mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

contour camera

I have decided to take the plunge and get an on head/marker camera, I was looking at the contour roam........any suggestions, is it worth getting the waterproof kit? are they high impact will they take a hit etc.

any advice would be great.

cheers G
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
i took a kit to the lens last weekend, not a scratch and still works flawlessly
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Depends on which model you get.

I have the contour roam and it's waterproof by design.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I love my roam. But, be careful with the lens as you can scratch it and it isn't replaceable. I put a few hairline scratches in mine when the tag hit the lens when I was cleaning paint off after a hit... (first time I used it too). But, it hasn't messed up the image quality at all.

Just remember to clean your lens after every game. Too many guys end up getting a few spots of paint on their lens and then play the entire day with that on there...

Also, ANY action cam WILL NOT show what you are shooting at, unless the target is VERY close to you. Go measure out 40 feet, and that is about as good as it gets. So if you shoot guys at 75 feet, unless they are backlit, you won't see them or the paint flying in the video. You can zoom in a little, here, check out this video where I forgot to turn on my Zoomcam so I zoomed in on my roam footage (720HD with 170 degree aspect ratio).

This was all shot with my roam, using the furnished tape mount on the top visor of my flex 8 helmet. (duct taped at the back to keep it locked in place).

Headshot Trails of Doom 3.17.2012 Contour Roam Helmetcam footage - YouTube
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

cheers, is the hd1080 any good better the same as a roam?, it seems there is a new model coming out, I was looking at the sony action cam............gah so many choices!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The HD1080 is nicer than the roam as far as video quality goes. You really can't beat the simplicity and ruggedness of the roam. The downside to the roam is that the resolution isn't as nice.

I'd wait until the new model comes out if you're not in a hurry.

Here's sample footage from mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meqTrKeyoiA
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB lurker.

I love my contour, but I slipped off the break with it one game and it actually messed my lense up, so the colors are all weird. It did get hit in the lense the game before but I doubt that messed it up.

I have no experience with the Roam but the Contour 1080P HD when setup properly does some really nice footage.
killjoywarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Look into the new Sony cam. They make two of them, one for $200, the second for $270. Both are around the same size as the Contours. The one and only difference between them is that the higher priced one has built in Wi-Fi. Meaning, you can bring along your iTouch or iPad, or even Android device, and not only view what you are looking at, you can start and stop it from that, and probably even change settings (Don't quote me on that). But they both offer 1080 at 30 frames per second, 640 at 30 frames per second, and, get this, in the middle, 720 at your choice of 30, 60, or 120 frames per second. Plus image stabilization. The low end one is the same price as a Contour Roam...

Sony HD Action Camcorder | Action Cam with Wi-Fi | HDR-AS15/B | Sony USA That is the high end camera, for $270.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

btw, the roam will NOT film in 170 field of vision in 1080HD... It only does that in 720... (they don't mention that in the advertising).

But, 720 looks great I think. I played today at my field and got some of the best ZoomCam footage ever, I finally have this thing dialed in. And it is AMAZING. You can SEE the hits, even at 150 feet easily. Watching the paint fly is so cool.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Look into the new Sony cam. They make two of them, one for $200, the second for $270. Both are around the same size as the Contours. The one and only difference between them is that the higher priced one has built in Wi-Fi. Meaning, you can bring along your iTouch or iPad, or even Android device, and not only view what you are looking at, you can start and stop it from that, and probably even change settings (Don't quote me on that). But they both offer 1080 at 30 frames per second, 640 at 30 frames per second, and, get this, in the middle, 720 at your choice of 30, 60, or 120 frames per second. Plus image stabilization. The low end one is the same price as a Contour Roam...

Sony HD Action Camcorder | Action Cam with Wi-Fi | HDR-AS15/B | Sony USA That is the high end camera, for $270.
yeah I was looking at the action cam unfortunately Sony will only stock the WIFI version here and the base price is $500 (from the sony store....... possibly cheaper at other places) as I dont own any smart devices it looks over priced for what I need.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat