mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan

Hawkeye20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Okay... how a knife goes together: Missing the photos of drilling the wood and bone and stamping the tang holes in the spacers.
What you start with:

The bolster (fake guard) filed, fitted and brazed on:

Another view:

The blade with the handle mounted and early shaping:

Lots of shots of the finished knife:

Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nice Pukko! The BFC traditional is the only blade I plan to but this year.
oldschool45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool45 View Post
Nice Pukko! The BFC traditional is the only blade I plan to but this year.
Thanks! if I did that one again I would stain the handle a tan color so the moose antler stood out more. Some other time.

E
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Would be interested in 2 if you could get them done and shipped in time for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I'm thinking I may do a couple small runs of full tang blades (slab/scale sides) using blades made in the US. These will be about $100 to $120 a pop with extra for shipping.

I will do some with wood scales and others with micarta or G10 with a colored spacer between the scale and metal. Pins or rivets (many different kinds available) will be used in nickel silver or brass depending on which looks better with the scale material.

P8ntnija.. if I have two available that you like and you get to me first, you can purchase them.

Otherwise, just a reminder, this is not a pre sale, there is no list, I will update when and as I complete knives or have pictures to show. I will not put myself in a position that I am trying to complete lots of orders especially when I am trying to gut and rebuild a kitchen at my new house and get my current house ready to sell. The knife making is a hobby, stress relief and a way for me to make a few bucks to buy more tools and more materials to make more knives.

E

Last edited by Schmitti; 09-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
I'm thinking I may do a couple small runs of full tang blades (slab/scale sides) using blades made in the US. These will be about $100 to $120 a pop with extra for shipping.

I will do some with wood scales and others with micarta or G10 with a colored spacer between the scale and metal. Pins or rivets (many different kinds available) will be used in nickel silver or brass depending on which looks better with the scale material.

P8ntnija.. if I have two available that you like and you get to me first, you can purchase them.

Otherwise, just a reminder, this is not a pre sale, there is no list, I will update when and as I complete knives or have pictures to show. I will not put myself in a position that I am trying to complete lots of orders especially when I am trying to gut a kitchen at a new house and get my current house ready to sell. The knife making is a hobby, stress relief and a way for me to make a few bucks to buy more tools and more materials to make more knives.

E
I will be watching these. I don't really "collect" knives, but I have a few that I value highly.

I generally like full tang designs and I've always liked (finished, green) G-10. I have a custom one that I use on deer every year that I will post up. It could use a backup sometimes.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I will be watching these. I don't really "collect" knives, but I have a few that I value highly.

I generally like full tang designs and I've always liked (finished, green) G-10. I have a custom one that I use on deer every year that I will post up. It could use a backup sometimes.
Green G10 was one of the flavors I was going to do.. along with camo, tan and olive drab canvas micarta. Wood was probably going to be stained maple (either birds eye or curly) and maybe plain jane walnut. The wood would be sealed with tung oil.

I prefer hidden tang knives... more because of what you can do with the handle. My original design for an upcoming project was going to use something like 14+ pieces of colored spacer material to represent a ribbon that my friend was awarded for combat... the overall length of the "ribbon" was going to be just over 1/2", but would have been a neat effect. His wife and I nixed the idea though after discussions because he likes to remain low key with what he does and while he would have appreciated the knife... it probably wouldn't have been used.

Another neat thing I like (which goes along with the above) is the ability to mix types of materials... you can use all sorts of metals, spacers, bone/antler, multiple kinds of woods... you can add file work to spacers. The key is doing it right so you don't have an expensive piece of poo when you are all done, but instead have something that looks subtle, is still usable, balances well and will last a long time.

E

Last edited by Schmitti; 09-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

I guess I wouldn't worry about over working a hidden tang, G10 handle.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I won't use G10 on a hidden tang unless it's for a spacer. I can't get it as a block and I don't like the idea of gluing two halves together. Like I said, I will do a couple full tang knives with G10 scales.

E

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat