mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
I might be interested if I see one I like and you end up being able to ship here to the states.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MOOSE] View Post
I might be interested if I see one I like and you end up being able to ship here to the states.
I'm in NY. All I need to do is put it in a box and ship it. The question earlier was if I could ship to the Great White North (Canada).

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
I'm in NY. All I need to do is put it in a box and ship it. The question earlier was if I could ship to the Great White North (Canada).

E
heh, we usually just have to remind the Ontarians.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Sorry I saw something about shipping across the border and figured you were up 'there' hahaha I'm on tapatalk and it doesn't let me see where people are from, or if they're green or not.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Do you just do work on fixed blades? Or would you be able to replace the panels on a folder?

I have an old folder that was my dad's that I dropped from a ladder a few years ago. The panels completely shattered away so I have just had it in a drawer.

It's just an old three blade folder (old timer style) but it has a lot of sentimental value to me and being able to carry it again would be fantastic.

Hit me up if it's something you could work on. Thank you!
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
Do you just do work on fixed blades? Or would you be able to replace the panels on a folder?

I have an old folder that was my dad's that I dropped from a ladder a few years ago. The panels completely shattered away so I have just had it in a drawer.

It's just an old three blade folder (old timer style) but it has a lot of sentimental value to me and being able to carry it again would be fantastic.

Hit me up if it's something you could work on. Thank you!
Sorry bro.. not something I would be comfortable doing at this time. Folders can be there own separate beast depending on how they were put together and I'm just not ready to do that kind of work.

As to projects in the cue.... Got these parts in last week.. this is going to be a gift for a friend. I have some Amboyna Burl on the way for the handle.

Name:  PICT0741_resize.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  235.6 KB

Name:  PICT0742_resize_crop.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  258.0 KB

The oval disks are 1/16" nickle silver, between them and the guard will go the nylon fiber in blue and yellow. I'll be attempting to use a piece of 5/16" rod that will be drilled and tapped as the tang nut.

I'll post up more pics as this one slowly proceeds. There is a LOT of work that will go into this knife, from filing the sides of the thread-all on the tang to shaping the guard and spacers (disks and fiber) before I even get to working with the wood.

E
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I didn't get a chance to snap a photo of it... but Amboyna Burl is the ugliest stuff on the planet.. if you ever find some.. just send it to me and I will get rid of it for you. Or, Help me on my crusade... buy all that you can afford and send it to me and I will get rid of it properly.

An example of how god awful this stuff looks:
Name:  amboyna_burl.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  87.8 KB

This will look horrible on my friends knife after I spend the time to stabilize it, shape it and polish it.

E
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I have a sudden urge to smoke my pipe.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
LT.
Post Whore

Kilt Fan
I would love some thing on the line of a Becker BK-2

Contact... Kevin@operatortacticalgear.com
LT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. View Post
I would love some thing on the line of a Becker BK-2
If you want a KBar... buy it. You can get them from Amazon now for $64. You aren't going to find something similar in a custom made knife as the design is copyrighted. I've thought about doing something similar, but: 1. I don't have the equipment 2. Don't have the time 3. it would cost someone waaaay too much when compared to buying the KBar version. Even if a similar pattern was available, the blade alone would cost me at least $40. Add handle material and fasteners (they use a torx style which probably has a special nut hidden behind the scales) and sheath and you are at or over $100 for a very basic knife that I could do.... if the pattern was available. If it was something I had to cut, grind and heat treat it would be well over $200 for the knife.. probably closer to $300 once you include the custom sheath and duracoated blade.

As it is the few that I will probably sell that are using the USA made blades, I'll be working for peanuts on when you figure in my time. Just doing a 2x multiplier on materials doesn't pay me very much. But I'm doing a few to feel out the market and because I like making them.

E

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat