mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Release the kraken

Thumbs down Ebays new regional searching 'feature'

I know this won't affect most of you, but if you took the time to give this a look and maybe send Ebay an email I'd really appreciate it.

Recently they seperated search results for the US and elsewhere so even though an item is available internationally it wouldn't show up in search results.

To show what's going on instead of trying to explain it, here's two screenshots.

How searching used to appear to me and anyone else not in the US:

How it currently looks:

This works both ways if someone in the US are searching for anything normally only located in Europe (anywhere non-US really), the search results will get limited to US items only.

Currently Ebay is stating that people are automatically opted into this new feature and that it is good(!) for the customer.

This hurts everyone in the US/elsewhere who sell items available worldwide, and ofcourse the customers looking to purchase those items.

For instance the below item is available to me, I bought one because I found it using the old way of searching. Currently I have to go through a US proxy IP to find it; or anything else located in the US.

Last edited by Vegard; 09-02-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ebay has a long history of "automatic opting"... drives me nuts.

But in this case, they might be trying to prevent international sales of paintball stuff? Its forbidden ebay, largely because many countries regulate airsoft, and milsim-paintguns, and its too hard for ebay to know what sales are allowed.

So I'm not that surprised if thats the case.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

If there is no loophole within ebay to circumvent this; I wonder if a search engine like SearchTempest would work out for you. If nothing else, maybe Googling a keyword plus "eBay"? (That just sounds mentally exhausting.)
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Release the kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Ebay has a long history of "automatic opting"... drives me nuts.

But in this case, they might be trying to prevent international sales of paintball stuff? Its forbidden ebay, largely because many countries regulate airsoft, and milsim-paintguns, and its too hard for ebay to know what sales are allowed.

So I'm not that surprised if thats the case.
Indeed they do from what I've heard/seen, been emailing sellers I've dealt with to make the aware of this.

Paintball was just used as an example since I posted it on MCB, it applies to other categories aswell; if not all. (Personally I only search in a couple different ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
If there is no loophole within ebay to circumvent this; I wonder if a search engine like SearchTempest would work out for you. If nothing else, maybe Googling a keyword plus "eBay"? (That just sounds mentally exhausting.)
Currently there isn't, it's a forced opt in with no way to opt out in ebay settings.

Thirdparty searchengines should work, so does using a proxy site and browse ebay through that; though both those options are finicky compared to just browsing through ebay.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

It is obnoxious.
I'm after some magazines from the UK that I seem to have the best luck getting out of the UK, Australia, or Germany. I hate that crap.

I just checked with my search again. It has been excluding international results for a while; however, on the US based search if you go to the bottom of last page listed there is a link that reads "See all matching items from international sellers." Click that and it reloads the whole search and includes internationals. Does that work on eBay in other areas?

It is irritating to have to get to the end before wading through a search like that.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3

Last edited by Listessa; 09-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Alright... So let me get this straight...

Norwegian buyers are locked out of making competing bids for paintball guns on ebay...?

This sounds good to me.

I might change my mind if Norway has something I want to buy... But I've been lucky for 26 years now.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Splash mag hunter

Kilt Fan
Same thing for me, when I search for Automag I get 7 results ...
I wonder what genius on Ebay came up with this idiotic idea.
I use another search engine to search on Ebay now, strange how Ebay want to ruin for sellers by limiting the number of buyers.

Automags.org Feedback

EBAY Feedback

Precious
swe_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_crazy View Post
Same thing for me, when I search for Automag I get 7 results ...
I wonder what genius on Ebay came up with this idiotic idea.
I use another search engine to search on Ebay now, strange how Ebay want to ruin for sellers by limiting the number of buyers.
Which search engine? As a Canuck, I'd to compare the differences I get.

I buy a lot of US stuff and have it shipped to Michigan where I go and pick it up. If I'm missing out on stuff, I'd like to know.

Cheers.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Another reason to give up on ebay. It's like how 90% of sellers won't ship paintball gear to Canada anymore. A few year back there were a lot of good deals but now I find better stuff on forums and kijiji

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
So that's why searches for "AGD Automag" gave me basically nothing. Wow. Good one eBay.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat