivets to take panels off, using the sheet metal brake, or just pounding out dents.

When the local track was running there were cars on every block and every car had its group of kids in the area that would help and hangout near the car, just because it was cool to hear it fire up (they all used straight pipes - no mufflers). When the local track closed down (nearest track is 3 hours away) it did leave a hole in the community because those kids who helped with the cars didn't really have something to do that would keep them out of trouble (BELIEVE ME it kept alot of us out of trouble)

I head off to the states a few times a year to hangout with the family (my dad lives in St Paul, MN). My brother will fly in from Vancouver 2 times a year to hit up a race with the family. We eat good food and watch some good racing. I have watch asphalt racing and it just doesn't have the excitement of dirt (cars seem more out of control).
Outside of paintball, racing is where most of my friends from out of town are from. There is a sort of camaraderie that comes when you are camping at the race track with other fans. If you have a big feed of food and some beers, you invite your neighbors in the campsites beside you over and share (they will do the same for you the next night).

One of my favorite things is that the drivers are more accessible because after the races, you can head off the the pit area and talk to them, buy shirts, and get signatures and not have to worry about getting past the security teams that surround them. All the drivers understand that their fans are the ones that help keep the cars going and without them they wouldn't be racing.

My friends love to poke fun at me for my love of dirt racing or as they call it "go fast, turn left" racing.

So anyone here like me?
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback

Last edited by EgoPossum; 08-11-2012 at 05:24 PM.
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

I suddenly feel an empty void in my childhood. this sounds fantastic
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Dirt track racing is awesome. I love watching the Sprints rip around the local track. I'm actually not a big fan of super late models as I find them too big for the track. We hit up the local dirt track a few times a year. We mainly go to the local asphalt track as both my dad and brother used to race there and now my dad is the mascot.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I used to love going to the 'local' dirt track which was 2hours away and taking in the races at good old Santa Maria Speedway. It was exciting to watch the late models slide through the whole turn and the pileups were always spectacular. Man, I miss those times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to paintballwannab

I went last Saturday to a local track, love it. The "race" cars are great to watch, but I love seeing the cavs and neons go out there and duke it out.

And you know your having a bad day when it takes two wreckers to get your car out.
Ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/paintballwannab/
Mcarterbrown.com
http://mcarterbrown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8131

I do powder coating, PM for details.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
I have noticed that the modifieds (not the midwest mods) have gotten alot better in the last few years.
Same engine as Nascar Late Models, smaller car, less aerodynamics, less rubber on the track = harder to handle car, better driver, & more exciting racing
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Dirt track racing is awesome. I love watching the Sprints rip around the local track. I'm actually not a big fan of super late models as I find them too big for the track. We hit up the local dirt track a few times a year. We mainly go to the local asphalt track as both my dad and brother used to race there and now my dad is the mascot.
I find for the late models, you need a wider track then you need for sprints.
Check out Knoxville Speedway. Their track is built for sprints (really flat in the turns) but is wide enough to get 3 wide racing with the WOO Late Models.
Actually anyone who wants to see a good dirt show in the midwest should check the place out. I have been to alot of dirt tracks all over the midwest and south and the venue in Knoxville IA is one of the best. Lots CLEAN showers (you do not know how hard that is to find!) on site, Camping on site with 120v hookup (also lots of camp grounds near by) & plenty of amenities close by (Hyvee, liquor store & bar across the street, Walmart 5 min down the road). My family and I head there once a year for the Dirt Late Model show near the end of September.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to MassDestruction00 Send a message via Yahoo to MassDestruction00

I spent a lot of summers in the infield of Lebanon valley NY pitting for #00 Chris kokosa in the sportsmens division
MassDestruction00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
dirt is for farming, asphalt is for racing

*puts on firesuit*

:P

and you need to remind your friends that it is go fast, turn right, go left racing
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
We have a local 1/4 mile dirt oval motorcycle speedway track near here and have races every Friday eve in the summer. It's bat**** crazy.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat