mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
My fun experience

On Monday, I got a nice bonus to my bank account from some stuff that I had sold. I had been wanting an iPad, so I started looking at the local Craigslist. I contacted a few people, two responded. One had a three month old 16 GB, Wi-Fi only iPad with the two year Apple care, asking $650 for it. The second one was a 32 GB, Wi-Fi only iPad with two years of Apple care, also only three months old, and asking $500 for it. You can tell which direction I went. I met the guy, checked that it worked, was actually 32 GB, and didn't have any problems with it. Went to the local mall and had a kiosk there, tall lovely asian gal with nice curves, do the ZAGG Invisible Shield to it, for $55. If you are keeping count, I have spent $555 on it. This was Monday. Everything was cool with it, got it charged up, worked like a champ.

Because it had two years of Apple care, I ran the serial number, it came up clean, but was actually six months old, and so it was still good for the warranty for repairs, but the 90 day tech support was long gone. I texted the guy, and told him that I was under the impression, from his CL listing, as well as what he told me, that it was only three months old, and had the Apple care. Never got a response.

Today, I get home from taking the wife to work, and getting a new power supply for the server that I use as a desktop computer (They had another server there that I kind of drooled over...), to two phone calls. Both from the same number. A detective with a fairly local police department. You can tell where this is going now...

So I respond to the call, and sure enough, the iPad was stolen. Turns out that it was stolen from one place on Saturday, then on Sunday, the guy that I bought it from bought it at another place, and on Monday, I bought it from him. Kind of a long story, but the person that I bought it from has a CL ad to buy iPad's, the thief responded, and the two of them set up a meet. But the guy I bought it from could not make it, so he asked a buddy of his to do the meet up. His buddy did the meet up, and not only took a picture of the thief's license plate, but called Apple to check to make sure if it was stolen. Which it wasn't. But that set things in motion, as Apple called they original owner on Monday to ask how their service was. Since the original owner hadn't called them, he looked, and sure enough, it was stolen. So he reported it to them as such. Then he called his local police department, and filed a report. Oddly enough, he searched CL, and started emailing any add that had popped up in the previous 24 hours for a 32 GB iPad. Which included the guy that I ended up buying the iPad from.

So the original owner got an email from the CL seller that included pictures of the back, the serial number. He notified police, who investigated further. Well, by then, I had already bought the iPad. So I was next on the list, and ended up meeting the detective half way between his station and my place. Took my daughter with me, met the detective, got all of the details of the case, filled out my own statement, and handed over the iPad. Yes, with the ZAGG Invisible Shield on it. I gave him the receipt as well, told him that when the iPad gets back to the original owner, they can register it under their name, and it was all good.

Now, I am out the $555, but I am supposed to meet up with the guy that sold me that iPad in the first place, tomorrow, around 1:30, so he can give me my $500 back.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Now, I am out the $555, but I am supposed to meet up with the guy that sold me that iPad in the first place, tomorrow, around 1:30, so he can give me my $500 back.
Is he required by law to give you the money back, or is it him being nice?

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
It's a civil matter. The detective told him that he can't force him to return the money, or that he would face jail time over it if he didn't. So the guy is willing to return the money. But he wants to meet at a police station, I guess he is concerned that I will want to put a beat down on him.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

That's pretty darn nice of him.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
It was good of you to do the right thing and of the guy you got it form to as well. Sucks though. Just another reason why I hate dealing with CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I was going to return the iPad to the police no matter what. It's the right thing to do. But the guy that is supposed to give me the money back? Well, not sure that is going to happen. I have called him twice, left a message once, and texted him once, with no response. I actually was hoping, since he buys iPads, that instead of giving me the $500 that I gave him, he would actually see about getting me a 64 GB iPad. If he is buying 32 GB ones for $350, I figure that he is getting 64 GB ones for $400 to $450 tops. At least he could keep some of the money. But now, well, we will see. But I am feeling like he is going to hose me, just so he sounds legit to the cop that he talked to.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Small claims would be an option if he did not pay. I have used it, and it is not as bothersome as it sounds.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Small claims would be an option if he did not pay. I have used it, and it is not as bothersome as it sounds.
I would try for this as well of he doesn't want to answer.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Wait isn't selling stolen property illegal? Couldn't you do something if you contacted his local police? (if he ends up stiffing you of course)
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
Wait isn't selling stolen property illegal? Couldn't you do something if you contacted his local police? (if he ends up stiffing you of course)
With our laws, you have to know that it was stolen. His buddy called Apple, and it wasn't stolen. According to him, he called Apple, and it wasn't stolen. I even have checked with Apple, today even, and it isn't listed as stolen. So unless you know that it is stolen, which no one did until yesterday right around noon or so, they can't get you on this.

So, I just got back, a bit ago, from meeting with his local police department. He came up with $200, but I admit that I am a bit stubborn that I want all $500 at one time. I even offered him a chance to sign a contract that said that he would have six months to come up with the money, no additional fees or charges added to the original $500. I just want it all at once, not a little bit here, a little bit there. Funny thing, the cops keep calling him a victim, which until he gives me my $500 back, he isn't a victim. Period.

He would not sign the contract. The cop mentioned that we wait a few days, let the emotions cool. I was game, and I gave him a week. He is concerned that I will harass him. But I still have the ability to take him to small claims court. Which I may have to do.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat