mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
Like I said personally yea the dude was a slimeball if you didn't pitch it the way I said.
That's assuming he knew. How many threads are here ranting about that a salesperson is an idiot and doesn't know ****. I don't know how many times I've overheard salespeople give out incorrect info because of lack of knowledge.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
If she has an android phone...why buy an android tablet? When she has her phone she would not need the tablet...but when she has the tablet...she may not have the phone...there ya go...mifi needed.

I typically do not have problems working with Verizon support. But then I have been a customer for like 10 years and at times having a long standing relationship can help. Not always but sometimes.
She wanted the tablet due to the larger screen.
As far as customer loyalty, she's been with Verizon since the company's creation (she was an Airtouch customer). When I told the phone rep that we would pull all of our lines from Verizon, he said "we would hate to lose your business, but we can't do anything more."

www.DeltaSquad.info & Facebook

Trying to register on automags.org? PM 'Beemer' here to get you set up.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Resurgence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
But here's the thing: my mom has been using Android smartphones for almost two years, and at that time was using a Droid3 on her Verizon account. The phone has the Hotspot feature built into it! The salesperson did not even bother to tell her that the phone would do exactly what she needed. Instead, the salesperson saw an easy target and sold her the MiFi device, which "conveniently" comes with it's own data line.

I'm 99% sure that is a paid service as well. Google Mobile Broadband Connect plan. Their website is so un-user friendly, I couldn't find pricing but from looking at forum posts on other websites, it looks like using the hotspot can range anywhere from $15-$30 a month.

I know for a fact to use my incrediable as a hotspot before I got a 4S it was $19.99 additonal a month. If that is the case, your Mom would probably end up better with an indepentent hotspot, it will at least give her a much more consistent and reliable connection then the phone would, at a similar price.

If you're Mom was after a way to use her tablet outside of a WiFi connection, I think she probably got the most reasonable thing they offer. On the other hand, if the guy was shady and told your Mom she had to get a hotspot to use the tablet in general, that's a real problem.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
To be a slight dick...who was not doing their job in this scenario: your mom buying something she didn't need (and signing a contract she didn't understand), or the person who gets paid to sell things?

It is not required for a salesperson to know, let alone explain, all of the possible functions and relationships of a piece of technology.
To be a slight dick back: my mom's "job" is not to know Verizon's products and services, the salesperson is there for that. She knew what she was getting when she signed the contract; she understood that. But the salesperson told her that the only way she'd get mobile data with the tablet was using that MiFi, which was a lie.

I posted this here to get a good range of responses, and those may help me to get different perspectives. I am definitely biased in this situation. Thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited by Zoo; 09-25-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I had something similar happen with Verizon (incorrect information given by a store manager) which resulted in us making an incorrect decision. After nearly five hours on four separate phone calls and three visits back to the same store, Verizon would not budge one bit on the ETF. They would read their required scripts and offered to take 20% off the amount we owed. At one point they hung up on me after 30 minutes because they said they had exceeded the time allowed to handle phone calls.

With that being said, we no longer do business with Verizon. I know this is apples/oranges compared with the OP's post, and you could insert most every companies name in place of Verizon, but it's a sad state when you see the same thing happening over and over again with the same company.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

I changed the title because I can't be sure that the Verizon rep intentionally ripped off my mom, but they did mislead her.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

There is a paternalism argument around sales - and most people conclude that paternalism in sales is best very limited if allowed at all. Caveat emptor to some degree.

That being said I have my Droid set up to work as a hotspot. I also have a mobile hotspot. With the shared data its worth it for me not to have to fiddle with getting the Droid and computer(s) communicating. Its easier to have a dedicated hotspot and not worry about it. The phone is used when we are on the road.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 09-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
1) Using your Verizon mobile hotspot is not free, unless you have the new shared data plan. Last time I had it, 3G was $15 a month.

2) Without the additional data plan, Verizon would not have given her the "deal" on the tablet.

Feedback
Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

I know the Hotspot feature is not free. The $20 per month for it would have been preferable to buying a $100 device, then paying $20 per month on top of that (and being roped into a new 2 year contract).
She didn't buy the tablet at Verizon, just bought it online and then went to Verizon to find out how to use it while out and about.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

My mom went a verizon premium retailer (third party) and they charged her 20 bucks to set up my sisters iphone. I called verizon and the sales rep said that he has never heard of a set up fee like that. Then verizon charged my mom 30 bucks for free classes. I do not know who is screwing you more. new phone same butt raping by wireless providers
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat