mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Cell phone company sales people are the new generation of car sales people.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

As a cell phone sales person, this thread is painful.

Regardless of what Zoo's mother should of known, a good sales representative doesn't sell what someone doesn't need for the exact reason of this thread. Someone is going to find out they had a phone that could do the feature and be upset. Commissions aren't worth the headaches/loss of a customer for life.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
As a cell phone sales person, this thread is painful.

Regardless of what Zoo's mother should of known, a good sales representative doesn't sell what someone doesn't need for the exact reason of this thread. Someone is going to find out they had a phone that could do the feature and be upset. Commissions aren't worth the headaches/loss of a customer for life.
Rover, you have a great attitude.

I would like a new phone. Mine is going on 3 years old, reception doesn't seem as great as it once was (I'm hard on phones), and I would like to upgrade to something more durable in general.

I can't stand dealing with any of the phone places in town. All the sales people want to do is upsell me to something with a touchscreen, internet, apps, etc etc. They don't even listen to me when I tell them the exact thing I want and mention I don't have the available funds to support a data plan! All I do is use my cell like a phone. I even block texting.

Thank you for not taking that hard upsell approach. It's nice to know there are SOME people out there who can work without being obnoxious about it.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by everex5 View Post
I had a similar problem in the past and when all else failed... I wrote the corporate office for my area. I got a call within 1 week and everything was fixed.
This seems like the next step right now.

I have worked in sales/service, so I have been on the receiving end of MANY upset customers. I am definitely making it a point to tell each rep that I am not upset with them, just with what happened.

www.DeltaSquad.info & Facebook

Trying to register on automags.org? PM 'Beemer' here to get you set up.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRedneck86 View Post
Cause lets face it an uninformed consumer is for a lack of better words a sucker to be taken advantage of and you cant fault the SALESMEN for doing his job and making a new sale to help ensure he keeps his job. Again if you dont ask the right questions its not their job to go fishing for info to save you money they are there to make a sale.
Your position is I can't fault a salesman for withholding information from a consumer that he or she knew or should have known was important to their decision?

I vehemently disagree. I most certainly can. Violating moral principles because "you needed the job (aka money)" is not justification and does not excuse the practice.

I'm concerned about how readily some of you (not just Irish) are willing to do this.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Zoo
Back on the ice

Sales/service is definitely tough nowadays, especially with the prevalence of social networks. If a customer feels cheated, there are so many outlets to voice their displeasure. The salesperson wants to get the best paycheck, while also giving great customer service. A very tough balance indeed.

www.DeltaSquad.info & Facebook

Trying to register on automags.org? PM 'Beemer' here to get you set up.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
Rover, you have a great attitude.

Thank you for not taking that hard upsell approach. It's nice to know there are SOME people out there who can work without being obnoxious about it.

Thank you!

And seriously, within my company it is rather prevalent, at least in my area. (The Source).

Most of my staff share the same attitude. We try to have a genuine desire to help people and get them the best deals. Other than the fact I'm a nice guy, it makes sense for a really simple reason. Happy people come back, and happy people spend more.

The Verizon rep is a doofus, that should of asked what phone she had, and tried to explain the features of her phone\upsold her phone plan to one that could do the trick.

As a sales manager (That used to be a salesman) this is how my staff are trained. You can't possibly suggest a good solution without digging into the customers personal information with questions. I doubt Zoo's mom refused to tell the guy about her phone, I am betting he just didn't ask.

Hell, I have been in the SAME situation where a customer buys a tablet and wants to use it everywhere. Very first question out of my mouth is 'What phone do you have?'. Then I demonstrate how it works. Mifis are a last resort for someone that hates cellphones/is with a different provider/has other reasons they can't use data.

If one of my staff did what happened to Zoos mother, even with the complete best of intentions, I would be resolving it on the store dime.

Last edited by Brewtt; 09-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

A couple borderline related comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
Sales/service is definitely tough nowadays, especially with the prevalence of social networks. If a customer feels cheated, there are so many outlets to voice their displeasure. The salesperson wants to get the best paycheck, while also giving great customer service. A very tough balance indeed.
This. I have a friend who had a VERY negative experience with a local car dealer, and posted his experience everywhere he could. The next day, the dealer (and associated car manufacturer) was fielding calls from multiple countries outside the US, and it was so bad that the dealer shut down their phone lines for the next day or two. They never personally made the situation right, but my friend ended up satisfied after having a different dealer (and multiple independent mechanics) inspect his car (it was okay) and knowing that the dealer had to deal with the repercussions in the customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
I've known about the shady practices by the privately-owned Verizon stores, and have always steered clear of them. Since this corporate store is very close to where my folks live I figured it would be fine. They've always helped her a lot in the past, so that is why I am so surprised/ticked about the recent events.
We actually have one near us that is very good, but I can see how most third-party retailers may be questionable. It was especially beneficial for us a couple years ago when our local corporate store was AWFUL. However, it seems their customer service has improved some there, and it might be worth trying them again soon.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

First job of a sales person should be to ensure future business, not make a quick buck today.

I have gone to some stores that offered no real help and attempted to sell me something that didn't work while claiming that was exactly what I needed. End result? I'm back, giving them a hard time and trying to get my money back. Not only that, I'm Not going there in the future. I'm also Not sending other people to that store.

Making $100 today to lose $10,000 in the next year is not a great way to make money.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
First job of a sales person should be to ensure future business, not make a quick buck today.

I have gone to some stores that offered no real help and attempted to sell me something that didn't work while claiming that was exactly what I needed. End result? I'm back, giving them a hard time and trying to get my money back. Not only that, I'm Not going there in the future. I'm also Not sending other people to that store.

Making $100 today to lose $10,000 in the next year is not a great way to make money.
Long term studies have shown that companies that put the dollar above other considerations do worse than companies that do not. Ethics mean something in the long run.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat