mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Custom made Knives... any interest? (with some pics)

I'm going to be making more knives soon so I can get some money together for Christmas and other project stuff.

Knives would have pre made blades, handles would be custom. I can do slab sides for full tang knives and "Bowie" style for hidden tangs (the simplest being I take a block of wood, drill it and mount it on the blade.... more advanced would involve colored spacers, wood, bone/antler and even metal spacers).

It looks like I may even be able to get the tools to do kydex sheaths, otherwise I will be going with pre made leather sheaths (they are nice) that I wet form to the blade and then stain. I may even have some stamping on them (no tooling yet).

Would anybody purchase something in the $100+ range?

This isn't a pre-sale..There is no list... I'm not taking down payments or any money... just wanted to see if any of you would be interested in purchasing (and no I will not hold you to it and call you names if you say yes now and change your mind).

This is my newer hobby... I enjoy making knives much more than carpentry. Anyways... pics later (a couple months probably) as I get some in hand for purchase.

Here's a very simple sample of what I can do....

Newer knives will be much nicer as I learned some tricks and gained confidence on that one.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
I would buy a bowie off you, no sheath. i have a leather guy local does all my sheaths

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Fluff we can talk more for sure.

E
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I would be interested. I don't have any 'quality' knives, just cheap ones.

But I would definitely be interested in seeing more samples of work, if you have any.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Warrior of the Wasteland

CCM Fan
I would defintely be interested in this. I'm looking for an Xmas gift for my Uncle who is so damn hard to shop for. This would be perfect!

Keep me in the loop!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Sean_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'd be interested in having a custom made knife for my everyday carry blade. currently I use a spyderco assisted folder but I think a knife like what you're proposing would be great. I'd want a bowie style with a sheathe. I wonder what the issues would be with shipping cross border though

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Falcon.. I don't know how much of a pia it would be, but we would have to nail it down before I made one for you.

Sean... I will see how quick I can get things together. I know I need to make one for pillage and one for my wife.

Rover, No more samples at the moment.. the ones I made pre kids were never photographed. I have other photos of the Scandi that is posted above.

E
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Warrior of the Wasteland

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Sean... I will see how quick I can get things together. I know I need to make one for pillage and one for my wife.

E
Yeah, I just thought about that after I hit send but regardless if it's not done by Xmas, I'm still interested.

thx

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Sean_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Sean, I will keep you in mind.

Also.. if people wanted just the knife I can direct them to folks/shops that can do really nice kydex and leather work, some who are members here. My sheaths will be pretty basic for now.

E
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

You shouldn't have any issues shipping a knife to Canada as long as it isn't of a prohibited type. (Push blades, spring-blades, gravity knifes, butterfly knives, etc.) Fixed blades that are obviously knives aren't really restricted for import. Apparently we can actually have a few that are illegal in the US. Cane swords anyone?

Not interested in buying a completed knife, but I may steal your idea to make a few for myself. Making knives and even swords has been something I've wanted to do for awhile, but never got around to setting up a forge. Simply buying the blades and finishing them sounds like a reasonable compromise.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat